Hardbopjazz

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Evan Parker Lines Burnt in Light, Chicago Solo, Monoceros

Leroy Jenkins Solo Concert

Walt Dickerson - Shades of Love

Jay Hoggard - Solo Vibraphone (India Navigation)

Ralph Towner Solo Concert

Keith Jarrett - Solo Concerts Bremen Lausanne

And, even though I'm still wrestling with it some

Peter Kowald - Was Da Ist

Edited by randyhersom

I'm pretty sure there's a Hamiet Bluiett solo album called "Birthright" on India Navigation (?) I haven't heard this is a long while, but, as a saxophonist/pretender, it lingers in my memory...what's left of it.

Yes, it's a fine one indeed. Of the Bluiett LPs I own, it's probably the one I return to most.

Randy's recommendations are also excellent. I don't dislike the Kowald solo LP, but in my opinion he's always better in conversation with other musicians. I also have a solo Kowald LP on Qbico that I have not listened to yet.

Gianni Gebbia - Arcana Major, The Sonic Tarot Sessions (Rastascan)

da shit, as they say - incredible solo alto sax playing, the site says only five copies left... I guess five or six years ago when I bought it, there were still 10 or 11 left... this was one of the top favourites of several regulars in the funny rat thread.

Steve Lacy has been mentioned... I fondly recall the one occasion I saw him live, a beautiful Sunday matinee solo concert, short pieces, short concert, he still looked well though he must have been ill already... very precise music, bringing across his point most clearly. Strong, beautiful stuff!

Another sax player I saw solo (at the same festival, the Unerhört festival in Zurich) is Roscoe Mitchell. That was a whole other experience, very intense, maybe too intense. I didn't connect with it as immediately as I did with Lacy, but it's still a very fondly remembered concert. Mitchell has a 3CD solo set (sax + percussion) on Mutable Music, which I picked up back then, after the concert, but somehow never got around to really explore:

solo3.jpg

Also, I used to be a fan of the Rollins solo disc mentioned in the first post, but by now I think it's more of a dud... it's maybe interesting to witness Rollins at work, but it's not a stellar moment at all, I think.

Another great solo piano player is Martial Solal - Solo Solal, Nothing But Piano (both MPS), En Solo (RCA), Improvise pour France Musique (JMS), Solitude (CAM Jazz)...

And Solal was one of the pianists of the great box set "Jazz n (e)motion", five discs of solo film music, performed by Steve Kuhn, Stephan Oliva, Alain Jean-Marie and Paul Bley.

And that leads to three other great solo pianists, Paul Bley ("Homage to Carla" on Owl, for instance), Steve Kuhn, and Stephan Oliva (the Bernard Herman solo disc).

And thinking of Kuhn somehow brings Don Friedman to mind...

That then leads to the sadly hard to find Concord series of Maybeck performances (see, now and then Concord did some great things!)