The Nessa Juggernaut rolls on

• Replies 623
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Old/Quartet arrived earlier today. Unrivaled service, really. I have never received anything so fast as I do orders from Nessa Records. Thank you Chuck.

The music: stunning, beautiful, truthful, ... I could go on and on, but suffice it to say that this is my first exposure to this music and it is absolutely beautiful. Just gorgeous. And pristine, sonically. Magnificent job, Chuck.

And to Larry Kart, thank you for your insights on the music. You packed a lot of punch in a fairly short amount of space. The jitterbuging comment wasn't simply a well-turned phrase. It crystalized quite brilliantly the function/idea of parody in Mitchell's music.

There's more 'there' there, but top to bottom, pretty damn impressive.

:tup

Braxton/McDonough (and one from the catalog I didn't have) arrived today - I echo papsrus' amazement as to the speed of delivery. I'm looking forward to hearing both. Finances are forcing me to "settle" for hanging on to my copy of the Art Ensemble box instead of uprading to the new CDs of that material, but I'm looking forward to the unreleased Mitchell Quartet CD.

The Braxton/McDonough disc wasn't in the Gracenote database when I put the music into my iPod, so I submitted the info - accurately, I think.

Thanks again for the great service.

Listened to the Braxton/McDonough twice since it arrived. Didn't know what to expect before I listened. What I got was a set of lyrical, smart, engaging dialogues. Haven't listened 50 times, as Chuck has, and will probably never get there, but the second listen was more rewarding than the first, and I'm sure that further listenings will follow that pattern.

The sound is wonderful - almost made me wish that I had tubed equipment to listen to it on.

Thanks for releasing this music, Chuck.

I hope that folks will give this CD a try. I'm sure there are those who might stay away because it's Braxton, but to my ears this music falls under the umbrella of lyrical and playful rather than intellectual - not that there's not intelligence involved in it.

• 1 month later...

On the way in a few weeks:

post-10-0-38705300-1301350898_thumb.jpg

Eddie Johnson died on April 7, 2010. In the three decades between then and the making of this album, he recorded sparsely - once more under his own name for Delmark, with appearances on only a few other discs. Until his health betrayed him, he played regularly with the group on this recording, in a style that carried an authentic blast from the past. He was among the last exemplars of the swing tenor sound, in which every note carries its own inflection, each phrase a distinct imagery, the whole solo rippling and cresting with the limitless nuance of human speech. For this recording Eddie assembled a stellar group of Chicago veterans; Paul Serrano - trumpet, John Young - piano, Eddie de Haas - bass and George Hughes - drums.

He was among the last exemplars of the swing tenor sound, in which every note carries its own inflection, each phrase a distinct imagery, the whole solo rippling and cresting with the limitless nuance of human speech.

Beautifully put.

Thanks to Mr Tesser for that in the new note he wrote for the reissue.

Edited by Chuck Nessa

Eddie Johnson died on April 7, 2010. In the three decades between then and the making of this album, he recorded sparsely - once more under his own name for Delmark, with appearances on only a few other discs. Until his health betrayed him, he played regularly with the group on this recording, in a style that carried an authentic blast from the past. He was among the last exemplars of the swing tenor sound, in which every note carries its own inflection, each phrase a distinct imagery, the whole solo rippling and cresting with the limitless nuance of human speech. For this recording Eddie assembled a stellar group of Chicago veterans; Paul Serrano - trumpet, John Young - piano, Eddie de Haas - bass and George Hughes - drums.

Never heard Eddie Johnson before but I just went to amg and listened to some samples from his Delmark date. Sounds great. I will be getting this Nessa date for sure.

http://www.allmusic.com/artist/eddie-johnson-p90981

Never heard Eddie Johnson before but I just went to amg and listened to some samples from his Delmark date. Sounds great. I will be getting this Nessa date for sure.

For more info on EJ check out this.

Thanks for posting that - fascinating stuff!

Thanks for posting that - fascinating stuff!

I'll second that; I learned a lot, and about to go digging in my records and CDs. Looking forward to the new release.

Yes! Thank you Chuck. Great session.

I may have asked you this before (forgive me if I did) -- will the unissued track from the session be included?

Excellent. Thanks for making this session available again (and for including the extra tune). You'll let us know when it's available, right?

Yes - here is the program:

1 Self Portrait (of the Bean) 5:06

2 Indian Summer 6:12

3 The Choice 6:00

4 Blue Star 5:28

5 Splanky 8:37

6 Misty Thursday 5:55

7 My Baby Just Cares For Me 6:37

8 I’m Old Fashioned (previously unissued) 5:33

Guest Bill Barton

Have been playing the Braxton/McDonough and Mitchell discs on the radio shows and *love* 'em, Chuck! Thank you for the brilliant music and top-notch production. I'm back to the regular schedule now after recovering from the surgery, so they'll be played lots more.