Will Friedwald's record collection

Print story and clip here. Spot the Tina Brooks Mosaic!

A massive jazz music collection built by a local music writer and his late father will soon head to a new music museum. NY1's Arts reporter Stephanie Simon filed the following report.

Jazz writer and critic Will Friedwald is a pack rat dedicated to the Rat Pack and much more 20th-century American recording artists. He has been chronicling jazz and cabaret for years and collecting the music even longer.

Now, he's donating his collection of about 14,000 albums to two public archives.

"This is a collection that my dad starting putting together around 50, 60 years ago when he was a kid and I just kept going with it," says Friedwald. "So it's just grown exponentially to the point where its just too big for one person to have. As far as I know, it is the largest collection of jazz and popular standards albums in New York City."

Friedwald's collection fills his East Harlem apartment from floor to ceiling, with the all aspects of the Great American Songbook and jazz.

The jazz albums are going to an archive in Washington, D.C., but Friedwald already has a curator's knowledge of his collection.

"As my dad used to say, it's a 'heavy record,' A record that's both good and hard to find, he called a 'heavy record.' And this is about the heaviest record of them all - 'The Prestidigitator,'" says Friedwald.

The popular music and show tunes are going to the Michael Feinstein Foundation for the Preservation of the Great American Songbook, founded by the city composer of the same name.

"I decided to create a foundation to create a place for young people to learn about this music," says Feinstein. "We're creating educational programs, and concerts, and there will be a museum and an archive. And all of this is simply to preserve what I think is the greatest music that America ever produced."

Feinstein's music museum, which opens in Carmel, Ind. next year, will be part of a brand new performing arts space.

After spending countless hours and dollars growing his collection, Friedwald is glad it will be appreciated in its new homes.

"This one I looked for years is going to the the Feinstein archive, it's the rarest Mel Tormé verb, it's a set of duets he made with Margaret Whiting," says Freidwald.

The eclectic music collection also includes novelty albums like "Shorty Rogers meets Tarzan," which shows the famed 1950s composer and trumpet player in the arms of Tarzan of the Apes.

By donating his music gems, Friedwald will also tame the musical jungle that's been growing in this apartment for years.

For more information on the Michael Feinstein Foundation for the Preservation of the Great American Songbook, visit michaelfeinsteinfoundation.org.

Perhaps. There are these two sessions on Verve with Torme and Whiting, but I'm not sure that they would be described as "duo" recordings:

>>>

Mel Torme And Margaret Whiting With Russ Garcia Orchestra

Mel Torme, Margaret Whiting (vo) Russ Garcia Orchestra

Los Angeles, CA, November 9, 1960

23361-7 All You Need Is A Quarter Verve MGV 2146

23362-6 Waldcat-Tall Hopes -

23363-10 Hey Look Me Over Verve V 10230, MGV 2146

23364-4 Do-Re-Me / Fireworks Verve MGV 2146

* Mel Torme/Margaret Whiting - Broadway Right Now! (Verve MGV 2146)

* Margaret Whiting/Mel Torme - Hey Look Me Over c/w What's New At The Zoo (Verve V 10230)

Mel Torme And Margaret Whiting With Russ Garcia Orchestra

Mel Torme, Margaret Whiting (vo) Russ Garcia Orchestra: same personnel

Los Angeles, CA, November 10, 1960

23365-8 If I Ever Would Leave You Verve MGV 2146

23366 (Camelot) I Loved You Once In Silence -

23367 (Irma La Douce) Our Language Of Love -

23368 Far Away From Home (Angelina) -

23369 Cry Like The Wind -

23370 Make Someone Happy -

23371 From A Prison Cell -

23372 What's New At The Zoo Verve V 10230, MGV 2146

* Mel Torme/Margaret Whiting - Broadway Right Now! (Verve MGV 2146)

* Margaret Whiting/Mel Torme - Hey Look Me Over

"This one I looked for years is going to the the Feinstein archive, it's the rarest Mel Tormé verb, it's a set of duets he made with Margaret Whiting," says Freidwald.

Do you think that should be "Mel Torme Verve"?

I think that 14,000 is very respectable!

