Don Pullen and George Adams

Hardbopjazz

These two were so amazing together. I've been on a Pullen and Adams streak where I've been playing one of their CDs each day. Anyone else enjoy them? There is a wonderful youtube video I just came across. I hope there is more of this concert.

What a Wonderful World

I really like Live Again (my favorite) and also Ode to Life.

I'll have to check out the video, thanks for the link.

What a great team - as a duo or with their quartet. Luckily, they played Atlanta several times, and I always tried to be there. Their performance at the 1980 Atlanta Jazz Fest inspired me to order my first Soul Note album - Don't Lose Control. I think it took three months to arrive. Adams was from a small town about 25 miles from Atlanta, and they apparently first met at the famous Royal Peacock on Auburn Avenue when Pullen came through with some band or other. (The Peacock's piano ended up in Fat Matt's Rib Shack, where I played it many times.) There was a local TV broadcast from that 1980 Jazz Fest, with the Adams/Pullen Quartet playing a 15-minute "Metamorphosis for Mingus." I didn't have a VCR at the time, but I made a cassette recording through my little portable TV's headphone jack. That sound is really bad, but the music just smokes - I listened to it again just a few days ago.

What a great blend of funk and free, swing and stratosphere. I think I'll listen to Don't Lose Control or Live at the Vanguard or Decisions or Breakthrough tonight.

Edited by jeffcrom

Guest Bill Barton

Count me in as a big, big fan. I'll never forget the time I heard them as part of the Charles Mingus group that also included Dannie Richmond and Jack Walrath. This would have been circa 1974-1975 at the now-defunct Montreal club In Concert. They played four sets, with the last one not winding down until somewhere around 3:00 a.m. That last set was a 45+ minute uninterrupted blues jam that damned near levitated the place. The crowd had thinned out to maybe twenty or so diehards at that point but the energy level was up. After 30+ years of attending concerts this one is still Number One on my list.

Their recordings aren't too shabby either. :D

Don Pullen--George Adams' 19 recorded collaborations, excluding Mingus:

Four Horo albums from 1975:

1. Don Pullen: Jazz A Confronto (1975)

George Adams (ts,fl,perc), David Williams (b,perc), Dannie Richmond (dr,voc)

2. George Adams: Jazz A Confronto (1975)

George Adams (ts,fl,p,voc), David Williams (b), Dannie Richmond (dr)

3. Dannie Richmond: Jazz A Confronto (1975)

Dannie Richmond (dr), George Adams (ts), Jack Walrath (tp), David Friesen (b), Irio de Paula (g), Afonso Vielra (perc)

4. George Adams: Suite For Swingers (1975)

George Adams (ts,voc), Don Pullen (p,el.p), David Friesen (b), Dannie Richmond (dr), Afonso Vielra (perc)

Don Pullen's Atlantic debut album:

5. Don Pullen: Tomorrow's Promises (1976/77)

George Adams (ts,ss,bcl,fl), Michael Urbaniak (v), Alex Blake (b), Bobby Battle (dr,perc) u.a.

A series of albums on Palcoscenico, Timeless, Soul Note, Blue Note, and Jazzbuhne Berlin.

6. George Adams/Don Pullen: All That Funk (1979) (Palcoscenico)

George Adams (ts), Cameron Brown (b), Dannie Richmond (dr)

7. George Adams & Don Pullen: Don't Lose Control (1979) (Soul Note)

8. George Adams/Don Pullen: More Funk (1979) (1979) (Palcoscenico)

9. George Adams/Don Pullen Quartet: Earth Beams (1980) (Timeless)

10. George Adams/Don Pullen Quartet: Life Line (1981) (Timeless)

11. George Adams & Don Pullen: Melodic Excursions (1982) (Timeless)

George Adams (ts)

12. George Adams/Don Pullen Quartet: City Gates (1983) (Timeless)

George Adams (ts,fl), Cameron Brown (b), Dannie Richmond (dr)

13. George Adams/Don Pullen Quartet: Live at the Village Vanguard Volume 1 (1983) (Soul Note)

14. George Adams/Don Pullen Quartet: Live at the Village Vanguard Volume 2 (1983) (Soul Note)

George Adams/Don Pullen Quartet: Decisions (1984) (Timeless)

16. George Adams/Don Pullen Quartet: Live at Montmartre (1985) (Timeless)

George Adams (ts), Cameron Brown (b), Dannie Richmond (dr), John Scofield (g)

17. Don Pullen-George Adams Quartet: Breakthrough (1986) (Blue Note)

18. Don Pullen-George Adams Quartet: Song Everlasting (1987) (Blue Note)

George Adams (ts,fl), Cameron Brown (b), Dannie Richmond (dr)

19. George Adams/Don Pullen Quartet: Jazzbühne Berlin (1988)

George Adams (ts), Cameron Brown (b), Lewis Nash (dr)

Edited by kh1958

:tup:tup:tup

I caught the first set of McCoy Tyner's group with George Adams at Philly's Bijou Cafe, but had to leave to do a college radio show before the second set. Word soon reached me of a spectacular twenty minute duet between McCoy and George on My One and Only Love. Serious bummer to have missed that.

