Has anyone found a way to actually kill

thanks for all the suggestions! Jim, the Ortho I used last year(or was it Amdro-is Amdro what Mark McGuire got busted for using? ;) ) Really, really stunk up the yard. Put it on during the worst part of the drought here, didn't rain for a month. Something that nasty, should have worked. I will try some grits or malt o meal.

I also saw some of the ants by a large hill, and saw they were not fire ants! Wonder if non fire ants are killed by fire ant killer??? Some interesting facts on ants in that link Joe.

More info for you...

fireant control

thanks for all the suggestions! Jim, the Ortho I used last year(or was it Amdro-is Amdro what Mark McGuire got busted for using? ;) ) Really, really stunk up the yard. Put it on during the worst part of the drought here, didn't rain for a month. Something that nasty, should have worked. I will try some grits or malt o meal.

I also saw some of the ants by a large hill, and saw they were not fire ants! Wonder if non fire ants are killed by fire ant killer??? Some interesting facts on ants in that link Joe.

More info for you...

fireant control

Ah, thanks Chris...sounds like Grits and rice just makes them move the opening...Some interesting ideas...Though I can't imagine going to home depot or some other place and asking for Diatomaceous Earth...couldn't pronounce or spell it! :crazy:

Edited by BERIGAN

1. Put their little heads between your thumbnail and your forefinger.

2. Pinch.

Repeat thousands of times! :lol:

You didn't mention "hope that you don't run out of usable fingers before you've killed all of them."

Don't blame me - I've never even seen one!

A little more effort and you'd have a haiku!

:D Well, it really is the answer.

If it's gone beyond that to where they've become a real destructive problem,

then Howard's made good sense for the decades that I've followed his advice.

DE has been a regular natural product around this house for the rare out-of-control real pest

(instead of the simply perceived pest: spiders, wasps, geckos, a.o.) for decades too,

but much of the effective products, tho, will be found in places that you probably wouldn't find guys like Berigan

stepping into anyway: independently-owned nurseries that recognize the corrupt policies of the huge conglomerates.

The organic nurseries are often the ones that advocate natural solutions instead of pouring poisonous chemicals

on your yard that quickly run off into your community water supply.

A natural-based nursery in the area may also have a natural predator such as Phorid flies which enter the ant

and lay eggs. The eggs hatch and eat the fire ant from the inside out - usually inside it's head.

The head falls off, the ant is dead and the flies become free to later lay eggs inside other fire ants.

Nature at work.

Beri, you might want to contact your county's cooperative extension. It really is an amazing resource.

Rostasi is right. DE and nematodes are generally a great solution for any yard that is out of balance. There is no magic bullet. It really is a matter of bringing the ecosystem back into balance. This doesn't happen in a week.

Ah, thanks Chris...sounds like Grits and rice just makes them move the opening...Some interesting ideas...Though I can't imagine going to home depot or some other place and asking for Diatomaceous Earth...couldn't pronounce or spell it! :crazy:

Try DIE-AH-TOM-AY-SHUS and southernize it. :) (Or maybe I already have.) That'll be close enough. Anyone familiar with pest control will know what you're getting at. Safer is one brand and here's what some of their offerings look like. Not sure where or if they sell in your area. I sometimes use the stuff in what sorta looks like a fast food ketchup or mustard plastic dispenser (#5168), though not against fire ants.

• 10 years later...
On 6/4/2009 at 11:04 PM, .:.impossible said:

I can walk barefoot right through poison ivy, dig through the leaves, scratch my face, and nothing.

Lucky man.

I just got hit for the first time in my life. It is AWFUL....

Poison ivy rash and blisters all over my legs, arms, side of torso. In the corner of my yard, of all places. It itches like a motherfucker. 

3 hours ago, Coda said:

This is the best stuff for itch relief.   I've tried them all, hands down winner.

Tecnu Rash Relief Medicated Anti-itch Scar Prevention Spray Bottle

Yep, it’s good stuff. The TECNU scrub is also great. I’m on massive dose if prednisone too. Live and learn...

6 hours ago, sonnymax said:

You resurrect a 10-year-old thread with a terrible title just to complain that you got poison ivy? 

Oh well, so it's not a total loss, enjoy this:

uswnt-world-cup-trophy-lift.gif

My itch is back!!!!🥵

8 hours ago, sonnymax said:

You resurrect a 10-year-old thread with a terrible title just to complain that you got poison ivy? 

Oh well, so it's not a total loss, enjoy this:

uswnt-world-cup-trophy-lift.gif

USA! USA!

1 hour ago, Dmitry said:

Yep, it’s good stuff. The TECNU scrub is also great. I’m on massive dose if prednisone too. Live and learn...

My itch is back!!!!🥵

Every time I've gotten poison ivy, I've gone to the Dr. He prescribed penicilin and .25% desoximetasone cream, which took card of it, although it took a couple of weeks. Anti itch medicine will not treat the causes.

I found out that itch is helped by taking really hot showers and blowing hot hair dryer on the itchy spots. The heat neural pathways overtake the itch pathways for several hours. Prednisone is definitely working, but I'm noticing that I'm starting to swell up. Oh well. 

7 hours ago, Dmitry said:

I found out that itch is helped by taking really hot showers and blowing hot hair dryer on the itchy spots. The heat neural pathways overtake the itch pathways for several hours. Prednisone is definitely working, but I'm noticing that I'm starting to swell up. Oh well. 

I never had to resort to such extreme measures.  You must have a very bad case to be taking prednisone. 

Edited by Brad

This reminds me of my Dad in Egypt in W.W. II. They dealt with the scorpions by pouring a bit of gas and dropping a match.

When I camped out in 29* Palms, CA, we looked inside our boots before pulling them on.

* Now 24 Palms, because of State cutbacks.