chewy is learning a lot from steve hofmann fourms

honestly you guys, that board has opened a new-door-of-living for chewy: i never knew how important cds were, until i started reading over there. ALL THESE YEARS of focusing on lps screwed me up, THINK of all the good cds ive missed. Do you guys know I'm up to 11 Targets. or is it 12? targets are the holy grail of audio. Basically, take something, thats already totally cool, say, Phil Collins No Jacket Required. Now, immagine if there was a mastering so out of control good that it sounded like you were listening to headphones plugged into the master tape. that is what it is like. sometimes targets are not the best version. recently my target obesssion has led me to do dirty, dirty things. i admit here: i opened a cd case and looked into a LINDA RONDSTADT cd cause i thought it might be a target today. how the hell am i going to rationalize that beyond the target: waddy watchel was her guitar player. ok. jesus.

and its not all rock: i am desparately looking for the target of Grover Wasington Jr WINELIGHT, there is also a freddie hubbard one but thats going to be impossible to find. i have a george benson

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so, what have you learned? About the awesome-ness of the Monkees? The brilliance of latter-day Macca? How to turn every single thread into a discussion about the Beatles? There are some good things discussed at that forum but the amount of dreck is astounding.

Edited by GregK

the amount of dreck is astounding.

This is true, but ... I find the place useful, even though I've only posted there a couple of times.

I use it as a reference tool, much the same as allmusic.

Hard to feel at home in a joint where politics, sport, religion and food et al are either rare or verboten.

This is true, but ... I find the place useful, even though I've only posted there a couple of times.

Hard to feel at home in a joint where politics, sport, religion and food et al are either rare or verboten.

But if you want a discussion for 450 posts of every Fleetwood Mac album and single since their first recording, it's the place to go.

But if you want a discussion for 450 posts of every Fleetwood Mac album and single since their first recording, it's the place to go.

I hear you. But tell ya truth, I dig it that there's a place where that sort of extreme anorakism can bloom. And that's coming from someone who has only ever owned one Beatles record - the Hello Goodbye/I Am The Walrus single. And individual tastes and notions of artistic "merit" (whatever that means) aside, is it really any different from kicking over the forensic details of, say, Hank Mobley or Thelonious Monk? And just BTW, this very forum itself has a thread on that Grateful Dead that is about a gazillion pages long. :cool:

Edited by kenny weir

why tf does anybody collect sealed cds? http://www.keithhirsch.com/sealed-cds

What would be better to play as background music for sexy time with the 30 virgins by whom he'll be greeted in heaven?

:g had hoped my lou reed's transformer cd was a target cd but apparently it isn't, at least the guy lists it as a non-target cd... does that mean it's just a cd?

...And just BTW, this very forum itself has a thread on that Grateful Dead that is about a gazillion pages long. :cool:

That is one part of our rehabilitation program for pot heads, supervised by Dr. Nessa. Actually a successful one: at the end more then 80% of the treated people trade their copy of Aoxomoxoa with one disc of Roscoe Mitchell.

...And just BTW, this very forum itself has a thread on that Grateful Dead that is about a gazillion pages long. :cool:

That is one part of our rehabilitation program for pot heads, supervised by Dr. Nessa. Actually a successful one: at the end more then 80% of the treated people trade their copy of Aoxomoxoa with one disc of Roscoe Mitchell.

AND they remain pot heads ! :lol:

Q

Q

Of course, we treat only musical disease. :crazy:

Q

Of course, we treat only musical disease. :crazy:

:rofl:

Q

The main reason target CDs are collectible is because they are the first CD pressing. However, to my ears, a large majority of these targets sound vastly inferior to later CD pressings. In most cases, it's not even close.

Why are they so popular then? It's because many CDs remastered in the past 5-10 years sound even worse. Comparing these crappy-sounding target CDs to the currently available crappier-sounding CD usually favors the crappy-sounding target. The only thing that sounds worse than a target CD is a modern, compressed/limited-to-all-hell CD.

And people wonder why the CD is a dying medium? You can't buy the currently available CD if you want decent audio.

I dig it that there's a place where that sort of extreme anorakism can bloom. And that's coming from someone who has only ever owned one Beatles record - the Hello Goodbye/I Am The Walrus single. And individual tastes and notions of artistic "merit" (whatever that means) aside, is it really any different from kicking over the forensic details of, say, Hank Mobley or Thelonious Monk? And just BTW, this very forum itself has a thread on that Grateful Dead that is about a gazillion pages long. :cool:

It's heaven for OCD folks such as myself!

I hear you. But tell ya truth, I dig it that there's a place where that sort of extreme anorakism can bloom. And that's coming from someone who has only ever owned one Beatles record - the Hello Goodbye/I Am The Walrus single. And individual tastes and notions of artistic "merit" (whatever that means) aside, is it really any different from kicking over the forensic details of, say, Hank Mobley or Thelonious Monk? And just BTW, this very forum itself has a thread on that Grateful Dead that is about a gazillion pages long. :cool:

it's hank mobley's birthday!