Guest Chaney

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Ahem

Notes From The Field: June 2004

A month blows by, almost all of it in Europe. The work started in Le Mans, France, at their jazz festival- two gigs, the first with the Vandermark 5, then a performance by a unique version of the Peter Brötzmann Chicago Tentet. Mats Gustafsson had a prior commitment to the Barry Guy New Orchestra, so Peter brought in Roland Ramanan to play trumpet as a sub. Because Mars Williams left the band in April, the group needed a last minute addition. With luck, we were able to bring Toshinori Kondo in for a return engagement. For the first time since it formed in 1997, the Tentet brass section was larger than the reeds! Despite limited rehearsal time which meant Roland and Toshinori had to nearly sight read the material, the band sounded excellent- particularly on the second gig, in Hasselt, Belgium: two sets to a packed and appreciative audience. The Tentet meets again in Chicago during November for a special concert utilizing the texts of Kenneth Patchen, performed by Mike Pearson- the first time the band will incorporate words with their material. During that week, the group (with Mats back in tow) will record the new additions to the book (“A Long Breath Long,” and “For Fred Hopkins” by Peter, and a piece of mine called, “Flames Like Water.”), plus the Patchen piece, entitled, “Be Music, Night.”

Directly after the Hasselt concert, Paal Nilssen-Love and I flew to London, England to meet Nate McBride for the start of our FME tour. We met with the BBC who are filming a documentary on the state of contemporary jazz, with Branford Marsalis as host. The trio played two compositions from the new album, “Underground” (Okka Disk), for the film: “Kiosk” and “Lasko.” In addition both Paal and I were interviewed for this presentation which will be broadcast in England during the fall. Branford was very supportive of the band’s work, talking with us in depth and taking the time to catch our concert at the Vortex that night (best of luck to them at their new location!).

FME continued to Barcelona for two concerts, another great opportunity to present the music for more than one night in the same city. As I’ve stated before, it’s my wish is to make multiple performances in one location the standard way of operating for the bands I work with. Having two chances to do so just this spring is a sign of the great potential for this method of performance. Throughout the tour, which also took us to Austria, Germany and Slovenia, the group played to fantastic audiences and worked on five new pieces (“Reset And Recall,” “Slip,” “Necessary?” “Sentence,” and “Boadas”) which we’ll record in conjunction with more new compositions during our tour in Scandinavia this fall. The only real disappointment on this trip was the fact that we didn’t have copies of “Underground” to sell while on the road, thanks to the assistance of Federal Express who delivered the new album late and then stranded it in Salzburg during the middle of the tour. On a brighter note, FME continued to develop its aesthetics on each concert, and there were many extraordinary moments during the series. For example, during our final concert in Cerkno, Slovenia the Gabriejel jazz festival was hit with a day of heavy rain while we played under a tent outdoors. It was cold enough on stage that Paal’s fingers were turning white. We decided to play without a PA and the audience responded with complete attention. During the composition, “Teatr,” Nate cued a pause in the course of an improvisation between the drums and baritone, and nothing was heard but a long arco bass chord and the rain coming down on the roof of the tent; for a moment everything stopped: quite beautiful and unexpected.

So now, on to June. Primarily, the month is focused on the double bill tour of the Vandermark 5 and Atomic in North America. These concerts begin in Chicago at the Green Mill on the weekend of June 11th and 12th. The V5 are releasing a new album on Atavistic, “Elements Of Style/Exercises In Surprise,” in conjunction with the tour. Its first pressing will be a limited edition with a bonus cd, “Free Kings,” featuring the music of Roland Kirk. Eleven of his compositions were rearranged for the band and recorded during concerts in Chicago at the Empty Bottle and the Green Mill. The Scandinavian group, Atomic, will also have copies of their nearly impossible to find releases from the label Jazzland during this trip, so bring your cash and leave the concerts with a fist full of music.

