Elvin Live at the Lighthouse

I had several attempts at selling the 2lp set on ebay. It went eventually. The cds of course, contain an awful lot of extra material. Though I think you have to like this band, some of the stuff goes on too long and wears out it's welcome.

Edited by JohnS

It may have been on the 1990 CD release, actually. I know this only because I was hunting around for a jazz version of "Happy Birthday" last year (don't ask!) and came across a listing for Elvin doing it at the Lighthouse. When I checked my Mosaic box, however, there was a note saying that it had been left off the set... I think it's just the crowd singing to him, actually. I'm sure that Cuscuna & co. felt pretty safe in leaving it off the box.

The only time Mosaic has left out anything from original LP releases in a "complete" set?

Perhaps! But not a first for Blue Note.

Sadly, they left the announcer's interjections between songs out when they transferred Grant Green's "Live at the Lighthouse" to CD to fit it onto one CD (two-disc set). It's sad, because the announcements are really cool, and in some cases, the band is vamping behind him. Live at the Lighthouse is still worth seeking out on wax, IMHO.

I understand that there were a bunch of 'between-tune' stage announcements and/or banter that were trimmed from the Mosaic version too. Can anyone confirm??

I, for one, am very glad Mosaic did the editing that they did -- but it would be interesting to hear the stuff they edited out, just for the heck of it.

Since Elvin Jones' Blue Note "Live at the Lighthouse" was issued on CDs, is the LP particularly desirable or particularly collectible?

If you have the space and still use a turntable, keep the LP.

If you no longer play LPs, sell them. (so someone else can listen to them)

:g

Since Elvin Jones' Blue Note "Live at the Lighthouse" was issued on CDs, is the LP particularly desirable or particularly collectible?

If you have the space and still use a turntable, keep the LP.

If you no longer play LPs, sell them. (so someone else can listen to them)

:g

Even with a crowbar, no one could pry my turntable from my white-knuckled grasp! In fact, I have a couple of functional spares. I would like to land a player that could play 78s.

I am keeping Elvin at the Lighthouse, even though I have the cds (not the Mosaic though)

Another Lighthouse date that is among my favorites is Lee Morgan's double LP with Bennie Maupin. Now THAT was a band! :blink:

BTW - the CD od Lee Morgan's last Blue Note twofer had a Reggie Workman solo on musical saw edited out of the multi-track mix - you still can hear it faintly in the background. I liked this very much and was disappointed they didn't mention this edit on the CD liner - I kept my LPs.