Howard Alden

Hardbopjazz

In March I caught his trio at Smalls in NY. I can't decide yet if I like his playing. Anyone have an opinion on his playing? Any recordings of his worth picking up?

I certainly enjoy his playing, and every album of his that I have. though I probably gravitate more to guitar players whose style is slightly more modern, like Wes Montgomery, Jimmy Raney, Kenny Burrell, and Jim Hall. But Alden is definitely a fine player. One of his CD's I highly recommend is a two guitar quartet album he made with Jimmy Bruno on Concord. The name of it escapes me at the moment but the guitarists are well separated on left and right channels and make a compatible but somewhat contrasting combination.

I concur on the Howard Alden/Jimmy Bruno duo. Check this out:

300x300.jpg

They do great versions of both "Jaguar" and "Sixty Four Bars on Wilshire".

(The Herb Ellis/Joe Pass mention is of a different album, packed as a two-pack with the Alden/Bruno.)

Guys like Howard Alden, and Alden in particular, drive me nuts with their IMO dumpy complacency within the style they favor and have every right to favor if they'd would or could do more than, for the most part, just present it to us. The best corrective, I think, if corrective there be, is comparison/contrast. Leaving aside a unique genius like Jimmy Raney (that wouldn't be fair to most of the guitarists on the planet), here is a track by the late Joe Puma, who stylistically is in about the same place Alden is or would like to be:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpJz7eTZ85E

A world of difference, I think, in terms of liveliness and inventiveness within, again, a similar stylistic framework. BTW, when Puma recorded that track he was 37 -- younger than Alden is now.

Alden is a marvelous guitarist with considerable versatility in technique and style, and great taste in choosing material. He is also widely regarded as a very humble and sweet man. I thought this really came through when he was interviewed by Marian McPartland on her "Piano Jazz" show some years back.

The first recording of his that I ever bought was "Snowy Morning Blues" (1990), which includes tunes by Ellington, Monk, and James P. Johnson. I think it's still my favorite Alden recording.

A nice guy, I met him a few years back when we booked him at our club and he kindly signed the booklet to the Tal Farlow Mosaic for me.

My guess is that he can play more or less anything but he prefers to work in a mostly mainstream-ish style.

• 13 years later...

I first discovered Howard Alden with the release of the Alden-Barrett Quintet: Swing Street on Concord Jazz. It was an instant favorite and I've pursued Alden's many recordings evey since. He's a talented guitarist and banjo player with a strong discography. He wasn't active for a few years due to health issues, but he seems to be well now. 

In addition to the Concord Jazz CDs previously mentioned, all of his collaborations with Ken Peplowski, the late 7 string guitarist George Van Eps (who inspired him to get a custom built 7 strong for himself), Warren Vaché and others are well worth acquiring.

Here is a link to a broadcast focused on his recordings that I aired in October 2022:

https://archive.org/details/timeless-jazz-10-16-22-howard-alden

Here are a few CDs of interest not already mentioned in this thread:

Ny0xNDIwLmpwZWc.jpeg

OTgtOTE2Ni5qcGVn.jpeg

OTQtNDU2OC5qcGVn.jpeg

NDEtMjI1OC5qcGVn.jpegMTItNzA1MS5qcGVn.jpeg

I saw Howard Alden about 10 years ago in Wilmslow, Cheshire. I remember him playing a tune by Haroid Arlen and quipping about confusion between their names. He also sang the praises of George Van Epps, saying he should be better known.

I also recall that Alden recorded the guitar performances for Sean Penn's character in Woody Allen's film, Sweet and Lowdown.

3 hours ago, Ken Dryden said:

Howard Alden didn’t just play guitar for Sean Penn’s character but he taught him enough guitar that made it look like Penn was actually playing. Howard told me that Penn was still interested in guitar and was in touch about further lessons with him after shooting wrapped.

👍

I've done an interview or two with Howard Alden and he is a lot of fun. I caught him leading a trio in Bryant Park in NYC a decade or so ago, with guest Lew Tabackin on a few songs. He also played the Atlanta Jazz Party one year, though the founder didn't care for him, as he disliked any style after swing. His loss...

Edited by Ken Dryden