Charlie Mariano R.I.P.

P.L.M

I receive that few minutes ago:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear friends and colleagues,

today I have the sad task of informing you that Charlie Mariano is no longer among us, he "checked out" this morning.

Email is not how I would have wanted to pass on this message to you, but due to his great number of friends, I am not able to call each of you personally.

We will miss his voice, we will miss his humor, and all of you who over the years had the good luck of playing together with him will feel the loss.

He had spent the last weeks in the Mildred Scheel Hospiz where he was given the best possible care. His wife Dorothee had been caring for him lovingly for months. His daughter from the US had come to be with him. Many of you had visisted him during the last months. He was not alone.

Tonite I will sit down to listen to his music. Two new CDs recorded within the last year are to be released, one with Chaouki Smahi and Billy Cobham, one with Jasper and Philip Catherine. At 85 he was still blowing beautifully, touching the hearts of his audience.

An era of great jazz players seems to be nearing it´s end. Please carry on the spirit of great music to which Charlie dedicated his life. Remember him as someone who played with everyone and everywhere, never could say no to anyone wanting him to join-up for a gig. Remember him as a musician who was held in great esteem but other musicians as well as by the listeners for besides his great music he was a sweet, and may I mention it; good-looking man. He was a friend and his loss will be felt dearly.

Sincere Greetings,

sharon

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RIP, Charlie.

I just put on a 1991 date with Mal Waldron this morning, beautiful and on a level with the Mal Waldron - Marion Brown duets. Wonder if the daughter from the US was Monday Michiru?

Thanks for the music.

no, it wasn't Randy, but Monday was in touch with his wife and her sisters.

I just put on a 1991 date with Mal Waldron this morning, beautiful and on a level with the Mal Waldron - Marion Brown duets. Wonder if the daughter from the US was Monday Michiru?

Thanks for the music.

Charlie Mariano was accompanied by his wife Dorothée and his daughters Cynthia and Zana.

How sad. Rest in Peace, Charlie.

The entire four hours of my radio program, "Jazz from Studio Four" will be devoted to Charlie Mariano.

This Friday night, June 19th, 8p-midnight. Included will be some music that WGBH recorded in 2000 at The Regattabar in Cambridge, MA. This was a reunion between Charlie and trumpeter Herb Pomeroy and pianist Ray Santisi.

The music has never been commercially released and is only available on 89.7FM.