chewy is learning a lot from steve hofmann fourms

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

honestly you guys, that board has opened a new-door-of-living for chewy: i never knew how important cds were, until i started reading over there. ALL THESE YEARS of focusing on lps screwed me up, THINK of all the good cds ive missed. Do you guys know I'm up to 11 Targets. or is it 12? targets are the holy grail of audio. Basically, take something, thats already totally cool, say, Phil Collins No Jacket Required. Now, immagine if there was a mastering so out of control good that it sounded like you were listening to headphones plugged into the master tape. that is what it is like. sometimes targets are not the best version. recently my target obesssion has led me to do dirty, dirty things. i admit here: i opened a cd case and looked into a LINDA RONDSTADT cd cause i thought it might be a target today. how the hell am i going to rationalize that beyond the target: waddy watchel was her guitar player. ok. jesus.

and its not all rock: i am desparately looking for the target of Grover Wasington Jr WINELIGHT, there is also a freddie hubbard one but thats going to be impossible to find. i have a george benson

Man!! This sounds like one of my rants. Careful where you tread brother....

...I dig it that there's a place where that sort of extreme anorakism can bloom.

anorakism...define please! (Anachronism?)

I actually hang on the SH forum a fair amount these days. The jokes you guys are making about it are right on. Who the fuck cares which cut was the weakest on the Monkees' second album? (I say that as a guy who admits to listening to that particular recording a lot as a 10 year old.) And fer chrissake, how many times do we need to listen to Dark Side of The Moon? And, yeah OK the Beatles were great and all that, but isn't the 24/7 discussion of potential remasters an indication that maybe you have too much time on your hands? Can you say "trust fund'? And $80 for a "Target" CD? No thanks I think I'll go buy 10 used jazz CDs from artists I have yet to hear instead. It does get to be pretty hilarious over there, and pretty often...

Having said that, as a person trying to sell off a large collection of jazz CDs, the SH forum is much better place to try and do it. I don't know where you folks buy your music, or perhaps you already have all you need but my offerings here just seem to sit for the most part. I'm not even bothering to list them here, mostly.

But for discussion and a knowledge base of all things jazz that is second to none on the web, I always return here. I hope this forum continues to thrive.

From Wikipedia:

In British slang an anorak (pronounced /ˈænəræk/) is a person, usually male, who has a very strong interest, perhaps obsessive, in niche subjects. This interest may be unacknowledged or not understood by the general public. The best known explanation of the term, is the use of anoraks (a type of rain jacket) by train spotters, a prototype group for this seemingly unfathomable interest in detailed trivia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anorak_(slang)

Typically found in railway stations and viewing the Mosaic site :lol:

As far as railway is concerned, this must be a typically british obsession.

My father worked for the Luxembourg railways, where he was responsible for equipment. Several times per year, he received visits from members of british railway fan clubs, who requested to see specific locomotives which were missing from their collection of pictures. They wanted to take pictures of each individual locomotive, although many of them were identical except for the serial number. If one locomotive was stationed in another part of the country, they would take a 2 hour trip just to get a picture. They weren't interesting in any sightseeing, even railway-related. The only thing that counted was to travel to complete their collection of pictures.

I was once an anorak too, in the late 80's, when I discovered jazz mainly through the ECM label, and I wanted to have a discography of all ECM albums. Instead of simply requesting a list from the label, I went thought the jazz section in record shops and wrote down the 1xxx numbers and titles of all ECM albums I could find. With the internet, such obsessions can now be pursued in a much more discrete way ...

Edited by Claude

My father worked for the Luxembourg railways, where he was responsible for equipment. Several times per year, he received visits from members of british railway fan clubs, who requested to see specific locomotives which were missing from their collection of pictures. They wanted to take pictures of each individual locomotive, although many of them were identical except for the serial number. If one locomotive was stationed in another part of the country, they would take a 2 hour trip just to get a picture. They weren't interesting in any sightseeing, even railway-related. The only thing that counted was to travel to complete their collection of pictures.

