favorite female JAZZ artist??

jazzlovr1990

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My exhibit no.1 for the case that there is just as imaginative jazz singing happening today as in the 'classic' era:

2680-1.jpg

Wonderful reinventions of well known tunes, often inverting the sentiment of the lyrics through a very different musical slant.

Edited by Bev Stapleton

Shirley Rogers played some very good piano in San Francisco in 1966.

Anyone heard her since then?

If you Google her (she is over 18) you will find High School band recordings of Jon Faddis and Mel Martin. Jon burned in HS!

"She's over 18" ? If you refer to her age, that's a relief : Berlusconi will not be interested.

Edited by Michel

Shirley Rogers played some very good piano in San Francisco in 1966.

Anyone heard her since then?

If you Google her (she is over 18) you will find High School band recordings of Jon Faddis and Mel Martin. Jon burned in HS!

"She's over 18" ? If you refer to her age, that's a relief : Berlusconi will not be interested.

Strong point, nowadays <_<

(the girl could earn enough money to self-produce a record backed by Jarrett & rhythm, though...).

Edited by ArmandoPeraza

• 2 weeks later...

That's it? Nobody knows of Shirley Rogers?

I thought the word Google sounded sexual so I made a joke.

I'm not the first. BTVS used it too, in season seven I believe.

Just looked through the thread again to find some info on VI Red,

like how to spell her name.

Google found nothing for - "Vi Red" sax - but did suggest Red Sox.

Edited by flat5

Guest Bill Barton

...Just looked through the thread again to find some info on VI Red,

like how to spell her name.

Google found nothing for - "Vi Red" sax - but did suggest Red Sox.

It's Vi Redd. Googling with that spelling comes up with lots of material...

Non-vocalists, well, they seem to end up being pianists for me (in this thread): Schweizer, Crispell, Takase, Carla Bley, and though I haven't followed Geri Allen too much, I do like what I've heard.

Though I do have soft spots for flutist Becky Friend and saxophonist Barbara Thompson!

Ingrid Laubrock is a pretty fine saxophonist, too. Cool trio on Intakt, Sleepthief.

Totally agree with you Clifford re: Barbara and Ingrid. I saw that 'Sleepthief' group in concert at Birmingham Conservatoire earlier this year. Ingrid is a highly original stylist on the tenor and one of the most interesting - and prolific - artists on the UK scene.

Edited by sidewinder

What happened to Kim Thompson?

haven't kept up w/ what she's doing for a while but i was definitely gonna list her as one of my favorite female jazz players. she's a fucking monster man! last i knew she was still playing regular w/ Kenny Barron, mike stern, and she had some big name touring gig w/ a pop artist - can't remeber who...

ingrid jensen

maria schneider

geri allen

susie ibarra

emily remler!!!!!!!!!!

and rebecca martin. she does singer/songwriter stuff too, but her jazz records are exceptional i think. the one she did w/ paul motian, and her earlier Middlehope is one of my favorite recordings ever. killer artist. a true storyteller w/ a real sweet quality to her voice, huge tone and great intonation, and big respect for the song and the moment.

I'm tempted to start a thread titled "Favorite MALE jazz artist???," people.

The reason for singling out "female JAZZ" musicians just does.no.compute.

[written by a woman who also plays music, though not jazz]

Most "jazz fans" are male. The only vocals they relate to are from females.

I wish the thread was restricted to "players". There are some dandy ones.

YMMV.

Well, I guess I'll have to tell my 85-year-old, wanted-to-be-a-jazz-pianist mom about your pronouncement, Mr. Nessa. I think I know what she'll say in reply. ;)

BTW, her LP collection was/is pretty much the reason I started liking jazz - at age 5 or so. My mom used to play Monk while doing housework. (Those who've known me for a long time via AAJ will realize I'm not being snarky here, just telling the truth.)

And... back in the late 80s-mid 90s, most of the top jazz DJs in the D.C. area were women. All very, very knowledgeable; in many cases, knowing more than most of the guys I've met who claim fandom.

Go put that in your pipe and smoke it! ;)

Edited by seeline

Nicki Parrott (bass)

WOW!!! another nicki parrott fan!!!!!

:tup:tup:tup

oh yeah! Nicki Parrott is a great, great bassist. i got to see her play every monday night for a year at the iridium backing up les paul. every night, and i mean every night, she outshone the material. great tone, feel, and always creative - even playing those same 15 tunes week after week after week. she should get some kind of award for that gig. not that they all aren't/weren't lucky to have it. i'm just sayin'. it was obvious from listening to her every week that she was one of the best bassist in the city and could play anything. way cool you guys know about her. whaddya know her from? as far as i know there's nothing recorded that shows half of what she's capable of.

Wow, 35 posts and no mention yet of Satoko Fujii, who actually should probably be included twice ;) - once as a pianist and once as an orchestra leader/composer/arranger.

yup. all for mentioning satoko again. scary piano player. one of my earliest reviews (5 years ago) was of her Illusion Suite w/ Mark Dresser and Jim Black. if interested (please pardon my self-references - i've pretty much worked that out of my writing now :w ), see here:

Illusion Suite

Well, I guess I'll have to tell my 85-year-old, wanted-to-be-a-jazz-pianist mom about your pronouncement, Mr. Nessa. I think I know what she'll say in reply. ;)

BTW, her LP collection was/is pretty much the reason I started liking jazz - at age 5 or so. My mom used to play Monk while doing housework. (Those who've known me for a long time via AAJ will realize I'm not being snarky here, just telling the truth.)

And... back in the late 80s-mid 90s, most of the top jazz DJs in the D.C. area were women. All very, very knowledgeable; in many cases, knowing more than most of the guys I've met who claim fandom.

Go put that in your pipe and smoke it! ;)

You obviously didn't understand my post. Hope that wasn't a "female thing'. :unsure: