Great solo efforts.

Hardbopjazz

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has anybody heard Steve Coleman's recent solo release?? Mostly alto I presume, but seem to remember he also plays some soprano on it. Appears to be on Zorn's label, if I remember right (only saw a copy once, when Coleman was playing in town a couple months ago).

I know I'd LOVE to hear it once or twice, but knew I wouldn't spin it often enough to justify the expense.

Since nobody has mentioned him yet, I'll bring up Steve Lacy and his many solo soprano saxophone recordings. His first solo concert, from Avignon in 1972, was important historically, but he did better later. Among my favorites are Live at Unity Temple (Wobbly Rail), Sands (Tzadik), 10 of Dukes + 6 Originals (Senators), Only Monk & More Monk (Soul Note), Remains (hat ART), and my absolute favorite, 5 x Monk 5 x Lacy (Silkheart). Listening to this music takes concentration, since Lacy's improvisatory style is so undramatic. It's all about line and logic, sound and space, a note or no note. I find it fascinating to hear these pieces unfold.

Edited by jeffcrom

Get anything solo by Chris Anderson. And prepare for a unique journey.

Did anyone mention Hawk's Picasso? Well, I guess someone did now. Also Sonny Rollins, too many to mention.

Aside from the great Mr. Pass, there has been outstanding solo work from many, and will always be, since the instrument is a natural for it. I won't even cite examples or names, as there are simply too many.

Raymond Boni - L'oiseau, L'arbe, Le Beton - (Futura)

Great solo damaged-guitar recording and not at all in the Derek Bailey vein.

Fractured but heartfelt Herbie Nichols covers, on guitar:

Duck Baker - Spinning Song - (Tzadik/Avant)

Barre Phillips - Journal Violone - (Opus One)

beautiful solo bass recording, the first solo bass album, and quite compositional in scope (though apparently it was edited down from several hours of playing by composer Max Schubel). Only comparable solo-bass record is, IMHO, Inland Fish, by Motoharu Yoshizawa.

Bill Dixon - Odyssey - (Archive Edition)

Solo trumpet boxed set now very OOP, which is too bad. Mind-melting. Peter Evans' solo discs on psi are pretty hot as far as post-Dixon solo trumpet dates go.

I second McPhee's Tenor. Lacy solo is a fascinating world as well, though I personally get more out of his small-group recordings.

Cleve Pozar - Solo Percussion - (CSP)

Pierre Favre - Drum Conversation - (Calig) and Abanaba - (Futura)

Andrew Cyrille - What About? - (BYG)

All excellent and very different ideas of what a solo percussion record should be about. I haven't heard Cyrille's Ictus LP but I understand it's real good. Would also like to hear the solo Toshi Tsuchitori record.

The first half of Roscoe Mitchell's Congliptious (Nessa) presents early solos by Malachi, Lester and Roscoe. Excellent. Nonaah (Nessa) and The Natural and the Spiritual (AECO) include great later solo works by Roscoe and Malachi, respectively.

Edited by clifford_thornton

Forgive me for working from memory here; I'll probably foul this up.

I'm pretty sure there's a Hamiet Bluiett solo album called "Birthright" on India Navigation (?) I haven't heard this is a long while, but, as a saxophonist/pretender, it lingers in my memory...what's left of it.

And Lee Konitz has "Lone-Lee"

"For Alto" was one of my landmark listening experiences.