Due to increasing difficulties with the U.S. government and bringing musicians into the country, Atomic will unfortunately only be participating in the U.S. leg of the journey because crossing the American border more than once during the trip is too problematic a risk. So, after June 26th, the V5 continue alone up the East Coast and into Canada. Check the web site for tour updates, but here is the current schedule. Hope to see you there!

Also connected to this tour is a special project instigated and coordinated by the visual artist, Dan Grzeca. In the past, when Dan has created tour posters there have been issues getting the materials posted at the venues in each city. With the help of Kurt Kellison of Atavistic, Dan has coordinated nearly two dozen artists around North America to create posters and hang them in their locations throughout the length of the trip. All of these works are going to be collected and put in a box like a suitcase entitled, “Flammable Materials.” In addition, a live recording of performances by the V5 and Atomic from their Green Mill concerts will be included in the box. Each artist and musician will get a copy of this boxed set of posters and music for their involvement in the project, but there will also be a limited set of about 150 copies of the box for sale through Atavistic for avid collectors. Check out their web site at http://atavistic.com for more details.

In closing, I’d like to thank three writers for their informed and inspired interviews regarding the music with me during the last month: José Tapiz and Ferran Esteve from Spain, and Fred Jung from Los Angeles. The discussions with José and Ferran should be posted on the site in Spanish (José), Catalonian (Ferran) and English within the next couple of weeks. Fred’s interview was done for a feature article on the Vandermark 5 for the Los Angeles edition of “All About Jazz,” and it includes statements and ideas about the quintet from all the members of the group. The completed article should be published in June.

So, until next time, keep listening!

• 1 year later...

A new Vandermark 5 next week according to DMG

THE VANDERMARK 5 - The Color of Memory [2 CD set] (Atavistic 166) "International new music stalwarts The Vandermark 5 return with their first

studio double-album: and their last with trombonist Jeb Bishop. THE COLOR

OF MEMORY, recorded & mixed in Chicago by Bob Weston and feels like a postcard from the edge... a series of mysterious sonic signs and mileposts reflecting and recounting the band's incredible journeys over the past half-decade during the Vandermark/Kessler/Bishop/Rempis/Daisy era. Dedicated to The Volcano Suns, Ray Charles, Elvin Jones & Steve Lacy, Merce Cunningham, Art Pepper, Nina Rota and Magnus Broo."

2 CD set for $22

alp166_mini250.jpg

from Atavistic

International new music stalwarts, The Vandermark 5, return with their first studio double-album- and their last with trombonist Jeb Bishop.

THE COLOR OF MEMORY, recorded & mixed in Chicago by Bob Weston (SHELLAC, MISSION OF BURMA) feels like a postcard from the edge... a series of mysterious sonic signs and mileposts reflecting and recounting the band's incredible journey over the past half-decade during the Vandermark/Kessler/Bishop/Rempis/Daisy era.

The V5 hid the road in North America & Europe in support of THE COLOR OF MEMORY this Fall, too!

(Atavisic shipping price to England $9 :o )

A new Vandermark 5 next week according to DMG

THE VANDERMARK 5 - The Color of Memory [2 CD set] (Atavistic 166)  "International new music stalwarts The Vandermark 5 return with their first

studio double-album: and their last with trombonist Jeb Bishop.  THE COLOR

OF MEMORY, recorded & mixed in Chicago by Bob Weston and feels like a postcard from the edge... a series of mysterious sonic signs and mileposts reflecting and recounting the band's incredible journeys over the past half-decade during the Vandermark/Kessler/Bishop/Rempis/Daisy era. Dedicated to The Volcano Suns, Ray Charles, Elvin Jones & Steve Lacy, Merce Cunningham, Art Pepper, Nina Rota and Magnus Broo."

2 CD set for $22

alp166_mini250.jpg

from Atavistic

International new music stalwarts, The Vandermark 5, return with their first studio double-album- and their last with trombonist Jeb Bishop.

