Mamma don't you take my Kodachrome away.

I guess the age of 35mm film is coming to an end.

Sorry, Paul Simon, Kodak's taking Kodachrome away

By CAROLYN THOMPSON, Associated Press Writer Carolyn Thompson, Associated Press Writer – Mon Jun 22, 3:15 pm ET

ROCHESTER, N.Y. – Sorry, Paul Simon, Kodak is taking your Kodachrome away.

The Eastman Kodak Co. announced Monday it's retiring its oldest film stock because of declining customer demand in an increasingly digital age.

The world's first commercially successful color film, immortalized in song by Simon, spent 74 years in Kodak's portfolio. It enjoyed its heyday in the 1950s and '60s but in recent years has nudged closer to obscurity: Sales of Kodachrome are now just a fraction of 1 percent of the company's total sales of still-picture films, and only one commercial lab in the world still processes it.

Full article

capt.8c8a7760c3b9479c8154d47d65ebfbe0.kodachromes_demise_nydd102.jpg

Edited by Hardbopjazz

The Eastman Kodak Co. announced Monday it's retiring its oldest film stock because of declining customer demand in an increasingly digital age.

That process took place in Germany a few years ago ... there are others still, but the special look of Kodak colors is irreplaceable.

I always hated that Paul Simon song.

Funny. I love it! "There Goes Rhymin' Simon" was a favorite growing up and the first album I got when I decided to explore Simon's solo albums a few years back...

I know a couple of professional photographers and they switched to digital years ago. I can imagine that they were quite happy to say goodbye to fooling with chemicals and dark rooms!

Funny. I love it! "There Goes Rhymin' Simon" was a favorite growing up and the first album I got when I decided to explore Simon's solo albums a few years back...

I know a couple of professional photographers and they switched to digital years ago. I can imagine that they were quite happy to say goodbye to fooling with chemicals and dark rooms!

Not me I am not glad , Digital has taken the Mystery out of photography.

Every client I have now thinks they can shoot .....screw em.....next time I go to the Dentist i am bringing my own Novocaine!

Every client I have now thinks they can shoot .....screw em.....next time I go to the Dentist i am bringing my own Novocaine!

Results speak louder than words, though. Yes, every asshole with a camera thinks he can shoot. But he can't. Not really. Put his amateur effort next to your professional effort and the difference will be clear. I don't think professional photographers will be supplanted...

Results speak louder than words, though. Yes, every asshole with a camera thinks he can shoot. But he can't. Not really. Put his amateur effort next to your professional effort and the difference will be clear. I don't think professional photographers will be supplanted...

I agree .....BUT , (economy aside) I just bid on a job with a medical device company where they were threatening the designer with doing the photography themselves!

This would not be the first time they did some photography in the back of their wherehouse a year ago. She reminded them how the shots came out which was not so great and they finally agreed to our price and hopefully we will do the job. The point being is that these clients can now reasonably buy a digital camera which will give them a 30 meg file and then have some one download and fix it in photoshop.

It's totally different from the days of E-6 and 4x5 cameras clients were totally at our mercy , I mean they had no clue how it all worked.

Edited by zen archer

I never understood why anyone would pay a professional photographer a cent. Until the pictures came back...

Photography would be a great business if I didn't have to take pictures.....

I never understood why anyone would pay a professional photographer a cent. Until the pictures came back...

Photography would be a great business if I didn't have to take pictures.....

Try drawing them next time.

Apparently there are two schools of thought on the "meaning" of this song. One says that Simon made a bet that he could write a song about a camera. The other says that

Playboy used Kodachrome film for their centerfolds.

His mother found his stash of Playboys and he is pleading that she not throw them out, because "all the girls in high school" would "never match his sweet imagination" staring at the centerfolds.

:wacko:

Personally I think I liked the song because grade school was a drag, and the lyrics

When I think back

On all the crap I learned in high school

It's a wonder

I can think at all

And though my lack of education

Hasn't hurt me none

I can read the writing on the wall

had great appeal.