Report: Michael Jackson has died

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

CNN's report says he was revived at his house--that differs from the TMZ report.

Will be odd if he's truly passed away. OFF THE WALL and THRILLER were ubiquitous when I was growing up... whether you liked the music or not (and I actually liked quite a lot of the music off those two albums), it was omnipresent in a way I don't think I've heard since.

EDIT: L.A. Times says he's in a coma.

Edited by ghost of miles

Will be odd if he's truly passed away. OFF THE WALL and THRILLER were ubiquitous when I was growing up... whether you liked the music or not (and I actually liked quite a lot of the music off those two albums), it was omnipresent in a way I don't think I've heard since.

Yes, Michael Jackson was a tremendous talent. Those two records (Off the Wall and Thriller) sounded extremely dynamic and innovative when they were first released. They have had such a huge impact on subsequent pop music that it is easy to forget just how original they sounded at the time.

RIP

Yes, Michael Jackson was a tremendous talent. Those two records (Off the Wall and Thriller) sounded extremely dynamic and innovative when they were first released. They have had such a huge impact on subsequent pop music that it is easy to forget just how original they sounded at the time.

I was there at the time, and I will agree with you about Off the Wall.

OK, here's my Michael Jackson story: I was working at an entertainment superstore in the early '90's that sold a lot of records. Every so often an artist would visit, and would be shown to the owner's office for a chat and a photo. I often took the pictures. One day Michael Jackson was there. I was about to take the picture when he called me aside and said, in that whispery voice of his, "When you take the picture, make sure that you get me from here" (the top of his head) "to here" (his belt buckle). Only after I left did I realize the meaning of his request: he didn't want me to take a closeup of his face.

His face was pretty creepy. It reminded me of one of those grinning skulls. And he had a band-aid across the bridge of his nose, perhaps the result of some recent whittling.

Ah, show biz will make you crazy. Rest in peace, Michael.

Oh, one more thing: I still remember my brother remarking to me, in 1969, "the only thing weirder than Michael Jackson singing 'I Want You Back' is Mary Hopkin singing 'Those Were The Days.'"