Jackie McLean Mosaic

What is left unissued to the "mass" market from the Mosaic box? I don't own the box, only a burn, and I have to say, I would agree with all im-modest assessments of this product/project/box, the music alone seems near the top of all jazz reissued on CD these past twenty years. It's very cohesive in terms of drive and breakout style. Is the Mosaic booklet especially good too?

Thanks

What is left unissued to the "mass" market from the Mosaic box?

The 'High Frequency' quartet date with Larry Willis, Don Moore, and Jack DeJohnette. This was out as part of the Jacknife 2LP set in the 70's, but has never made CD apart from the Mosaic to my knowledge. Not utterly essential the way the Tolliver Jacknife session is, but to my ears far superior to (though admittedly very different from) 'New and Old Gospel' and 'Bout Soul'.

Ok got it thanks. I'll mark High Frequency down in the "serious oversight" column of my reissue scorecard. And from what I have read, EMI is all done with its glorious near 20 year run of Blue Note CD reissuance? Maybe Mosaic will would do it in their single series... I will search for an old thread here but if anybody wants to post or PM me, I want to read up on the McLean SteepleChase era. There has to be some gold and silver nuggets in there.

Ok got it thanks. I'll mark High Frequency down in the "serious oversight" column of my reissue scorecard. And from what I have read, EMI is all done with its glorious near 20 year run of Blue Note CD reissuance? Maybe Mosaic will would do it in their single series... I will search for an old thread here but if anybody wants to post or PM me, I want to read up on the McLean SteepleChase era. There has to be some gold and silver nuggets in there.

I wouldn't count on it. From what I understand, Mosaic's Single series is toast. Scott Wenzel told me it wasn't a big enough seller for them to continue.

Yes, I got an email from Michael Cuscuna yesterday. . . I had suggested the Phineas Newborn Roulette material as a project. Here's his reply:

Lon,

Thanks. Both Roulette albums are good and they did fit on one CD which came

out in Japan. There are a couple tunes from an aborted session but I haven't

heard them. Maybe if we start up singles again, we'll do as the Japanese

did.

MC

So the Singles program is not moving forward at this time.

I want to read up on the McLean SteepleChase era. There has to be some gold and silver nuggets in there.

Silver nuggets, no real gold. The '66 Left Bank sessions are excellent, but have so-so sound. The 70's sessions are much more conservative than what he had been doing in the 60's, fitting very much the Americans in Europe format with the usual Drew/Stief/Riel rhythm section, strings of long solos, lots of standards, etc. The session with Bartz and New York Calling are exceptions, but still relatively "safe" compared to the Blue Notes. That being said, all the SteepleChase's are certainly worth owning. 'Antiquity', a duet with Michael Carvin, is a different beast altogether, and one I haven't heard in over 30 years, so I can't really evaluate it, but I don't remember it being "gold".