SGUD Missile is launching a third stage soon !!!

SGUD missile

Hi All:

Yeh .. I know, I've been gone for quite a spell ..but I've been working almost non -stop for about 16 months getting all my ducks ( and finances ) in a row to record a new big band CD.

Well ..three weeks ago I managed to FINALLY corral the Northwest Prevailing Winds and wrangle the crew into Bear Creek Studios in Woodinville WA for a three day marathon session schedule.

The crew is pretty much the same as CD#1 ( Convergence Zone ) , Pete Christlieb is back and this time we had the pleasure of having Jerry Dodgion ( formerly of the Thad Jones /Mel Lewis band among many others ) as our guest lead alto guy! It's still a bit rough, but this time the ol' Windpassers played with an energy level that scared me! As usual, Gary Hobbs took no prisoners and the band literally SMOKED the room !!

:crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

I'm still in the stage of doing some overdubs and hopefully I'll be editing and mixing towards the end of July. The name is still a work in progress, but I'm leaning towards "Rainshadow" ( keeping up the NW weather theme set by CD#1 )

If you're interested, here's a link to some great session shots by Dan Sheehan - a wonderful jazz photojournalist . FYI, I'm the wiped out looking guy with the shaggy white beard -it was a grueling session for everyone , but worth every minute we spent!

http://www.danielsheehan.com/kelly-bb/

As things are now scheduled, Origin will release the new CD in either October or November.

I'm REALLY anxious for y'all to hear this puppy !!

...and this time we had the pleasure of having Jerry Dodgion ( formerly of the Thad Jones /Mel Lewis band among many others ) as our guest lead alto guy!

that's all great news phil. awesome! and you having Dodgion as lead alto... hello!!! doesn't get any better than that. can't wait to hear it.

and that room looked like a cool space to record in. and the way you've got the band set up is a great way to go for blend.

...and this time we had the pleasure of having Jerry Dodgion ( formerly of the Thad Jones /Mel Lewis band among many others ) as our guest lead alto guy!

that's all great news phil. awesome! and you having Dodgion as lead alto... hello!!! doesn't get any better than that. can't wait to hear it.

and that room looked like a cool space to record in. and the way you've got the band set up is a great way to go for blend.

Well ..the band reviews are mixed on that setup : It's essentially the same setup I've used on all three CDs except on the LA ( MY Museum ) version and this one, the recording spaces were bigger than the initial session @ Triad in Redmond WA ( where everyone was really crowded.

In short, The brass liked it, the drums and bass liked it, and.. the reeds didn't, Even with separate cue feeds FOR ALL THE SECTIONS ,the saxes still bitched they couldnt hear well.

Once again proving the adage: no good deed goes unpunished! :crazy: :crazy: