Ellington 1930s big-band Mosaic

I got that 40CD set too, just as a gap-filler... but can anyone tell me, is all that Ellington recorded in these years to be found on the Mosaic set? I never went and checked session by session so far and I bet someone here knows anyway, saving me the work!

Oh, and I'll definitely grab the Ellington set! Not right now though, but hopefully sometime next year!

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

can anyone tell me, is all that Ellington recorded in these years to be found on the Mosaic set? I never went and checked session by session so far and I bet someone here knows anyway, saving me the work!

Did a search a few days ago.

If you have the RCA Centenial box and the forthcoming Ellington Mosaic box, you have every official records made by the Duke in the '30s. Only session missing is the July 1933 date recorded in London for British Decca. That session is on the Jazz Unlimited CD 'The British Connection 1933-1940'.

can anyone tell me, is all that Ellington recorded in these years to be found on the Mosaic set? I never went and checked session by session so far and I bet someone here knows anyway, saving me the work!

Did a search a few days ago.

If you have the RCA Centenial box and the forthcoming Ellington Mosaic box, you have every official records made by the Duke in the '30s. Only session missing is the July 1933 date recorded in London for British Decca. That session is on the Jazz Unlimited CD 'The British Connection 1933-1940'.

Nice!! I have the centennial box. I'll have to also buy the small group Mosaic box.

The 4 cd "Best of Duke Ellington" does seem to have 2 cuts that are not on the Mosaic set: the 2 part Ebony Rhapsody rehearsal that was recorded for RCA. I think it's not the same as the version in the centennial RCA box.

The 4cd set also contains Daybreak express which is on various Victor cds but not the Mosaic set. Otherwise I think everything on the 4cd set is in the Mosaic box.

The 4 cd "Best of Duke Ellington" does seem to have 2 cuts that are not on the Mosaic set: the 2 part Ebony Rhapsody rehearsal that was recorded for RCA. I think it's not the same as the version in the centennial RCA box.

The 4cd set also contains Daybreak express which is on various Victor cds but not the Mosaic set. Otherwise I think everything on the 4cd set is in the Mosaic box.

You mean that small set that went OOP so fast?

I won't pay those 70$ or so that you'd need to shelve out these days to get hold of it, but it's still a bit of a drag then!

I won't pay those 70$ or so that you'd need to shelve out these days to get hold of it, but it's still a bit of a drag then!

Yes, that's the one. Anybody know whether that version of "Ebony Rhapsody" is exclusive to that set?

Great, thanks brownie!

I guess I can live without that UK date... and of course I'll hold on to the cheapo box as it covers a far larger time period. Not sure what to do with all the Chronological Classics though... I have about a dozen from the 30s, I think.

I have been there before with a lot of Mosaic sets. I decided that the Mosaic sets are for my lounge on my audiophile stereo whereas the Classics are for my car. Reading Mosaic booklets is not that easy on the motorway. rolleyes.gif

Great, thanks brownie!

I guess I can live without that UK date... and of course I'll hold on to the cheapo box as it covers a far larger time period. Not sure what to do with all the Chronological Classics though... I have about a dozen from the 30s, I think.

I have been there before with a lot of Mosaic sets. I decided that the Mosaic sets are for my lounge on my audiophile stereo whereas the Classics are for my car. Reading Mosaic booklets is not that easy on the motorway. rolleyes.gif

You need an I-Pod with a car adapter cable Yves ! Now, is there any way of PDF-ing the booklets and displaying them on the dash or satnav? :)

Edited by sidewinder

Great, thanks brownie!

You need an I-Pod with a car adapter cable Yves ! Now, is there any way of PDF-ing the booklets and displaying them on the dash or satnav? smile.gif

Funny you mention Ipod adapter Bob. We bought a new car for Lynn on Sunday. She hesitated between two. The colour was the main reason for her hesitancy. I subtly pushed for the car with the Ipod connection and she went for that one. whistling.gif I wasn't too fussed about the colour.

Edited by ASNL77

Yes, that's the one. Anybody know whether that version of "Ebony Rhapsody" is exclusive to that set?

The Ebony Rhapsody material in this box seems to be an "exclusive". I have never encountered it elsewhere.

Now, is there any way of PDF-ing the booklets and displaying them on the dash or satnav? smile.gif

That would be copyright infringement and I don't think Mosaic or the authors of the booklets would be happy with that.

BTW, Hans, I remember you mentioned a few months ago that Mosaic were thinking of using sturdier boxes for shipping. Do you know if they have already been introduced or if it is still a project?

Edited by ASNL77

Now, is there any way of PDF-ing the booklets and displaying them on the dash or satnav? smile.gif

That would be copyright infringement and I don't think Mosaic or the authors of the booklets would be happy with that.

BTW, Hans, I remember you mentioned a few months ago that Mosaic were thinking of using sturdier boxes for shipping. Do you know if they have already been introduced or if it is still a project?

I have no idea. Perhaps someone who recently placed an order can chime in. I won't know until my next set, which will be the Ellington.

The Ebony Rhapsody material in this box seems to be an "exclusive". I have never encountered it elsewhere.

These Ebony Rhapsody recordings were recorded (but not used) for the movie "Murder At The Vaneties". Though I'm very happy having them on CD I never understood what they are doing on a "Best Of CD" set.

For more information see DEMS bulletin 03/2 and 03/3

Edited by Stompy Jones

These Ebony Rhapsody recordings were recorded (but not used) for the movie "Murder At The Vaneties". Though I'm very happy having them on CD I never understood what they are doing on a "Best Of CD" set.

For more information see DEMS bulletin 03/2 and 03/3

Thanks. Does this mean the cuts found on the 4cd set are the "promo" recordings? (I'd better ask Sjef. )

Now, is there any way of PDF-ing the booklets and displaying them on the dash or satnav? :)

Er - You didn't think I was being serious I hope? :unsure:

Edited by sidewinder

Now, is there any way of PDF-ing the booklets and displaying them on the dash or satnav? :)

Er - You didn't think I was being serious I hope? :unsure:

Not really, no; just thought I'd mention it :)

Er - You didn't think I was being serious I hope? unsure.gif

Not really, no; just thought I'd mention it smile.gif

More importantly, the guy in the car in front of you won't be happy when you slam into his rear end because you're too busy reading a Mosaic booklet on your dashboard satnav to notice that he just put on the brakes. ohmy.gif

Just checked and see I paid $14.89 (including shipping) for the 4 disc set. An wonderful deal.

Yes it was, mine cost £5.68

Unfortunately the Mosaic is going to cost an awful lot more, when you add in $45 shipping and potential customs charges.

Yes, the 4cd set may have been the bargain of our lifetime.

Er - You didn't think I was being serious I hope? unsure.gif

Not really, no; just thought I'd mention it smile.gif

More importantly, the guy in the car in front of you won't be happy when you slam into his rear end because you're too busy reading a Mosaic booklet on your dashboard satnav to notice that he just put on the brakes. ohmy.gif

:lol:

Whilst trying to double check the sax lineup for the 'zz' tracks in the Maynard Ferguson set, perhaps?

Edited by sidewinder