I was once an anorak too, in the late 80's, when I discovered jazz mainly through the ECM label, and I wanted to have a discography of all ECM albums. Instead of simply requesting a list from the label, I went thought the jazz section in record shops and wrote down the 1xxx numbers and titles of all ECM albums I could find. With the internet, such obsessions can now be pursued in a much more discrete way ...

A good mate of mine is one of 'em - and a music nut!

He and his fellow anoraks sometimes go out into the boonies, set up shop at a railway level crossing, fire up the barbie and wait for a particular train to chuff by. Then they go home.

And it's not just photos - they collect recordings, too.

Circular thinking, this reminds of a thread - long time ago so it was probably on BNBB - on which someone did a really bang up spoof job of putting up for auction on the board the inserts, bubble wrap and other packaging ephemera that comes with Mosaic sets - "touched and handled by Michael Cuscuna" etc etc.

At least I think it was a spoof. :cool:

I actually hang on the SH forum a fair amount these days. The jokes you guys are making about it are right on. Who the fuck cares which cut was the weakest on the Monkees' second album? (I say that as a guy who admits to listening to that particular recording a lot as a 10 year old.) And fer chrissake, how many times do we need to listen to Dark Side of The Moon? And, yeah OK the Beatles were great and all that, but isn't the 24/7 discussion of potential remasters an indication that maybe you have too much time on your hands? Can you say "trust fund'? And $80 for a "Target" CD? No thanks I think I'll go buy 10 used jazz CDs from artists I have yet to hear instead. It does get to be pretty hilarious over there, and pretty often...

Wait until the Beatles remasters are actually available... :crazy:

Having said that, as a person trying to sell off a large collection of jazz CDs, the SH forum is much better place to try and do it.

That might be because some of them, such as the "Blue Note Works" TOCJs you've been selling, are (or at least were until recently) a bit of hype on the Hoffman forum.

i know these guys as well (more accurately, i know these crowds of men standing at the train stations on weekends trying to take photos of (ordinary-looking) trains...)

Having said that, as a person trying to sell off a large collection of jazz CDs, the SH forum is much better place to try and do it.

That might be because some of them, such as the "Blue Note Works" TOCJs you've been selling, are (or at least were until recently) a bit of hype on the Hoffman forum.

In my case I usually prefer trades to purchases and sales. I'm not in this to make money, nor are there really all that many titles that are offered for sale that I'm looking for. I like to explore and discover music, and it's fun when you can find things you enjoy unexpectedly. This seems to happen for me more when money isn't involved, which creates a different set of expectations, and takes it away from "fun", towards "serious".

That said, I do buy on here occasionally, and I do like to make trades that are relatively equal in value.

From Wikipedia:

In British slang an anorak (pronounced /ˈænəræk/) is a person, usually male, who has a very strong interest, perhaps obsessive, in niche subjects. This interest may be unacknowledged or not understood by the general public. The best known explanation of the term, is the use of anoraks (a type of rain jacket) by train spotters, a prototype group for this seemingly unfathomable interest in detailed trivia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anorak_(slang)

Ah, I see, thanks. I recognized the word "anorak" having spent countless hours in one on my Alaska river rafting trips, but I was not hip to this new variant. My wife would say I fit the bill regarding my CD collecting...

they taught be about the power of compact disc and how mastering makes or breaks the record: this weekend i met this really pretty singer/songwriter chick whos doin her own cd: i was talkin to her about mastering, and she was all: well were gonna produce this and that and this and that produce produce, then after all our producing, were gonna send it off and get the cds done, some local dude or something, etc and i was all NO!N!OO!O! thats the most important step: FLAT TRANSFER of the master tapes, no compression. steve hoffman is right . why they stopped making real cds ill never know. -we have the technology, why not use it-