Which book did you buy today?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Funny you should ask, I made a rare Amazon order yesterday.

Terry Riley's in C (Studies in Musical Genesis and Structure) by Robert Carl

The Bill Evans Guitar Book: by Sid Jacobs

Joe Diorio / Giant Steps

Mel Bay Presents John Stowell Jazz Guitar Mastery

Eric Ambler, Journey into Fear and The Light of Day bought used on amazon.uk for 1p each.

Ambler! There's another mutual interest, Bill.

Bought recently: Jeremy Ludkin, THE LENOX SCHOOL OF JAZZ. And got (as an anniversary present) this one, which I'm hoping to read this weekend:

9781594742927.jpg

...didn't buy a book today but a big fan of the WPA project. Here are a few images I took of an actual WPA mural in California. These are close ups of a much larger mural.

m

...and

post-24-1246742938_thumb.jpg

post-24-1246743023_thumb.jpg

post-24-1246743072_thumb.jpg

post-24-1246743102_thumb.jpg

Edited by sheldonm

What's that all about....Alfie. Seriously though, what's in it.

from Amazon:

Product Description

In this book/CD pack, Musicians Institute instructor Sid Jacobs, who organized the school's Jazz Guitar elective, translates the playing of quintessential jazz pianist Bill Evans for guitarists to enjoy. Includes music, instruction and analysis of 14 Evans' pieces, all in their original keys and with full demonstration tracks on the accompaniment CD. Songs include: Funkallero * Laurie * Letter to Evan * My Bells * Orbit * Peace Piece * Peri's Scope * Remembering the Rain * A Simple Matter of Conviction * Time Remembered * Turn Out the Stars * The Two Lonely People * Very Early * Waltz for Debby."Sid's marvelous transcriptions of Bill Evans' tunes for solo guitar have just raised the guitar to a new level. This is contemporary guitar at its harmonic best."- Joe Diorio

a review on Amazon:

This book is fantastic. If I had to say anything negative, I would only say that the arrangements are a little bit short, but I don't necessarily blame Sid because even the quantity given here must have taken ages. Besides, the point of the book seems more to be a guide in interpreting the piano language of Bill Evans into guitar, not making concert length arrangements for one to perform. It is a reference for lush and intricate voicings and how to create piano voicings by combining open and fretted strings. And obviously it's more than just a voicing encyclopedia; he has transcribed Evans' recordings and where the guitar doesn't allow the amount of voices, he's been forced to choose the most important notes. Marvelous.
Edited by 7/4

What's that all about....Alfie. Seriously though, what's in it.

from Amazon:

Product Description

In this book/CD pack, Musicians Institute instructor Sid Jacobs, who organized the school's Jazz Guitar elective, translates the playing of quintessential jazz pianist Bill Evans for guitarists to enjoy. Includes music, instruction and analysis of 14 Evans' pieces, all in their original keys and with full demonstration tracks on the accompaniment CD. Songs include: Funkallero * Laurie * Letter to Evan * My Bells * Orbit * Peace Piece * Peri's Scope * Remembering the Rain * A Simple Matter of Conviction * Time Remembered * Turn Out the Stars * The Two Lonely People * Very Early * Waltz for Debby."Sid's marvelous transcriptions of Bill Evans' tunes for solo guitar have just raised the guitar to a new level. This is contemporary guitar at its harmonic best."- Joe Diorio

a review on Amazon:

This book is fantastic. If I had to say anything negative, I would only say that the arrangements are a little bit short, but I don't necessarily blame Sid because even the quantity given here must have taken ages. Besides, the point of the book seems more to be a guide in interpreting the piano language of Bill Evans into guitar, not making concert length arrangements for one to perform. It is a reference for lush and intricate voicings and how to create piano voicings by combining open and fretted strings. And obviously it's more than just a voicing encyclopedia; he has transcribed Evans' recordings and where the guitar doesn't allow the amount of voices, he's been forced to choose the most important notes. Marvelous.

Nice.

• 2 weeks later...

Robert Graves's "I, Claudius" (or "Clavdivs" as I used to think as a kid. Saying that, i often wondered who the hell "MUFC" was, and why he was always writing his name on walls).

then you would have enjoyed today's conversation over lunch at work more than i did... (the subject was "when did you first realize that "michael jackson" (as read and pronounced in german) and "michael jackson" (as pronounced correctly on tv and on the radio) were one and the same person?" surprisingly many people could contribute their experiences...)