Bobby Jackson, who is the Program Director at WCPN in Cleveland, told me he had 22,000 cds!

I would imagine that most of them are promos, though.]

Don't understand...why would the possibility of them being promos have anything to do with the number? 'Cause maybe he didn't pay for a record it doesn't count? (Half of my 4K-ish are promos....still take up the shelf space and sound as good. (Remember too: promos are always first pressings! Like super-virgin olive oil. :rolleyes: )

Isn't that obvious, Ted?

Being located at the source and able to amass huuuuge quantities of disks for (next to) nothing is one thing and is of course nice (and those who can do so are welcome to their collections, and I certainly would not want to slight their interest in the music), but building a collection by purchasing the items (new or secondhand, full price, collector's price or special offer/clearout bin) one by one is quite a different feat, and I think that's what Marcello was getting at.

Do you think that should be "Mel Torme Verve"?

Yes. If you get a chance to look at the film insert, that's what Friedwald is saying. He even holds up the album. Most of the print story is transcribed from the film. It's worth watching for the chance to drool over the sight of a load of old records gathered in one place.

Does anyone know if Will Friedwald's father was also a critic or in the music business?

Isn't that obvious, Ted?

Being located at the source and able to amass huuuuge quantities of disks for (next to) nothing is one thing and is of course nice (and those who can do so are welcome to their collections, and I certainly would not want to slight their interest in the music), but building a collection by purchasing the items (new or secondhand, full price, collector's price or special offer/clearout bin) one by one is quite a different feat, and I think that's what Marcello was getting at.

Sorta.

Closer to the point is Bobby, who I like a lot, has people sending them to him instead of going out to search and buy.

I bet if he had to buy them he would be way more selective, thus a smaller collection.

But hats off to Bobby because most people would sell them.

Edited by marcello

Regardless of how one acquired such a collection, 14,000 LPs in a Manhattan apartment is impressive. Unlike CDs, most of which can take up less space after the substitution of the vinyl replacement sleeves, there is no downsizing the space required for LPs unless you get rid of some.

Relatively few of my LPs are promos (I didn't start reviewing until 1988), but I have picked up a few promos in stores over the years, many of which were titles that never seemed to make it to retail shelves where I lived. At this point I have no idea what percentage of my CD collection consists of promos, but I easily have 14,000 at this point. Who has time to count?

BTW, I have a copy of the Torme/Whiting Verve LP.

Edited by Ken Dryden

It's not often that I feel like a piker. Most people think that my 3,000+ CDs and several hundred LPs is a "big" collection. I am shamed by those who have over 10,000!

Ain't it the truth?! I thought my 4000 cds and 1000 or so lps was huge. Guess I have to get to work! :excited:

greg mo

I'll second the notion of getting discs/LPs for free and shelving them as being much different that seeking items out for purchase with limited funds.

I did some of the former when I worked at radio stations. It is less fun. And, it seems like those records were paid less attention. They were often not the records I really wanted, anyway.

Collecting evolves, I think. Diving into the bargain bins for some half-satisfactory titles can be a real drag and time drain. No time for that with a child around, now. :)

This gentlemen is donating 14,000 recordings to public archives, and the comments here dis him for getting promo copies and for having "only" 14,000 LPs. What's next? Someone want to jump in and claim that some of the albums have scratches?

Will's father was Herb Friedwald, a wonderful guy who worked for Atlantic, and maybe some other labels, and I would bet a lot of this stuff comes from him. Herb (who was also very helpful to me) did a lot of Atlantic's New Orleans recordings in the 50's and 60's, if I recall correctly.

Edited by AllenLowe

This gentlemen is donating 14,000 recordings to public archives, and the comments here dis him for getting promo copies and for having "only" 14,000 LPs. What's next? Someone want to jump in and claim that some of the albums have scratches?

I don't think anyone in this thread is criticizing the donation, unless we're reading different posts.

I don't think anyone in this thread is criticizing the donation, unless we're reading different posts.

Sorry. I must have missed the posts applauding this donation.

Must have been the same ones that welcomed your arrogant & obnoxious appearance on the forum.