Ellington 1930s big-band Mosaic

I'm confused.

I too have the 2 'Hit of the week' titles on the Naxos CD but shouldn't they be included in the list of 47 above?

They are from March 1930, and the Mosaic is: DUKE ELLINGTON: THE COMPLETE 1932-1940 BRUNSWICK, COLUMBIA AND MASTER RECORDINGS.

Whether those titles are, or are not, Columbia masters, they're too early.

I am aware of that, all of the titles in that list of 47 are before 1932.

So is the difference that those 47 are available to Columbia but the Hit of the Week 2 are not?

Hit Of The Week records were issued during 1930-1932 by Durium. They were cardboard single sided records sold only at newsstands at 15c.

Sony (OkeH, Columbia, Plaza, ARC etc.) had nothing to do with it.

Boardmember Durium has a website devoted to these records. www.durium.opweb.nl/how.htm He also wrote the booklets with the Archeophone issues The Complete Hit Of The Week Recordings vol. 1, 2, 3. Vol. 4 still to come I hope.

Vol. 1 has the Ellington sides

Vol. 2 has the extremly rare Eva Taylor side "De Trouble I've Seen"

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm confused.

I too have the 2 'Hit of the week' titles on the Naxos CD but shouldn't they be included in the list of 47 above?

They are from March 1930, and the Mosaic is: DUKE ELLINGTON: THE COMPLETE 1932-1940 BRUNSWICK, COLUMBIA AND MASTER RECORDINGS.

Whether those titles are, or are not, Columbia masters, they're too early.

I am aware of that, all of the titles in that list of 47 are before 1932.

So is the difference that those 47 are available to Columbia but the Hit of the Week 2 are not?

Hit Of The Week records were issued during 1930-1932 by Durium. They were cardboard single sided records sold only at newsstands at 15c.

Sony (OkeH, Columbia, Plaza, ARC etc.) had nothing to do with it.

Boardmember Durium has a website devoted to these records. www.durium.opweb.nl/how.htm He also wrote the booklets with the Archeophone issues The Complete Hit Of The Week Recordings vol. 1, 2, 3. Vol. 4 still to come I hope.

Vol. 1 has the Ellington sides

Vol. 2 has the extremly rare Eva Taylor side "De Trouble I've Seen"

Thank you

Edited by Steve Gray

The 4 cd "Best of Duke Ellington" does seem to have 2 cuts that are not on the Mosaic set: the 2 part Ebony Rhapsody rehearsal that was recorded for RCA. I think it's not the same as the version in the centennial RCA box.

The 4cd set also contains Daybreak express which is on various Victor cds but not the Mosaic set.  Otherwise I think everything on the 4cd set is in the Mosaic box.

You mean that small set that went OOP so fast?

I won't pay those 70$ or so that you'd need to shelve out these days to get hold of it, but it's still a bit of a drag then!

Can someone please post a cover of that set?

This one?

1269907111_cover.jpg

Interesting...my copy doesn't have that "JazzBluesClub" printing under Duke's chin. Are there different editions of it, I wonder?

My spine info is:

ORIGINAL MASTERS 88697302362 RCAVictor COLUMBIA

The best of Duke Ellington (1932-1939) SONY/BMG

I wonder if the pictured version differs, Jazzbo?

That text is superimposed by the Jazz Blues Club site and has nothing to do with the CD set it self.

2 short notes

I got an email from Mosaic announcing that they expect shipping the set Friday the 10th.

Sjef Hoefsmit editor of the DEMS bulletin published an report on the new set based on a early copy of the set.

You kan find DEMS bulltin here http://www.depanorama.net/dems/

klik on 1. news under the header Latest Issue and scroll down to Great News.

After that read the whole bulletin. It's always very interesting.

Edited by Stompy Jones

2 short notes

I got an email from Mosaic announcing that they expect shipping the set Friday the 10th.

Sjef Hoefsmit editor of the DEMS bulletin published an report on the new set based on a early copy of the set.

You kan find DEMS bulltin here http://www.depanorama.net/dems/

klik on 1. news under the header Latest Issue and scroll down to Great News.

After that read the whole bulletin. It's always very interesting.

There is another difference from the earlier box. This time the alternates are not put directly behind the master takes, but assembled at the end of each CD. A very clever decision, which makes listening to the complete CDs more varied and indeed more pleasurable.

Finally.

I don't know if there is a connection but I ordered the first day the set was up for pre order and I just got a shipping confirmation for my set.

No mention of the set #. I'm not going to ask. They have other things on there mind right now. :w

Edited by Stompy Jones