Colin Steele - The Journey Home

A Lark Ascending

Here's a disc for those who want something a bit unusual.

caber029.jpg

Colin Steele is a Scottish trumpet player whose music is very much jazz but who uses themes (all self-written) that are inspired by traditional Scottish music. Not folk music with add-on-jazz but jazz built round folk inflected tunes.

A quintet - the great Julian Arguelles (on of the UKs best kept secrets, a player who has explored English folk music a la Surman on his own releases) on tenor/soprano, Dave Milligan on piano, Airdan O'Donnell on bass and John Rae drums.

A little reminiscent of some of Mark Isham's work; the sheer melodicism of the disc has me in mind of the Jarrett European Quartet - 'My Song' specifically.

Two examples:

'Lament for Miles': a ballad, with Miles-ish muted trumpet. The theme sounds like some ancient, keening lament. You can hear it in your head on the pipes; or sung by an unaccompanied folk singer. A great moment where Arguelles uses his vibrato to imitate the pipes.

'Reel Deal': Absolutely exhilarating. The sound of a dozen fiddles at a sweaty island fling approximated by the trumpet and sax swirling round one another in a manner that seems to have more to do with early jazz than contemporary.

Special mention for pianist Dave Milligan who reminds me, strangely enough, of Bojan Zulfikarpasic - must be the folk based harmonies.

If you need your jazz to break through to the next frontier this ain't for you. But if you like gorgeous, exciting, melodic jazz with a totally distinct flavour then give it a try.

Highly recommended to expatriate Scots.

More details (and lots of reviews):

http://www.cabermusic.com/

[p.s. I don't work for Caber. Just bought this with my own money after hearing a track on the radio !!!]

[p.p.s. I like this from the review in the Independent by Sholto Byrnes: "It’s also far more openly optimistic than most jazz and distinctly non-urban, the harmony painted in bold, major keys that are a real balm to the troubled soul." Not sure about the last seven words but the rest of the description is spot on!]

Edited by Bev Stapleton

More details (and lots of reviews):

http://www.cabermusic.com/

[p.s. I don't work for Caber. Just bought this with my own money after hearing a track on the radio !!!]

I'll say straight up , that I am not employed either by Caber, but do have an official ( unpaid) postition on the label. I have no financial interest in sales of Caber CDs but do hope these artists get their dues. I have hesitated before from mentioning Caber lest I was accused of spamming the board !!!

Glad you like Colin's second album, it's the equal of his first but with a slightly greater Scottish feel. This has been a cracking year for Scottish jazz with 7 CD issued this year by Mario Caribe, Colin Steele, Nikki King, Trio AAB, Martin Kershaw, Chick Lyall and Dave Milligan. The music really does have its own distinct Scottish identity but that doesn't mean that it's all kilts and tartan. Just quality jazz informed by folk.

The Caber website is and has been for some time quite difficult to navigate and use but that will be changing shortly. The new site should be online shortly. Sound clips are readily available for down load.

The music really does have its own distinct Scottish identity but that doesn't mean that it's all kilts and tartan. Just quality jazz informed by folk.

Absolutely.

Where Celtic Feet, John Rae's own group, wear their Scottishness very much on their kilt (and I like that too!) this record handles it much more subtly.

It'll be on my favourites from 2003 list.

And well done to Caber. A marvellous roster building there.

Edited by Bev Stapleton