Frank McCourt, RIP

The Irish/American NYC English teacher who wrote Angela's Ashes died today after a battle with cancer. He was 78.

Source: Author Frank MCourt Dies

My favorite book of his was, as you might expect, Teacher Man.

I'll hoist a pint of Guinness in your honor tonight.

Rest in Peace, Mr. McCourt.

Edited by GoodSpeak

Read his obit today in The Telegraph; interesting to read that his mother denounced "Angela's Ashes" as lies. This wouldn't be the first "misery lit" book to have been questioned by those who "were there" - didn't Dave Pelzer's family say much the same? I know there has been a recent court case in the UK where the mother of one of these authors has sued her daughter for something like libel or defamation.

Read his obit today in The Telegraph; interesting to read that his mother denounced "Angela's Ashes" as lies. This wouldn't be the first "misery lit" book to have been questioned by those who "were there" - didn't Dave Pelzer's family say much the same? I know there has been a recent court case in the UK where the mother of one of these authors has sued her daughter for something like libel or defamation.

Well, it has been my experience [both professional and personal] that a child abuser rarely admits anything ever happened.