Ellington 1930s big-band Mosaic

Got my Ellington set a couple of days ago. It's a wonderful set with quite a few recordings I didn't already have, but the sound is a disappointment, at least to my ears - it could have done with a lot less harshness, it's a bit of an earbleeder here and there. I have the same problem with the big RCA Ellington Centennial box. Pity.

I found the sound got better (less harsh) around disk 5. Hope you will find the same thing.

I just played disc 5 and the harshness was still there. I'm now listening to track 6 on disc 6 and so far the sound seems a bit better on this disc.

[edit]

The sound on disc 6 is indeed better than on the previous 5. Great music!

Initially I was SLIGHTLY disappointed with the sound of the first 4 to 5 disks (unrealistic expectations?), comparing it to the Lasker remastered/restored Ellington small groups set---I failed to factor in that disks 1-5 in the new Ellington big band set were recorded BEFORE the Ellington small group set was recorded. Of course recording technology and even perhaps Lasker's source material was better for the small band set. I'm GLAD you (and everyone on the forum) seems to be enjoying the set. I certainly am, and will continue to uncover "new things" about this music for some time to come.

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm finally listening to this set - the UPS guy dropped it on my porch today. I have no problem with the sound on disc one, considering when it was recorded. Brunswick and Columbia 78s never sounded as good as Victor's, anyway, and I'm happy enough with the sound. I didn't notice any problems taking the CDs out, but I generally use a pretty good bit of downward pressure on the tines.

After one disc, my reaction is that this set is a revelation. I thought I was pretty conversant with this body of work, but I didn't know the half of it.

Got my Ellington set a couple of days ago. It's a wonderful set with quite a few recordings I didn't already have, but the sound is a disappointment, at least to my ears - it could have done with a lot less harshness, it's a bit of an earbleeder here and there. I have the same problem with the big RCA Ellington Centennial box. Pity.

How do the transfers compare with your earlier versions of this music?

Just received my copy of this set. So far listen through Discs 1-4 ,5,8. Unlike some I'd have no problems with the sound which strikes me as quite faithful to the original 78s. Compared to the French LP release it's much cleaner, relatively forward sounding but certainly not harsh. I've around a dozen or so sides from this set on 78 ( mainly UK Brunswicks). The sound here in the set bears close and favourable comparison, only Mosaic had access to better copies than I have so there are fewer clicks. I've not heard any other CD transfers of this material. Perhaps harshness is a playback system issue for some posters but I don't hear it- and my HiFi set up is pretty revealing.

It's a great set, which I think can be bought with confidence if you're interested in the music.

Just received my copy of this set. So far listen through Discs 1-4 ,5,8. Unlike some I'd have no problems with the sound which strikes me as quite faithful to the original 78s. Compared to the French LP release it's much cleaner, relatively forward sounding but certainly not harsh. I've around a dozen or so sides from this set on 78 ( mainly UK Brunswicks). The sound here in the set bears close and favourable comparison, only Mosaic had access to better copies than I have so there are fewer clicks. I've not heard any other CD transfers of this material. Perhaps harshness is a playback system issue for some posters but I don't hear it- and my HiFi set up is pretty revealing.

It's a great set, which I think can be bought with confidence if you're interested in the music.

Well, harshness is certainly not an issue with my system, on the contrary. I've not heard the original 78s and if the Mosaic as you say bears close and favourable comparison, I can only say that the people responsible for the sound on this set are to be commended for not having tampered with it. Nevertheless, the first few discs sound harsh to me on various systems, but knowing now that the sound resembles the 78s, it might be easier to take :) Anyway, I love the set and it fills quite a few holes in my Ellington collection.

Thanks for posting your review.

Well, after thinking that the complaints about how hard the CDs are to remove were kind of trivial, I seem to be the first one here to have ruined a disc while removing it from the case. I forgot to be careful with disc 6; it resisted, then came loose suddenly and scraped against the corner of the jewel box, leaving two nasty scratches. I tried playing it, but several of the early tracks were skipping, so I got too depressed to play the rest of it. But I've called Mosaic, they're sending me another disc. Thanks, Scott!

Well, after thinking that the complaints about how hard the CDs are to remove were kind of trivial, I seem to be the first one here to have ruined a disc while removing it from the case. I forgot to be careful with disc 6; it resisted, then came loose suddenly and scraped against the corner of the jewel box, leaving two nasty scratches. I tried playing it, but several of the early tracks were skipping, so I got too depressed to play the rest of it. But I've called Mosaic, they're sending me another disc. Thanks, Scott!

As Scott told me, they are "painfully aware of the problem".

As Scott told me, they are "painfully aware of the problem".

It has been going on for years!

Ouch!

:(

Ouch!

That's great that Mosaic is replacing the disk, but still, OUCH! :bad: Hopefully you'll get the disk soon!

As a 78 collector, I have noticed that although there are always exceptions, the sound quality of records changed every few years. Early electricals often have a kind of wooden boxy sound. In the beginning of the depression, sound quality dipped a bit and became a bit rougher on the lower priced records, probably because of declining sales and competition with radio. By 1933-34, sound was remarkably good. Around 1940, RCA Victor seems to have started polishing the metal parts, creating a smooth but upholstered sound. The early Ellington sides on the Mosaic box are perfectly in line with what records from the beginning of the depression sound like.

Wow, I hadn't played disc 6 yet in my set until tonight, but it was brutal trying to get it out safely, I almost broke it, despite the warning here, which I had read in advance.

I still get chills seeing how that disc resisted coming out.

Ouch!

That's great that Mosaic is replacing the disk, but still, OUCH! :bad: Hopefully you'll get the disk soon!

Just arrived!

Ouch!

Just arrived!

Glad that the replacement cd came so quickly!!! :g:tup:party: Mosaic is a classy company with loyal, long-term customers.

• 4 weeks later...

I found the sound got better (less harsh) around disk 5. Hope you will find the same thing.

I just played disc 5 and the harshness was still there. I'm now listening to track 6 on disc 6 and so far the sound seems a bit better on this disc.

[edit]

The sound on disc 6 is indeed better than on the previous 5. Great music!

I was just reading the liner notes and I noticed that it states that the session with 'Love is like a Cigarette' which is at beginning of Disk 6 was the last one recorded on wax blanks.

From the next session on, acetate blanks were used.

• 1 year later...

Is there a set available on a different label which collects the "cream" of the Ellington 32-40 music? I don't know if I want to pop for the price of the Mosaic.

Nothing beats the superb quality of the Mosaic, including the relatively good sound. I expressed some doubts about the sound on the earlier discs earlier on, but after repeated listening I must admit that those doubts are unjustified.

Is there a set available on a different label which collects the "cream" of the Ellington 32-40 music? I don't know if I want to pop for the price of the Mosaic.

Nothing beats the superb quality of the Mosaic, including the relatively good sound. I expressed some doubts about the sound on the earlier discs earlier on, but after repeated listening I must admit that those doubts are unjustified.

If Hans says it sounds OK, then.................it sounds OK :D