BYG- Actuel re-issues

ajf67

Just picked up a few of these LPs over the weekend and I was curious as to how they sound compared to originals. They all say "audiophile remastered," but does anyone know what that means in this case? I've seen them in record stores too and always wondered how they compared, if they are digital remasters, etc.

Well, first of all, BYG records weren't particularly well pressed in the first place. There are a couple of titles I have on reissue (Jacques Coursil Way Ahread being one og them) simply because it sounds better. As for the mastering job, I've never A/Bed them or seen any documentation in re the transfer but blah blah blah blah....

The point is that even the originals sounded less than stellar.

You may want to try some Four Men With Beards vinyl re-issues.

Art Blakey/Thelonius Monk Self Titled (1957)

Art Ensemble Of Chicago Bap Tizum -live 1972

Art Ensemble Of Chicago Fanfare For The Warriors 180g

Eddie Gale Black Rhythm Happening

Eddie Harris Electrifiying Eddie Harris 180g

Herbie Hancock Blow Up (Soundtrack)

Les McCann Layers

Sonny Sharrock Black Woman

I have a couple and they are very nice.

Link

I understand where wolff is coming from but that's hardly a reason to miss out on hearing these great records altogether. I mean, there's some wonderful, wonderful stuff in there. Some of my favorites of all time (esp. the Arthur Jones and Jacques Coursil dates). Sure, they're not *audiophile* fidelity but the point of buying music (ultimately) is to hear the freakin' tunes, right. Unless you're the kind of guy who buys DVDs of awful Jerry Bruckheimer films just so you can show off your theatre system.......I think you'll be fine. It's not that big of a deal. Also, though there are considerably fewer dates available, there's always the CD route......

Edited by Brandon Burke

They all say "audiophile remastered," but does anyone know what that means in this case? 

That term means nothing to me. There is no agreed upon definition for it.

IMHO audiophile recordings start at the recording session and continue through to the playback system. When an early Stax/Volt recording becomes an 'audiophile' re-issue it's just a selling point.

There are only a few re-issue labels doing great work. Classic Records, Speakers Corner, Acoustic Sounds, and whatever Steve Hoffman is working on, are a few.

Thanks for all the thoughts on this folks.

I think Wolff is right on the idea that good sound starts with the recording process and then goes the whole way through mastering, pressing, etc. The items I've heard and bought from Accoustic Sounds and Classic Records I have really loved. I think they do a great job. I've become a (mostly) analog guy and was just hoping someone knew what the story was on these BYG's. I bought them cheap, and the two I have listened to (Art Ensemble of Chicago and Dewey Redmon) sound a little flat and like they have been put through a high-frequency noise reducing filter, so I'm suspecting digital. The music, particularly on the AEC one I liked a lot though, which is really the first priority anyway, right?

I recently won a deep groove copy of Miles Davis Volume 1 and compared that to the CD I have and man what a difference. Geez! The LP blew it away. Even on my little system. Full disclosure, it isn't a perfectly up-to-date comparison because I wasn't using the recent RVG edition of the CD, but I'd love to try that too. I've had my turntable for several years, but I still really enjoy these types of comparisons. And to think CDs were marketed as "perfect sound forever" when they came out.

Thanks again for all your toughts, and thanks to our host for starting this section of the board.

• 16 years later...

Hi guys

as many of you, I'm in love with this label so I've in plan to buy a lot of Actuel records on vinyl, then I need to understand what's the best edition (sound quality, cover/sleeve quality, ...) in relation to prices. I obviously can not afford original issues :)

So I need to clarify the actual situation of the reissues (and correct me if I'm wrong):

1. Original BYG editions (early 70s)
  2. Affinity reissues (late 70s)
  3. Get Back (early 2000s, Italy)
  4. "mysterious" gatefold reissues by the original BYG(?!) from US and France with unknown release year.

Have you information on these last ones reissues? I discovered these ones on Discogs, like this one but these reissues exist for all the series LPs, and all the reissues are surprisingly in gatefold (replicating the original ones, I suppose)! You know where they came from, are really a BYG reissues? Why year is not reported? Sound quality is same/better/worst compared to others editions like Get Back? I really cannot find informations about these reissues, so I hope you could help me to clarify.

Finally, excluding the original ones (too expensive) and the Affinity ones (I don't like their cover design), as today what vinyl reissue you suggest?

Waiting for your precious advices! Thanks

Edited by maldororrr