Saxophone-bass-drums

Late

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is one of my favorite combinations as well. Knowing your taste, and having a sense of what you already own, one of my favorites that most people don't seem to have in their collection is

THE FRINGE .:. Its Time for the Fringe | Soul Note | April 1992

B000004027.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

George Garzone (reeds), John Lockwood (bass), Bob Gullotti (drums).

This was recorded live during the Rodney King riots. All three of these musicians have a great command over their instruments and play extremely well together. I have the good fortune of being able to go watch Gullotti work the drum kit every Tuesday night here in Providence, RI. I don't see his name too often, but he's the most impressive drummer I have seen in person yet.

All Music lists this as "fusion." I have no idea where they came up with that label, so don't let it fool you. This is NOT "fusion."

Another of my favorites that can stand to be recommended one more time is

WILLIAM PARKER TRIO .:. Painter's Spring | Thirsty Ear | June 2000

B00004TM1M.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Daniel Carter (reeds), William Parker (bass), Hamid Drake (drums).

Some of my most cherished recordings are often in the format of that most challenging trio: saxophone, bass, drums.

Going about twenty years back, and up to the present, what are some recommendations you'd make with this trio in mind?

One obvious choice is Joe Henderson's State of the Tenor (BN) with Ron Carter and Al Foster. Another one I have is Odean Pope's EBIOTO (Knitting Factory).

Guy

State of the Tenor is the one that came to my mind first, too!

Other albums in the format I like are Benny Wallace's early ones (Live at the Public Theatre and his debut album, both on Enja). And the later Big Jim's Tango (with Dave Holland and Elvin) being one of my favorite Wallace albums. His Plays Monk has Jimmy Knepper on about half the tracks, the rest also being a trio affair.

Then Enja released another very good trio album, Bobby Jones' Hill Country Suite (with Jiri Mraz and the great Freddie Waits).

Teddy Edwards made a beautiful album with Christian McBride and Billy Higgins, called Tango in Harlem.

Another vote for Garbarek/Vitous/Erskine's Star!

A classic: Lee Konitz, Motian (with Dallas, E. Jones)

Sam Rivers made several recordings with just bass & drums. There was that Impulse CD reissue some years ago, "Trio Live", and another I have (on LP) is Paragon (with Holland & Altschul).

I mentioned this one in the New Releases forum some days ago: Damaged in Transit, a unit led by Steve Swallow, with Adam Nussbaum and Chris Potter. I have not yet bought (but listened to already to) their new live album (XWATT/ECM), but I saw them live just a few days apart from when the album was made, and they were BAAD!

ubu

OK, this is damn near being on-topic, as it is a "double-sax plus bass plus drums" date. Gary Thomas - Pariah's Pariah (Winter & Winter, 1999), with Thomas on tenor (and flute on a couple tracks), plus Greg Osby, along with Michael Formanek (bass) and John Arnold (drums). One of the best dates of it's kind - highly rewarding listening. :tup:tup:tup

The Line Between by Bob Kaufman/Bruce Gertz/Jerry Bergonzi

Loose Cannon by Michael Formanek/Tim Berne/Jeff Hirshfield

Any of the Open, Loose trio stuff with Mark Helias/Tom Rainey/Tony Malaby

Night Bird Song by Thomas Chapin/Mario Pavone/Michael Sarin.

And I completely agree with Pariah's Pariah.

One that I'm listening to just now:

win.jpeg

WIN THIS TIME (Limited Sedition - LS018)

Vinny Golia (soprano & tenor saxophones, bass clarinet & flute); George Cremaschi (contrabass) ; and Garth Powell (percussion &, *ahem*, megaphone)

recorded by Garth Powell Jan 1998

9 tracks, 50 minutes, limited to 113 numbered copies. (Mine is numbered '68'.)

LIMITED SEDITION

What say we sell this baby out tonight! ARE YOU WITH ME?! para.gif

Plenty of good rec's here, catching most of the discs I'd care to name. (Except I don't think anyone mentioned Trio-X?) -- Let me mention one that recently came to my attention, Geof Bradfield's Rule of Three, which is IMHO is one of the best jazz releases of this year. Here's what I wrote on it (forthcoming shortly in Cadence):

Geof Bradfield

Rule of Three

Liberated Zone ROT4512

John Gilmore / Koan / Nichols’ Plated / Day Dream / Paul’s Pal / Contemplation / Reconciliation / Persephone / Berkshire Blues / Happy (58:41)

Bradfield, ts, ss; Noel Kupersmith, b; Ted Sirota, d. Hinsdale, IL, 8-9 July 2001.

Geof Bradfield keeps his music lean and his options wide open. The template is Rollins’ marvellous stripped-down trios of the late 1950s, but Bradfield doesn’t mimic Rollins’ combo of cliffhanger drama and expansive, sometimes cruel wit - he’s after a purer melodicism, silvery and limber and reaching up often into his (very clean) high register. Even at his most fiery Bradfield communicates as clearly and directly as if each line were set in type (sanserif, naturally). It’s the kind of album which suggests so many possible stylistic antecedents that to select just one or two is grossly misleading, but let’s land arbitrarily on Steve Lacy, whose lessons in distillation have evidently made a strong impression on Bradfield. Lacy is never namechecked, but he is very much the presiding spirit of the album’s first half: “Nichols’ Plated” is a doublebarrelled essay on Nichols and Monk, and the soprano feature “Koan” is a direct though unannounced homage to Lacy. (And is it coincidence that Lacy’s 1996 trio album Bye-Ya opens, like this disc, with a tribute to John Gilmore?) Bradfield doesn’t sidestep more ubiquitous and monolithic presences in the canon, either - besides Rollins, he tackles Trane on his own terms, too: the deep groove of “Contemplation” finds him scaling down Trane’s grave majesty to his own softer, more reticent way of speaking; “Happy” is a spirited revisitation of Trane’s Atlantic-period device of defamiliarizing standard chord progressions via movement in thirds (as the title indicates, the source here is “I Want to Be Happy”).

So much for sketchy musical genealogies. What’s more important is that Rule of Three makes no concession to the idea of tradition as a weight. These players - Bradfield, bassist Noel Kupersmith, drummer Ted Sirota on drums - don’t set out to “renovate” this material or this idiom, but simply get inside this music with a minimum of fuss. The results are fresher than many more elaborate and selfconscious revisitations of classic repertory and idioms. Bradfield’s compositions are spacious but sturdily built, and sit comfortably alongside Ellington’s “Day Dream” (a performance that’s wistful and grand by turns), Rollins’ “Paul’s Pal,” Andrew Hill’s “Reconciliation” (from the pianist’s Judgment), and Randy Weston’s charming “Berkshire Blues.” A quietly exhilirating album, and one of the more significant debut recordings of 2003.

Joe Lovano, "Trio Fascination", with Dave Holland and Elvin. Abash is a fine Swedish trio whose sax player sounds like a post-bop Don Byas, at least when he plays tenor. And going back to the 1960's, there's "Tarik", a Dewey Redman classic with Favors and Blackwell on BYG/Actuel, and of course Ornette-Izenzon-Moffett, "At The Golden Circle", magnificent sax trio music. Also recommended: Charles Gayle, "Touchin' On Trane", with William Parker and Rashied Ali.

And going back to the 1960's, there's . . . Ornette-Izenzon-Moffett, "At The Golden Circle", magnificent sax trio music. Also recommended: Charles Gayle, "Touchin' On Trane", with William Parker and Rashied Ali.

Yeah, that Gayle disc is GREAT!

The Ornettes are part of the daily bread, of course. Add the Town Hall disc, too!

ubu