Their Select is my favorite Mosaic.

I definitely enjoyed seeing them many times, first with Mingus at the Vanguard back in the mid '70s, and later of course, the quartet with Cameron Brown and Dannie Richmond. I particularly remember a free concert that they gave in Prospect Park, Brooklyn, back around '82 or so in which, the crowd, many of whom had not been aware of them previously but were just there simply because it was free, roared with approval. They definitely could and often did, put on a great show. Later on, I caught Adams a couple of times in the Mingus Dynasty band. They both left us far too early.

I also prefer their Timeless and Soul Note releases to the two Blue Notes, but do have 'em all (mostly on LP).

The first time I heard them together was on a radio broadcast (which I taped and have converted to CD-R) when they appeared with Mingus at the Apollo Theater as part of the Newport JF in NYC back in '73. I was pleasantly surprised as I had gone to see Mingus a few times in the year or so previously when the group featured Charles McPherson, Bobby Jones and Lonnie Hillyer. Not to put that group down as I enjoyed them tremendously also, but when Mingus remade the group with Adams, Pullen and Jack Walrath, it was, for me at least, a shocking and highly invigorating change.

Edited by MartyJazz

These two were so amazing together. I've been on a Pullen and Adams streak where I've been playing one of their CDs each day. Anyone else enjoy them? There is a wonderful youtube video I just came across. I hope there is more of this concert.

Oh yeah! I thought they were amazing together. Nice group that I always enjoyed. Too bad they did not get the recognition they deserved.

donpullen_3.jpg

Never saw them live, much to my regret, and while I haven't heard all of the records, I always thought "Earth Beams" was the best -- it's a total firecracker -- and that the Blue Notes never captured the intensity of the earlier LPs. On a related note, I did see Don Pullen play a solo piano concert in a church somewhere in the Miami area -- might have been Coral Gables -- in 1994 less than a year before his death. I was working for the Dayton Daily News at the time and just happened to be in Miami on assignment, picked up the paper and saw the listing for the concert and took a l-o-n-g cab ride to make it. Remarkable. The heart, soul, spiritual and physical energy were incredibly moving.

Edited by Mark Stryker

Right place at the right time I suppose.....lived in NY and had the pleasure of seeing them a number of times.

Certainly an unsung great band for the most part.

The Mosaic 3 CD Pullen mini-box is essentially Adams/Pullen throughout and outstanding!

Well, disk three is piano trio stuff, but the first two disks are gold. Not criticizing disk three, just admitting I never get around to playing it.

British Conservative politician and former Chancellor of the Exchequer, Kenneth Clarke (yes, the name's the same), included an Adams/Pullen track in his favorite "Desert Island Discs" on BBC Radio 4. He'd seen them at Ronnie Scott's.

Right place at the right time I suppose.....lived in NY and had the pleasure of seeing them a number of times.

Certainly an unsung great band for the most part.

The Mosaic 3 CD Pullen mini-box is essentially Adams/Pullen throughout and outstanding!

Well, disk three is piano trio stuff, but the first two disks are gold. Not criticizing disk three, just admitting I never get around to playing it.

I stand corrected....did not have the collection in front of me; plenty of Adams/Pullen to go around on that collection, and love Pullen in general.

Well, with Mingus of course, and shortly after Mingus´death I saw the quartet (with Cameron Brown) in Vienna. Great musicians, and I was glad to see how those young guys (with the exception of Richmond they all were in their 30s) are contributing to the music. Their music was a reason for me to believe jazz goes further, since it was quite a blue period in my life when I heard that Mingus had died.

Well, with Mingus of course, and shortly after Mingus´death I saw the quartet (with Cameron Brown) in Vienna. Great musicians, and I was glad to see how those young guys (with the exception of Richmond they all were in their 30s) are contributing to the music. Their music was a reason for me to believe jazz goes further, since it was quite a blue period in my life when I heard that Mingus had died.

Would anyone happen to have this recording? This is from another Pullen fan. I would love to hear this.

“I have an audience recording of Pullen playing at a Carnegie Hall Mingus tribute concert right after Mingus died in 1979. On Sue's Changes Pullen plays at a superhuman level---way above anything else I've ever heard him, or anyone else, do. I played it for a concert pianist friend who played with many of the great orchestras of the world from the 60s to the 80s and he said, "I don't see how one pianist could do that." I re-mastered this cassette myself so that it is fairly listenable and sometime I'll send you a copy. I don't have it here. I think Pullen was moved by the death of Mingus and went into one of those trancelike states where he was able to more than seems humanly possible. It's like the person who lifts a car to save a child trapped underneath it. A great treasure.”