Christmas Jazz

vibes

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Vince Guaraldi - Charlie Brown Christmas

I downloaded this one awhile back over at eMusic.....nice music but several tracks sound slightly warbled and distorted as though someone had recorded the stuff straight off the old tv soundtrack. Does the actual cd sound like that? Maybe the Mp3 files were just crummy?

Vince Guaraldi - Charlie Brown Christmas

I downloaded this one awhile back over at eMusic.....nice music but several tracks sound slightly warbled and distorted as though someone had recorded the stuff straight off the old tv soundtrack. Does the actual cd sound like that? Maybe the Mp3 files were just crummy?

I think the files were probably crummy. If you like the music, I recommend picking up the recently released hybrid SACD. It's pretty easy to find and isn't too expensive.

• 14 years later...
On 17.11.2003 at 7:18 AM, robviti said:

One of my favorite holiday recordings that you might not be familiar with is An Uptown Christmas. Recorded between 1984 and 1988 for the Uptown label, it features the likes of Frank Wess, Charlie Rouse, Johnny Coles, Claudio Roditi, Tommy Flanagan, Kenny Barron, Jack Sheldon, Sahib Shahib, Carl Fontana, Al Cohn, Richard Wyands, Walter Davis Jr., Barry Harris, Don Sickler, and Maria Muldaur. 'Tis the season to swing!

A copy of this one is still in the mail on its way to this home, I hope it arrives before the season is over, 

I think I picked up quite a few recommendations from this thread, thanks to everybody! I'm buying between one and three discs of that genre every year, depending on what's available at a reasonable price. Another one I picked up this December after being mentioned here and just gave a spin was Dave McKenna's solo piano CD:

R-8641448-1465740043-6099.jpeg.jpg

Now what I am still looking for is a compilation of jazzy treatments of Christmas tunes from the 1920's and 1930's - any recommendations,please?

Edited by mikeweil

2 hours ago, mikeweil said:

Oh, I have that one - a candidate for a compilation CDR that I intend to do. Very nice!

Just ordered a copy - decided to extend this year's season, at least for listening.

I've had this for about 20 years now. Usualy i like to pair/mix it with this one:

https://www.discogs.com/de/Various-Mr-Santas-Boogie-Santas-Secret/release/3909425

Re-your reference to Wardell/Dexter's Jingle Jangle Jump, how about combining it with Tom Archia's "Swinging for Christmas" feat. Gene Ammons (Aristocrat 606, reissued several times, including in the Classics (B&R) series).

Edited by Big Beat Steve

4 hours ago, Big Beat Steve said:

That one even was on CD in France, but right now goes at ridiculous prices!

Those Ammons and Archia tracks look interesting - I think a friend once played them to me many years ago.

Edited by mikeweil

Just heard Charlie Parker´s version of "White Chrismas" the other day, it was a request "Bird.... a gennulman from the Bronx just called in and asked if you could play White Chrismas for him...." and Bird did it, with Kenny Dorham ....... wonderful item.

And a very personal thing is the "Bud at Home" recording where Bud plays and SINGS the Chrismas Song.

4 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

Just heard Charlie Parker´s version of "White Chrismas" the other day, it was a request "Bird.... a gennulman from the Bronx just called in and asked if you could play White Chrismas for him...." and Bird did it, with Kenny Dorham ....... wonderful item.

You've memorized your Ross Russell well ... ;)

Edited by Big Beat Steve

12 hours ago, mikeweil said:

Nice recommendations, but still I am looking for Christmas tunes recorded in the 1930's .....

This has some 1930's recordings, but some tracks are from the 40's and 50's as well.  Still,m it's a dandy compilation ans Louis' reading of "Twas The Night Before Christmas" is delightful icing on the holiday cake!

MI0000694773.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

MI0000694774.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

My family is big into Christmas music. We're still playing it today.

I have several Jazz-tinged Christmas discs that have gotten playtime in the past few weeks. Top 5:

Vince Guaraldi - A Charlie Brown Christmas

Scott Hamilton - Christmas Love Song (also found under the title "Late Night Christmas Eve")

Various Artists - An Uptown Christmas

Paolo Fresu - Jazzy Christmas

Bobby Timmons - Holiday Soul (needle drop)

And then there's always my personal favorite that's not really Jazz:

Nat King Cole - The Christmas Song