Which book did you buy today?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A few weeks ago I found a copy of Rat Race Blues The Musical Life of Gigi Gryce by Noal Cohen and Michael Fitzgerald.

I read about the book here but unfortunately the thread was old and the book was oop at the publisher's. I dropped into Moe's Books on Telegraph in Berkeley after hitting Amoeba's (natch) with the slim hope that they might have a used copy.

I was pleasantly surprised to find a new copy and it was $2.00 below the list price on the cover. Score! It's very good and the details through interviews and other print is amazing. It seems to be a true labor of love by the authors.

John Broven's Record Makers and Breakers; Voices of the Independent Rock 'n' Roll Pioneers.

Up over and out.

Me too.

Based on a mention in a recent thread here. Am really looking forward to that one.

And then Amazon has received orders for more from me that should be on their way to me by now:

- The Music and Life of Theodore Fats Navarro: Infatuation (Leif Bo Petersen)

- Come In and Hear the Truth: Jazz and Race on 52nd Street (Patrick Burke)

- How Britain Got the Blues: The Transmission and Reception of American Blues Style in the United Kingdom (Roberty F. Schwartz) (again further to a link in a recent thread here)

- Blue Rhythm. Six Lives In Rhythm & Blues (Chif Deffaa)

- Unsung Heroes of Rock 'n' Roll: The Birth of Rock in the Wild Years Before Elvis (Nick Tosches) (long overdue but that's how it is sometimes ....)

- Group Harmony: The Black Urban Roots of Rhythm & Blues (Stuart L. Goosman)

Looks like a long reading winter ... ;)

In the meantime I'll try hard to extend my bookshelves in my music room. :D

Based on recommendations from this forum I bought Hampton Hawes autobiography from oldies.com. Just shipped with some other Fantasy sale cds. $4.95 in paperback.

That sounds like my next music book purchase. I've been buying/listening to his music a lot for the last three or four years partyly due to a book I read on West Coast Jazz.