Pat Martino "Think Tank"

clifton

I've been enjoying Pat Martino's latest Blue Note release, "Think Tank". Martino blazes his way through a solid program with Joe Lovano, Gonzalo Rubalcaba, Christian McBride, and Lewis Nash. The band sounds tight and well-rehearsed, typical of a classic Blue Note session that Alfred Lion would have produced. Solos range from very good to inspired, and it all swings. This one really grows on you.

I've had this for a few days and been able to give it a couple of spins. It's a solid enough date but I think I expected just a little more from it. Maybe I've just overloaded on Lovano! Rubalcaba is not a pianist I've particularly enjoyed in the past but he sounds more restrained here and fits in well.

EKE BBB: That's not me on "Think Tank". I did Marcus Strickland "Brotherhood", "Astral-Terra Trapeze Unit", Tim Armacost concert review, and a review of "Lest We Forget" that should post any day. (I'm new to the AAJ staff, or any other staff, for that matter). I don't agree with the AAJ "Think Tank" review, I think it's better than that.