Ellington 1930s big-band Mosaic

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Has anyone called to preorder this???

I tried and they wouldn't take my money.... :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: Said they needed to wait a few weeks to get a more solid release date.... <_< <_< <_<

Why not wait until they're ready to take your money and the set's up for pre-order on their site?

Looking forward to this.

Although the RCA's have been available in various forms in my listening lifetime a comprehensive collection of the Columbia years has been elusive (I believe there was something on LP before I really got interested in the early 80s). I have things scattered over various Classics and ASV discs. Be good to have this - though I suspect that by the time customs have spotted it I'll have paid a fortune!

1925-1940 Columbia was on 15 2 LP sets. Not complete but still...

When did that come out?

I snapped up the RCA black and white twofers in the mid-80s but don't recall ever seeing theose. Perhaps they didn't appear in Britain or had been discontinued by then. Getting imports involved a lot more work in those days.

Those LPs were released by CBS France in the 1970s.

Don't think there was that much missing from the French CBS double LP series.

The full 15 volumes gathered 471 sides (big band, small units, et al).

Only problem was that the engineers could not do much to ameliorate the original sound of the releases.

Hope Mosaic will be doing its usual best to give us these marvels in good sound!

The RCA Centenial box worked out of better sounding material!

The quantity of Ellington on my streaming service is insane. With LPs on the streaming service it is usually pretty easy to understand what you are listening to, but with the endless anthologies and collections of 78-era music it is most certainly not. For information, the wonderful Columbia Original Masters set (which the Mosaic expands on) is out there and streamable, as well as the Reprise, the Private Collection, comprehensive but not entirely reputable 'complete' and 'anthology' series, 30 volumes of 'selected favorites', various concerts and radio broadcasts etc etc. How you make sense of it and work out what you are listening to is another matter.

Incidentally material from the dodgy euro-jazz labels is often out there too - streaming is an easy way to access them without feeling you are handing over your hard earned $$$ to operations you don't approve of.

Here's an attempt to catalogue EKE tracks on cd. You do need to know the name of the cd the track is from and it's neither complete nor user friendly but it is a start:

http://www.ellingtonweb.ca/Hostedpages/CDCatalogue/CD-Lists.htm

Thanks for the link - it is very useful. I 'll never be an expert but it's enough to keep me going!

Yeah, we won't see a Mosaic set of the Basie Columbias

gregmo

Why? - has there been some previous discussion on this topic

What do you & Chuck know?

The chance of a Basie Columbia Mosaic is gone with the release of the Lester Young Mosaic.

Not to mention the fact that Columbia already issued a 4-cd compilation that was pretty good, and the Andorrans already did a couple of complete Basie Masters sets on Definitive. The market for that one is shot for Mosaic. No money in it at all.

gregmo

Does anyone happen to know how much overlap there is between this set and the corresponding years on the 40CD box that came out a few years ago (I think it was just called "The Duke: Complete Recordings, 1924-1947) ?

I don't have that set, but I'm sure if it is what the title purports to be there would be quite a bit of overlap. The Mosaic is going to sound a lot better and have a great booklet. AND I wager material not on the other set.

Does anyone happen to know how much overlap there is between this set and the corresponding years on the 40CD box that came out a few years ago (I think it was just called "The Duke: Complete Recordings, 1924-1947) ?

I don't have that set, but I'm sure if it is what the title purports to be there would be quite a bit of overlap. The Mosaic is going to sound a lot better and have a great booklet. AND I wager material not on the other set.

I agree, the Mosaic will no doubt be a much better option sonically, and I love the booklets.