Brubeck/Mulligan -- Live at the Berlin Philharmonie

barryh471

Played this recently, and... wow! I'd have to rank this near the top of Brubeck's catalog. You don't think of this one when you think of Brubeck, it being a 1970s album and all, but the performances on this -- from the whole band, really -- are incredible. Anyone else in here feel this way?

Played this recently, and... wow! I'd have to rank this near the top of Brubeck's catalog. You don't think of this one when you think of Brubeck, it being a 1970s album and all, but the performances on this -- from the whole band, really -- are incredible. Anyone else in here feel this way?

I like that recording also. There's another by this group that's quite good called Blues Roots--I don't think it has been reissued on CD though.

• 4 weeks later...

The early 70s recordings with Mulligan represent my favorite period of Brubeck. You must get WE'RE ALL TOGETHER AGAIN FOR THE FIRST TIME (it also features Desmond). Highlights include free-ish solos on "Truth" and a beautiful version of "Koto Song."

couldn't agree more. brubeck at his finest. some of the shit he plays on those records is nasty! they're some of the first jazz records i listened to when i was younger. classics. thanks for posting about them. i'll have to try to find my "Sermon On The Mount." i remember that tune particularly turning me on as a kid.

Alan Dawson is playing his a.. off on this one. I borrowed this to a drum student many years ago, but he never returned it. I won't blame him as he left a drum in my basement worth five copies of the album :g

Edited by mikeweil

I'm also a huge fan of this group and especially this recording by them. Very different music for a very different time compared to the 50's/early 60's Desmond era, but every bit as essential (though not as iconic) and every bit as rewarding (if not even moreso).

• 6 years later...

I've been listening to this group lately myself and really enjoying it (the Philharmonie album, Blues Roots... just ordered Last Set At Newport). Scheduling a Night Lights show about them for sometime early next year.

I like that recording also. There's another by this group that's quite good called Blues Roots--I don't think it has been reissued on CD though.

Reissued on CD in Japan recently as part of the Jazz  Collection 1000 series.  Has Compadres ever made it out anywhere on CD?

Edited by ghost of miles

If I remember correctly, Columbia made this the last LP with Brubeck, and I had a 2-lp Canadian version (did CODA magazine's John Norris write the liners?) of this that was never US-released. In 1995, Columbia Legacy did it justice with a 'complete' 2 CD set.  It's definitely among the best of Brubeck's live documents.  Almost as good was the two-year later (1972) Berlin concert with that band and Paul Desmond added.

Did Brubeck have a deal with Columbia & Decca simultaneously, or was the Columbia deal for small group sides, and the Decca for the extended/orchestral works.

And how does that all fit with the shift to Atlantic, which looks like it covered everything, including the release of two Fantasy DBQ albums as a twofer.