Ellington 1930s big-band Mosaic

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I was just kidding, of course. I have the RCA Centennial Set and the quality of the music and sound always leaves me stunned.

I have most of the French RCA double LPs which I will sell after the box has arived - some open space on the shelf, at last!

Edited by mikeweil

I was just kidding, of course. I have the RCA Centennial Set and the quality of the music and sound always leaves me stunned.

I have most of the French RCA double LPs which I will sell after the box has arived - some open space on the shelf, at last!

If you meant French CBS doubles then they sound massively inferior to quality achieved on the Mosaic 30s big band set. I've some of the material on original US and UK 78s and the Mosaic sounds very true to these. In some cases surpassing the 78s because of sources used for transfers in the Mosaic.

I have succumbed to the temptation that the very favorable pricing currently offered for this set hath wrought upon me.

I've had this set on my Mosaic wishlist for some time. My wife and kids consult my wish list at times when they want to buy me a gift - and quite honestly, I don't expect them to fork over $179 for anything for me. So this $159 price looked to be a great opportunity for me and I seized it.

Looking forward to listening

Same here, although it is a lesser deal with the change rate not favorable , intially with the shipping it went around 200 $ in Canadian money just for the Ellington set, added up two other sets to sweeten the deal (shipping rate wise). Bit of a shame they stop doing Selects as they were cheaper.

Nonetheless excited to listen to my new acquisitions not a bad trio The Duke,The Hawk and Mingus should be a good summer

Edited by Van Basten II

In the Mingus case, it was a question more of when I'd buy it than if , economically it's not very good buying stuff from the US since a while, music wise if there was a simple way of obtaining everything he did and hopefully in the best shape sound wise I'd probably be jumping on it

Is the site slow for everyone or just me

Edited by Van Basten II

• 2 weeks later...

I usually don't get charged immediately but a nasty little letter follows a couple of weeks later.

Last time the PO did a Mosaic delivery you had to settle up (online) before they released it for delivery. That Canadian they have in charge these days is far too efficient !

The mail carrier endeavored to complete his rounds through the cobblestoned streets. Fast and Furious was he, like Lightnin’, until he ran over Ducky Wucky. A few too many Jazz Cocktails may have been the problem. The Eerie Moan of Ducky Wucky’s demise haunted him for many years. It is the Saddest Tale in all of Mosaic delivery lore.

CobblestoneStreet.jpg

JazzCocktail.jpg

dead_duck.jpg

Ok, Back to the Music

Ah, I always have mine sent by courier. Can't wait for the wheels of Royal Mail to creak along when a Mosaic's in the offing.

Wheels clacking on cobblestones as they go?

Of course, this is where I live:

Logo_1975.JPG

And this is how they used to deliver Mosaics before privatisation:

• 2 weeks later...