New Blue Note SACDs

Cali

The eye is an output device as well as an input device and am working on some big projects around that concept, including a new book, technology and website, which you're welcome to visit. As for the CBS logo, it's not even close. The US Patent and Trademark Office finds my logo to be unique enough for trademark assignment...so you probably should too. :)

CBS logo

th_cbs_logo.jpg

EyeSpeech logo

post-13734-0-37307200-1298609130_thumb.j

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sorry, it remains me of CBS. No offense to you or the patent office, neither of whom I know well enough to believe "just because they say so".

But..the eye as an output device? You mean like this?

superman-x-ray-vision-lois-lane.jpg

Hey, CBS or not, I'm down with some of that!

website, which you're welcome to visit.

I might be, but apparently my IP address isn't...

</h2>

<h2 class="blockhead">vBulletin Message

Sorry. The administrator has banned your IP address. To contact the administrator click here

Sorry, I don't click on strange links on sites where my IP address is banned before I even visit there...

Yikes...I've had a lot of problem with spammers there--the usual drugs, p*rn and general obnoxious stuff. I tried to solve it by blocking IP addresses...but I guess I got too happy with blocking. Sorry 'bout that. I'll work on it and hope you try again another time!

No, not that kind of output device, heh heh. There was a special on PBS not long ago showing how dogs trained to assist cerebral palsy patients take cues from their owners' eyes. We all take cues from each other like that. The eye speaks volumes and instantly communicates all sorts of social cues.

Anyway, we're far afield of Blue Note SACDs, but I can talk about this for hours. It's my passion.

Pretty sure I fixed the issue that was causing your IP to be banned, if you want to try again.

Just ordered several of the BN SACDs as Dmitry tipped me off about the better pricing. Wish I had known about it earlier!

Artist / Title #Ordered #Shipped #Open

3 Sounds Bottoms Up! 1 1 0

Ike Quebec Soul Samba 1 1 0

John Patton Along Came John 1 1 0

Lou Donaldson Blues Walk 1 1 0

Horace Silver Tokyo Blues 1 1 0

Nat King Cole Very Thought Of You 1 1 0

Pretty sure I fixed the issue that was causing your IP to be banned, if you want to try again.

Just ordered several of the BN SACDs as Dmitry tipped me off about the better pricing. Wish I had known about it earlier!

The Nat King Cole is not a Blue Note, it's an Analogue Productions/Capitol SACD which is sold for $35 by the "elite" stores I mentioned in my earlier post. ImportCDs is selling it new for $22.88.

Yep, but the other titles are BNs of course...I couldn't resist getting the NKC as his voice had such incredible presence on the other SACD I got in the series--Love Is the Thing. The content is produced in mono, stereo and 3-channel, AP does a wonderful job with the productions.

NKC's 1950s and 1960s vocals with their (mostly) heavy string-laden backings are not my cup of tea, so I'll pass on these AP discs. They're too pricey for me anyway, the more so since I don't have an SACD player and don't intend to get one.

The strings are not the greatest ensemble for NKC...I agree. But at least it's not like Lady in Satin where the singer has a foot in the grave and is far from peak power. Nat's voice sounds so good over the strings! And as sappy as the arrangements are, the strings sound darn good too. Looking forward to the small ensemble Nat stuff in the series.

Yes, it works now. Thanks!

Is that 'See bald people touring mothballed battleships and protecting their computer data from the comfort of your Corpus Christi hotel room!' thread one of yours? ;)

http://forum.eyespeech.com/showthread.php?1262-lodging-in-corpus-christi

Nice eye for spam! If you want to leverage your mod skills there I'd be lucky to have you.

By the way, if anyone's heard those particular titles who cares to comment on how they sound, it would be great to get your input as I await their arrival!

Ike Quebec always sounded great. Guy had a tone that could melt ice on Antarctica.

The ice on Antarctica is melting anyway these days...

Seriously, I agree, Quebec had one of the most beautiful tones ever. Listen to him in "Deep in a Dream" on Sonny Clark's album Leapin' and Lopin'. Wonderful stuff.

These arrived yesterday and I've listened to the batch. The sound quality was overall excellent with some surprises--the Patton sounded incredible, like his organ was in the room. The upper octave sounds were very piercing and the vibrancy and dynamics of the organ were delivered better than other digital versions. The 3 Sounds was also surprisingly good. Blues Walk I expected a bit more detail but still an advance over the 1990 CD. It's funny how expectations can be proved wrong. The standout sonics of the bunch is tough to call. Possibly the Ike Quebec. But they were all well worth the upgrade.

I just purchased my first Blue Note hybrid SACDs this month, too. I like the sound, but I'm not used to it to be honest. I don't know if I still prefer the vinyl-like quality of the BN Works TOCJs, but maybe I do. At any rate, I'm happy to have the three I bought (Lee-Way, Maiden Voyage, Page One), and I think they'll grow on me in a good way. On Page One, I could hear, maybe for the first time, the Getz influence in Joe's playing.

Out In The Afternoon is really incredible.

I've never owned this album. I bought Rip, Rig, and Panic/Please Don't You Cry Now Beautiful Edith and a friend bought Out In The Afternoon way back when. We haven't lived in the same town since 1999.

I figured now's the time. Great album. Great sound. Especially RRK and the strangely hard panned reverb on the drum kit.

Glad to finally own this album.

Out In The Afternoon is really incredible.

I've never owned this album. I bought Rip, Rig, and Panic/Please Don't You Cry Now Beautiful Edith and a friend bought Out In The Afternoon way back when. We haven't lived in the same town since 1999.

I figured now's the time. Great album. Great sound. Especially RRK and the strangely hard panned reverb on the drum kit.

Glad to finally own this album.

To avoid any confusion - this is after all a Blue Note SACD thread - you're talking about the new Impulse! hybrid SACD, right?

I'm really looking forward to New Soil and Hub-Tones on (hybrid) SACD. I wonder if the distortion (is it distortion?) on the first track of New Soil will be given any special focus or treatment. Both Blue Note titles are some of my favorites.

I really, really wish AP would put out an SACD of a Sam Rivers Blue Note title. Don't really see that happening, however. Even less of a chance for a Don Cherry title I suppose. (But I hope I'm wrong!)

As for the Impulse! titles on SACD, I'd like to see East Broadway Rundown rehabilitated. It's never been one of the better sounding Impulse titles.