Pays Tribute But Isn't Overtly Imitative

JSngry

Tribute to what?

The way the graphics are done does not remind you of a certain brand of a jazz label ? :mellow:

Looks familiar. Example?

maybe freddie roach's brown sugar but i would say the parallels are rather superficial... somehow it reminds me most strongly of the recent blue note compilations (blue note round trip... and what's different with classic blue note is that the woman is never the artist himself... and i can't really recall a similar classic blue note cover with a male face... maybe something by stamnley turrentine)

edit to add:

roachbrown.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Tribute to what?

The way the graphics are done does not remind you of a certain brand of a jazz label ? :mellow:

Pretty lame to invoke BN whenever an album cover reminds you of "something" you've seen before. A case could be made for a LOT of other early 60s labels that used EXACTLY the same basic layout, typography, split between text and image section, etc. I could think of several right now that I have in my collection, including WB (Warner Brothers) IIRC, and I would NOT say they all let themselves be inspired by BN. It's more the era, not the label.

That Joe Jackson copycat thing is a totally different (and obvious) case, of course, but that singer's cover artwork in the opening topic just has a certain "RETRO" feel about it but that's really all there's to it IMHO. And RETRO artwork really isn't bad as long as you steer clear of bringing back those ghastly, shoddy, garish, pseudo-psychedelic 70s covers! :D

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...