"The Juneteenth Jazz Jamboree"

This week's Night Lights show, The Juneteenth Jazz Jamboree, is up for online listening. Music celebrating freedom and the holiday from Charles Mingus, John Coltrane, Duke Ellington, Carmen McRae, James Newton, Louis Jordan, and more...plus background on the holiday from emancipation-holiday historian William Wiggins.

The Juneteenth Jazz Jamboree

juneteenth-throw.jpg

Edited by ghost of miles

did you by any chance play Glady's Bentley's late 1950s recording, The Juneteenth Jamboree? it is a little bit obscure -

No, didn't come across that one! Is it the same song that Louis Jordan recorded in 1940? (Written by Sammy Price...that one's in the show)

I did play James Newton and Anthony Davis' instrumental "Juneteenth," which Lazaro hipped me to several years ago. (Nod of special thanks to you in the show's credits, LV.)

Edited by ghost of miles

• 11 months later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 7 years later...

We determine the Night Lights broadcast schedule a couple of months in advance, so I had no idea in late April that Juneteenth was going to be such a talked-about topic come mid-June; I slotted this 2009 program in as a rerun partly because Juneteenth falls this year on the same day of the week that my home station WFIU airs Night Lights. In any event, here’s the program, as described in the posts above:

The Juneteenth Jazz Jamboree

Edited by ghost of miles

• 11 months later...