Ken Vandermark

Guest Chaney

10 minutes ago, clifford_thornton said:

yeah, that's a good one. DKV rips. I ride for most of the V5 stuff as well as Bridge 61 and some of the duos with drummers. The large ensemble discs are, to me, very hit-or-miss. Not all ideas are sustainable across that many people and minutes, though hell, it's not like the efforts aren't well respected.

AALY is cool but yeah, I think Gustafsson is more comfortable in that situation (or was at the time). 

Free Fall and the duo with Nate Wooley have also deeply impressed me in live situations.

Gotta dig through the large band stuff to find the nuggets. Yes - way too many but I’ve found the digging well worth it. More hits than misses, IMO

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Vandermark 5

Territory Band

Freefall

DKV

And a duets album with various players on Okka

would be my recommendations but I stopped listening a few years ago.

I must have 20+ CDs easily and a bust CD player so I can't revisit any of it off the back of this thread. I liked him a lot, enjoyed his appearances at Oto and the Vortex too.

He's guaranteed to divide opinions on this board I found out very early on. 

I admire his music making and his organisational energy and prowess. Maybe not the greatest soloist but he has many other positives as far as I can see. 

27 minutes ago, trane123 said:

My interest really peaked when I got the Vandermark 5 "Alchemia" live boxed set (12 CDs, if I remember right).  I'm sure it's way OOP now.  Lots of really good stuff on there that I still go back to.

Oof. I may start my V5 listening with that Elements of Style, Exercises in Surprise album you mentioned above. 12 CDs is a lifestyle choice. 

This is the release that most tempted me since I stopped buying his releases regularly

https://vandermark1.bandcamp.com/album/ken-vandermark-nine-ways-to-read-a-bridge

Ironically I think it was his growing tendency towards boxsets that dulled my interest.

These two are very good as well, I thought

https://vandermark1.bandcamp.com/album/50-off-bundle-the-midwest-school-an-international-report