organissimo coming to Rochester, New Hope, & Philly

We're doing a quick jaunt to the East Coast in a few weeks. All board members who live in or around Rochester (NY), New Hope (PA), and Philly (you better know where that is) are required to come out to these gigs or face permanent banishment to The Dungeon, a part of the forum where Deep, GregM, and Musicboy are the only other posters (and Bixieland is the moderator!)

Here are the dates:

Fri - Jun 12

8:30 PM - 10:00 PM

Rochester International Jazz Festival

XRIJF Club Pass Big Tent

OFFICIAL CLUB PASS VENUE

~ XRIJF's own club pass venue at the corner of Main Street & Gibbs. CLUB PASS OR $20 for single entry - Check Schedule.

No advance single ticket sales.

First come-first served. Get there Early!

Tue - Jun 16

9:30 PM - 1:30 AM

Chris' Jazz Cafe

1421 Sansom St

Philadelphia, PA 19107

(215) 568-3131

www.chrisjazzcafe.com

~ Return to Philly! $10 admission, $5 for students.

Wed - Jun 17

8:00 PM - 11:00 PM

For The Music Only

235 North Main Street

New Hope, PA 18938

www.forthemusiconly.com

~ This is a music lover's experience. Up close and personal with the band in an intimate, smoke-free, living-room concert. You don't want to miss this. $10 cover. Come experience the hospitality of the Levinson's beautiful home.

We're reallly trying to get people to come out to the New Hope and Philly gigs. If you're anywhere near the area, call up some friends and please... please... please come out. If you bring 4 other people with you, you'll get a free CD! Bring 10 and get all CDs for free! (Note: You don't actually have to BRING them with you in your car, just get them to come out!!!)

Are you guys brave enough to stay with Ron again??

norman%20bates%20poll.jpg

If you were any kinda loyal board member and friend, you'd arrange to take that week off, come up here to visit your girlfriend, and hang with us at the shows. :rolleyes:

(And if you do decide to do that, make sure you count as one of my 4 guests so's I can get my free CD--I just hope it has Wolf Biermann on it.)

Drove straight through to Rochester yesterday. Lots of rain, but today the sun will shine. Not too much to report about the trip, though we did encounter a gas station restroom that was truly an assault on the senses. Jim has a pic to prove it. :bad:

Looking forward to the hang (might get to see Bill Frisell), and the show today!

Well, we didn't get to see Frisell's show, but we did see him in the hotel lobby a while ago. But it was Harold Maburn who gave us all the time we could want. With hardly any prompting, he sat and told us about the cameradarie that he was blessed to have with all those great jazz players from back in the day right up to the present. Made me want to head back up to the room and practice. :)

The show went really well; I don't know how many hundreds of people were there, but they sure were enthusiastic. Everyone has been so gracious and helpful. Briefly met Tom Marcello, too. All in all, a beautiful day here in Rochester.

Well, we didn't get to see Frisell's show, but we did see him in the hotel lobby a while ago. But it was Harold Maburn who gave us all the time we could want. With hardly any prompting, he sat and told us about the cameradarie that he was blessed to have with all those great jazz players from back in the day right up to the present. Made me want to head back up to the room and practice. :)

The show went really well; I don't know how many hundreds of people were there, but they sure were enthusiastic. Everyone has been so gracious and helpful. Briefly met Tom Marcello, too. All in all, a beautiful day here in Rochester.

I saw Mabern a few years ago with Eric Alexander at Art After 5 at the Philly Art Museum (ever hear of that? :rolleyes: ). He was very friendly after the show, and even drew a little picture for my daughter when she asked for an autograph. I guess you guys didn't discuss that you have that in common. :)

There were at least 1100 people in the tent for the first show. The response we got was amazing. Sold a bunch of CDs, too! (Gotta love that!) The people here have been extraordinarily kind. It's been a great experience.

Meeting marcello finally was a real treat. As Joe mentioned, Harold Maburn talked to us for at least an hour about music and respect. Joe retired for the night but later on Randy sat in on a jam session happening in the hotel restaurant on harmonica and tore it up! Harold sat in as well and sounded incredible.

We're looking forward to Philly! Hitting the road in just a few minutes.

It was nice to meet the Organissimo boys finally. The crown LOVED them! They sounded great!

I'll see them again when the pass though on the 18th for JazzWeek.

Harold Maybern killed with Eric Alexander and Joe Frarnsworth cymbal beat is a work of art. Intense in the Louis Hayes sense.

I took Farnsworth to hear Organissimo, but lost him in the crowd after a few minutes when he headed for the bar. If you know Joe, that's not hard to do...

I heard Pete King for a 1/2 hour, and he was wonderful, playing a Coltrane medley.

oh man oh man oh man, WHAT A SHOW. You guys were on FIRE--those were some of the best sounds I've heard live in Philadelphia! Just great fun, great music, extremely competently played. I really hope you consider putting out a live record--perhaps including some tracks from last night's hit. I had no idea how much you stretch out your tunes in a live setting--and the group interplay is extraordinary, like you're all in each others' heads. Thanks for the music--great hang with Jim, Joe, and Randy, and RonS, J.H. Deeley, and Templejazz (who it was nice to meet)! Can't wait for the next gig!

Edited by Peter Johnson

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the late reply but I had an absolute BLAST at Chris' that night! :excited: Jim, Joe, Randy, it was great seeing and hearing you guys again. I can't get over how much fire and chemistry you guys generate when you play, it's awesome and the groove is just wonderfully infectious. It was a joy to see Ron S and JH Deeley/Chalupa again, as well at meeting Peter J for the first time!

It's music like yours' guys that keeps me wanting to pick up my horn and create!

Groovadelphia cooks.

I've been busy working on some personal things aka looking for job, place to live, etc but I'm gonna try not to be a stranger here. I might even start taking some road trips, depending on where ya'll are at in the future.

Later ! :tophat: