The Selection Process

Dan Gould

I'd like to put up for discussion an alternative method of selecting future compilers of the Organissimo Blindfold Test. If there is support for my idea, we can move onto an official poll to confirm a change, and in all circumstances, any changes should take effect after Jsngrey announces his appointment.

Here's the idea:

Instead of the current "Tap on the Shoulder" method, there should be a "signup thread" which members post to. This has, in my opinion, several advantages:

1. The "Tap On The Shoulder" method, like with the AOTW, seems likely to leave people out of luck, as the Tap seems to go, usually, to those who have outside-the-board-contact with the lucky selector. How many times have we seen people beg to be chosen for the next AOTW?

2. This method can be very helpful in allowing people plenty of time to plan their compilations and get themselves situated and ready to go when their time comes, resulting in shorter gaps between tests and then we'll all have more fun, more of the time. Note that I am not suggesting multiple tests being in circulation simultaneously-I just think that this method will have less of the "down time" we've seen between my test and Jim R.'s and now with Jim S.'s.

Edit:

3. If, as is often the case, people suddenly find themselves too busy to participate, then if the "rotation" is already known, people could easily switch with subsequent compilers. So, for example, let's say Test giver #7 is going to have a hard time getting stuff out. He contacts #8 or #9, and if those people are ready to go, perfect-they switch and the Organissimo Blindfold Test system keeps purring along like a well-oiled machine. Or like the Basie rhythm section. Or something.

What do you say?

Edited by Dan Gould

Remember that this little piece of fun costs money once you're on the giving end. It may just be that people don't see it as an honour to compile the disk, but more as a duty. I myself certainly feel some of the latter. Though I certainly also and moreso see it as a great opportunity to confront people here with my choice of music. I am not saying (nor would I want to infer) that many/most participants are free-riders, it's just that money and effort seem of little importance when they lay somewhere ahead of us in the future. Knowing exactly which day you're gonna have to be there puts another spin on it.

I will want to jump in real soon, my monetary situation has not be improving lately -- to put it eupemistically -- and if I don't do this soon, I cannot foresee when I will.

I'm in agreement with Dan's suggestion and would like to make one more point. When doing these, because it's going to out a lot of people, we need to appeal to as broad tastes as possible. I'm not saying the least common denominator, but just remember the audience you're targetting.

I'm in agreement with Dan's suggestion and would like to make one more point. When doing these, because it's going to out a lot of people, we need to appeal to as broad tastes as possible. I'm not saying the least common denominator, but just remember the audience you're targetting.

I'm sorry, but I do not agree. I think it is up to the compiler to make her/his choices. No taste is broad enough that it cannot do with a little prodding it even wider by confronting it with new things outside of it. Just another opinion... :rhappy:

I'm with couw on this. I know that Rooster's gonna give me a lot of progressive stuff that I wouldn't otherwise hear, and won't have a prayer of getting right, for the most part, but I'd still want to give it a listen. But I think the best part of these tests isn't the "test" part, its the expansion of horizons, even if its just exposure to a recording you weren't aware of by someone you already like.

I think this is an excellent idea.

I've enjoyed the two discs so far because they've confronted me with types of American jazz I've normally overlooked. The guessing part has been of little importance to me (though I was thrilled to pick out Louis Stewart...only to have me excitement quashed when JSngry got there first!).

I'd hope that the majority of posters who live in the States would be equally intrigued by what European (or Antipodean!) posters might put together...be it European (or Australasian) jazz; or American jazz chosen from a non-American outlook.

I think they'd be in for a few surprises.

As I told Dan privately some weeks ago (when discussing where the test was going after my turn was over), I think it's a good idea, but really wouldn't be unhappy if we continued with the "shoulder tap" process. In other words, I'll happily go along with the majority opinion.

I'd hope that the majority of posters who live in the States would be equally intrigued by what European (or Antipodean!) posters might put together...be it European (or Australasian) jazz; or American jazz chosen from a non-American outlook.

I think they'd be in for a few surprises.

Sort of like some of those surprises (track #7 comes to mind) on Tony's test? ;)

As one whose shoulder was tapped, I like Dan's idea. I was in line to do BF 4 but had to politely decline due to a lack of extra time right now. I figured we were just going to let people named Jim participate for a while, but Dan's idea is much better. :) I hope to be able to compile a test sometime next year!

I am still able to do some sending and burning if anyone wishes to use my services.

I'm in agreement with Dan's suggestion and would like to make one more point. When doing these, because it's going to out a lot of people, we need to appeal to as broad tastes as possible.  I'm not saying the least common denominator, but just remember the audience you're targetting.

I'm sorry, but I do not agree. I think it is up to the compiler to make her/his choices. No taste is broad enough that it cannot do with a little prodding it even wider by confronting it with new things outside of it. Just another opinion... :rhappy:

I believe we should broaden our horizons and I agree that it's up to the compiler and otherwise agree with John's thoughts but frankly what some people may choose may not be very interesting because their interests may be rather narrow. I see Jim's test quite differently because his interests are broad. Do I want to hear a cd of Andrew Hill or the like? Maybe others do. I don't. I would certainly like to hear European artists that we here in the States are not exposed to, however.

Yes, Jim. Like #7 of test 1...though sadly I missed that disc! Tip of an iceberg!

I think we just need to take the risk and go with whatever each compiler choses. It's up to each listener to approach each disc in an open minded way and if it's not to their taste, wait happily for the next one.

In the end I trust people to want to put together something varied. I can't imagine anyone putting together a disc of all Andrew Hill tracks. Or something all British, for that matter!!!

Edited by Bev Stapleton

In the end I trust people to want to put together something varied. I can't imagine anyone putting together a disc of all Andrew Hill tracks. Or something all British, for that matter!!!

Actually, Bev, I'd love to hear a disc of all British artists. I subscribe to Jazz Review and I've often wondered what some of the artists they write about sound like. I'd welcome a disc like that.

As someone who doesn't own a cd burner and is, therefore, unlikely to produce a blindfold disc, the nomination process is not important to me. Right now, I'm just a beneficiary of some blindfold music.

It should be pointed out that those sign the list be aware that the number of people who wish to participate and listen to their discs is a large one and probably growing.

I only listen and do not create these discs, but I promise always to post my guesses and thoughts. It's the least I can do. :rsmile:

It should be pointed out that those sign the list be aware that the number of people who wish to participate and listen to their discs is a large one and probably growing.

A good point - but solvable by breaking down into smaller webs.

It would not make sense for, say a European to send out to 30 US addresses - might get ver expensive. But if the European sent discs to volunteers 1 to 10 who in turn agreed to burn and distribute to five people each...well you've got 50 discs out.

I've got my two so via Gary.

Actually, Bev, I'd love to hear a disc of all British artists. I subscribe to Jazz Review and I've often wondered what some of the artists they write about sound like. I'd welcome a disc like that.

I won't promise an all-UK disc, Brad. I suspect, though it would be largely non-American; not out of dislike of US jazz but merely in the interest of variety...and a little crusading spirit! It would also be likely to stretch the definition of 'jazz' somewhat!

Edited by Bev Stapleton