THE COLOR OF MEMORY, recorded & mixed in Chicago by Bob Weston (SHELLAC, MISSION OF BURMA) feels like a postcard from the edge... a series of mysterious sonic signs and mileposts reflecting and recounting the band's incredible journey over the past half-decade during the Vandermark/Kessler/Bishop/Rempis/Daisy era.

The V5 hid the road in North America & Europe in support of THE COLOR OF MEMORY this Fall, too!

(Atavisic shipping price to England  $9  :o )

I preordered this from the Atavistic website & have already received it from them.

It's very, very good. :tup

• 3 weeks later...

Those Spaceways Inc. albums didn't stick with me for some reason. I can't remember why. I kind of wish I had them so I could go back and listen again.

I'll recommend another V5 recording, ACOUSTIC MACHINE.

B00005NNEP.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Recorded in 2001, 2+ years after Simpatico, ACOUSTIC MACHINE is a another series of dedications to musicians (Shepp, Getz, Prez, Hemphill, Elvin Jones, and others), with short compositions dedicated to Morton Feldman interspersed.

I picked this disc up last week in Austin, and found an extra disc titled "Free Jazz Classics Vol 2" inside. :tup Wasn't expecting it, which made it all the better. Both discs are very good!!

• 2 weeks later...

Despite limited rehearsal time which meant Roland and Toshinori had to nearly sight read the material, the band sounded excellent- particularly on the second gig, in Hasselt, Belgium: two sets to a packed and appreciative audience.

I was there and, yes it sounded great.

• 11 months later...

i am enjoying this one:

B00023B1KS.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V1116124523_.jpg

Elements of Style/Exercises in Surprise

CD (Atavistic) 2004

Ken Vandermark, Dave Rempis, Jeb Bishop, Kent Kessler, Tim Daisy

first 1500 copies include the bonus live CD Free Kings: The Music of Roland Kirk

recorded July 9–10, 2003, Semaphore Recording, Chicago

bonus disc recorded February 2004, the Empty Bottle and the Green Mill, Chicago

main disc:

1 Outside Ticket Vandermark 9:23 for John Gilmore

2 Knock Yourself Out Vandermark 6:03 for Jean-Michel Basquiat

3 Intagliamento Vandermark 5:31 for Zu

4 Telefon Vandermark 7:23 for Glenn Gould

5 Gyllene Vandermark 8:32 for Lars Gullin

6 Strata Vandermark 8:26 for Max Beckmann

7 Six of One Vandermark 20:10 for Bogdan Benigar, Hans Falb, Mauro Pezzente, Martin Revheim, Mate Skugor, Wolfgang Wasserbauer...

and imagine my surprise :excited: when i checked out the bonus disk:

1 The Black and Crazy Blues Roland Kirk 8:18

2 The Free King’s Suite: Meeting on Termini’s Corner/Three for the Festival/A Handful of Fives Roland Kirk 10:27

3 The Inflated Tear Roland Kirk 6:55

4 Rip, Rig and Panic Suite: From Bechet, Byas and Fats/Rip, Rig and Panic/No Tonic Press Roland Kirk 13:42

5 Silverization/Volunteered Slavery Roland Kirk 11:12

and there is a seller here selling it for $4.50!!! grab it FAST!!!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00...4920921?ie=UTF8

• 2 months later...

bump...

I just picked up the Vandermark 5 "Free Jazz Classics Vol 3 & 4" last week in Austin. Good stuff! Vol 3 is a tribute to Sonny Rollins, and Vol 4 is Roland Kirk.

h27537k65ma.jpg

I need to pick up the Vol 1/2 set (have the Vol 2 already, but not the 1, and I"m guessing it's not at easy to find individually).

edit - the Vol 4 is the same disc as the bonus disc that Evan mentions above.

Edited by Aggie87

My apologies if this has already been posted, but there's an absolutely smoking Quintet gig posted at Dime:

http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details.php?id=110797

A little over 3gb download, and I'll be seeding for another week or so.

