Bobby Broom - Plays for Monk

GA Russell

Bobby Broom has a new album out called Plays for Monk. It is made up entirely of Monk tunes, except two (Smoke Gets in Your Eyes and Lulu's Back in Town) which he associates with Monk.

I have Broom's last three cd's, and I like this one the best.

I read an interview of Sonny Rollins in which he said that he told the young Jackie McLean that he sounded too much like Charlie Parker, and that everyone's goal should be to develop his own sound. Of course Broom is Sonny's guitarist, and I think it is fair to say that he has developed his own sound - both in his heavy-handed strum and the chords he likes to play.

I wish more people would record albums of Monk songs. I enjoy very much Chick Corea's. I have heard cuts from Steve Lacy's Riverside album which I have liked. Not only are the songs good, but Monk had such a unique style of piano playing that anyone else who comes along can make an album with those songs and do his own thing, not worrying about deliberately trying to sound different from the original.

In this case, you don't have to already be a Bobby Broom fan to enjoy the album. It's refreshing to hear the familiar songs played in a new way.

By the way, the album photos are by our own Mark Sheldon!

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will get me this one immediately - thanks for pointing this out!

I saw Broom live with Rollins a few months ago and liked him very much - he took some inspiration from Rollins' way of rhythmic improvisation and fused it with his own - very interesting. I have always liked Broom, his approach to pop tunes in particular.

I think too few guitarists play Monk tunes - they are associated with piano, but this is not the core of his music, which is melody and rhythm, IMHO - whenever guitarists play Monk, the results are either great, when the individualists do it, like Steve Khan, or bland, when they mistake Monk's music for tunes with changes to blow on, which they are definitely not.

Here's http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=na8102tMwpg.

I'm not Lon, but I'd recommend the Paul Motian tribute "Monk in Motian" with Lovano, Frisell, Geri Allen, and Dewey Redman.

f51048cuku1.jpg

"Play Monk and Powell" is about half Monk:

e38368ob6df.jpg

Motian's got a number of Monk tunes scattered throughout his discography in addition to these two.

Edited by Aggie87

Speaking of jazz guitarists really, greatly able to play in a Monkish way, I'd reccomend a listen to Eric T.Johnson.

His strong "Plays Herbie Nichols Vol.I" cd is sold on Amazon for a few $$. His previous "Boston Quartets" cd is nearly as great (the pianoless tracks!). He's a great underrated jazz player and has a steady rhythm section plus trumpet capable of subtle dynamics and interplay.

P.S. - Please Mr. Johnson, if you read me, when will we have an "Herbie Nichols Vol.II"?

Edited by ArmandoPeraza

• 3 weeks later...

The Bobby Broom album is great. Fortunately I've had a chance to see his trio a number of times at their Wednesday night steady at Pete Miller's in Evanston (which was just axed a few weeks ago, after over 10 years). My favorite tune by far is "Work." Bobby just kills it.

Well I have this but didn't like it very much.

The bass player should raise his bridge because every other note slaps and boings on the fretboard. and I don't think the drummer has a very good concept concerning Monks music. Bobby Broom is OK, not great.

Sorry!

Having said that the Motion recording is very, very good and Fred Hersch's "Fred Hersch plays Thelonious Monk", is great!

"Fred Hersch plays Thelonious Monk"

Nonesuch CD 79456-2

'Round Midnight - 3'44; In Walked Bud - 4'48; Crepuscule with Nellie/Reflections - 4'51; Think Of One - 3'11; Ask Me Now - 5'30; Evidence - 3'31; Five views of Misterioso - 7'01; Let's Cool One - 4'50; Bemsha Swing - 3'16; Light Blue/Pannonica - 6'07; I Mean You - 4'17; 'Round Midnight reprise - 1'40; (1997 Stamford CT)

Fred Hersch - piano.

Then there is always:

Bud Powell - "A Portrait of Thelonious"

Columbia CK 65187

Off Minor - 5'20; Ruby My Dear - 5'46; Thelonious - 3'46; Monk's Mood - 7'06; (plus 4 other songs) (December 17, 1961 - Paris)

Bud Powell - piano, Pierre Michelot - bass, Kenny Clarke - drums.

and:

Tommy Flanagan - "Thelonica" - Enja CD 4052-14

North of the Sunset - 4'22; Light Blue - 5'28; Off Minor - 5'28; Pannonica - 6'59; Ask Me Now - 4'10; Thelonious - 4'10; Reflections - 7'30; Ugly Beauty - 5'03; Thelonica - 5'11 (by Tommy Flanagan; (1982 - N.Y.)

Tommy Flanagan - piano, George Mraz - bass; Art Taylor - drums.

Edited by marcello

Now that I've listened to it a few times: I like Broom's playing a lot, as always, and like what he's doing with the tunes, but the drummer is NMCOT. I've seen Kobie Watkins and Broom with Rollins recently, Watkins is a comptetent player with a lot of chops, but not a bit Monkish. You should clearly refer to Monk's textures when doing his tunes. Watkins' solos sound to me like they wouldn't be any different on any other composer's tunes ... And he's too busy for my taste. I will keep this disc only for Broom. Broom has his very personal way approaching other people's tunes, and it works excellently with pop tunes (he's the only one that can make me listen to House of the Rising Sun), but with Monk's tunes I think it is a little less successful. Monk's tunes are very balanced in themselves, if you change a tiny bit, it can loose Monk's essence, for my ears.

Edited by mikeweil

You said it better than I, Mike.

The Fred Hersch recording is a very different take on Monk's music without being facile ( like I think the Broom recording is), and adding another, complimentary vision.

Either record Monk's music with respect ( either straight or with a personal perspective), or leave it alone.

The Bobby Broom album is great. Fortunately I've had a chance to see his trio a number of times at their Wednesday night steady at Pete Miller's in Evanston (which was just axed a few weeks ago, after over 10 years). My favorite tune by far is "Work." Bobby just kills it.

...the music is back at Pete Millers. If you were listening to these guys, you were probably the only one. This is one noisy place most nights with diners talking over the music all night....but at least they feature live jazz almost every night of the week which is great.

m~