Ken Vandermark Quintet - Poznan, Poland, Nov 20, 2005 DVD (PAL)

Ken Vandermark, bs, cl

Dave Rempis, reeds

Kent Kessler, b

Fred Lonberg-Holm, cello

Jim Daisy, dr

sorry, no setlist, please help if you can identify the tunes

TT: 1:14:37

Source: Digital Satellite -> raw data to HDD, > ProjectX > MPEG2Schnitt > TMPGEnc DVD Author > Video_ts;

audio is 2 channel MP2@384 (!)

No conversion of any kind - this is the actual very hq broadcast signal!

I got in to him through his work with Brötzmann, which led to a ton of other great discoveries. Great thing is that there are so many quality tapers around, and the guy never sits still. I get new stuff almost weekly, and I dig it all. Dime seems to be the best place for shows, but if somebody else knows about more please share!

I also would recommend the Alchemia set. Even without the killer packaging it's great stuff. You know, if you're a philistine...

• 13 years later...

Hi,

I've got almost no Vandermark in my collection and I'm hoping to dip my foot in. It was an incredibly large and intimidating catalogue at the time this thread ended over a decade ago, and it hasn't got less intimidating since. 

Are there two or three Vandermark albums (whether under his, his various groups' or other leader's names) that people would particularly recommend as a starting point?

Thank you

Edited by Rabshakeh

10 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

Hi,

I've got almost no Vandermark in my collection and I'm hoping to dip my foot in. It was an incredibly large and intimidating catalogue at the time this thread ended over a decade ago, and it hasn't got less intimidating since. 

Are there two or three Vandermark albums (whether under his, his various groups' or other leader's names) that people would particularly recommend as a starting point?

Thank you

I recommend any of the large groups or DKV trio 

KV strength is large form composing & arranging as well as riff based playing on tenor & baritone. The Transatlantic Band and Resonance Band have numerous great releases. Look on Okkadisk for the former and Not Two for the latter.

11 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

Hi,

Thank you

At the risk of being too overtly negative, I agree with Nate Dorward's assessment from earlier in this thread and don't find a lot to recommend in his own music. The DKV album with Fred Anderson is truly excellent, and I like the AALY record on Silkheart.

1 hour ago, Guy Berger said:

Interesting to go back and read this thread.  Vandermark's career has taken such a turn-toward-low-key over the past 10-15 years, I wonder if he's due for a reappraisal.

I agree - his playing is much improved and his ideation on many of his projects is top notch. Marker is another great new ensemble. Plus his incorporation of electronics is often very successful which IMO is not often the case in jazz idioms which is still where KV resides in for the most part. 

1 hour ago, Rabshakeh said:

Thanks all for the recommendations. I am going to start with the Fred Anderson / DKV one (I'm a big fan of Fred Anderson, so that sounds like a risk free prospect).

This would not be near the top of my list. Not the best DKV recording by a long shot. There are far better places to hear both Vandermark and the late, great Fred Anderson. 

for DKV try Live in Wels & Chicago from 1998 and maybe Latitude from 2014.

for AALY, the silkheart (Hidden in the Stomach) is great (but very early (1996 I think) but Live at the Glenn Miller Cafe is even better. But the real star on these is Gustafsson, not KV.

Head Above Water Feet out of the Fire on Not Two is an incredible 2 CD set from the Resonance Ensemble

1 hour ago, Rabshakeh said:

Thanks all for the recommendations. I am going to start with the Fred Anderson / DKV one (I'm a big fan of Fred Anderson, so that sounds like a risk free prospect).

yeah, that's a good one. DKV rips. I ride for most of the V5 stuff as well as Bridge 61 and some of the duos with drummers. The large ensemble discs are, to me, very hit-or-miss. Not all ideas are sustainable across that many people and minutes, though hell, it's not like the efforts aren't well respected.

AALY is cool but yeah, I think Gustafsson is more comfortable in that situation (or was at the time). 

Free Fall and the duo with Nate Wooley have also deeply impressed me in live situations.