MADLY GOOD bonus session(!) on SOLOMON ILORI Conn, 1964

Rooster_Ties

I listened to these three cuts last night on the way home from work.

The first piece has a section with Elvin and percussion section. That business had me hanging on every note. It was like Elvin had another arm and a few more drums. Magic.

The third piece's drum breakdown was a bit more odd. You could tell Elvin was going to do that stretch the tempo thing in the solo. And he did. But it felt like the straight time of the rest of the percussion made it out of place.

First time I'd heard Laws on tenor. NICE!

In case you like Latin Soul Jazz, try Mongo Santamaria's Soul Bag on Columbia - Laws plays that raunching tenor solo on Cold Sweat!

Many seem to forget he is from Texas and was part of the group of musicians that decided to move to California and become the Jazz Crusaders - Laws didn't join them because he had just gotten his grant to study flute at Juillard in New York. He joined Mongo to finance his studies, and became one of the greatest players and writers in that mixed style fusing Cuban music, jazz, and R & B.

cover.jpg

• 11 months later...

Listened to it about 6 months ago, actually, totally forgot about this thread. Sorry...but yeah, damn good, and yeah, check out Hubert Laws with Mongo. I think there might have been a side or two with him and Sonny Fortune? Not sure?

Also heard him on organist Bill Mason's Eastbound album recently. What so many people don't care for in his flute playing is absent in his tenor playing, at least as I hear it, except one helluva embouchure on both axes, and that is a treu bitch in itself right there.

• 4 years later...
39 minutes ago, Teasing the Korean said:

Don't judge the bonus session by the original album.  

Agreed.  I have no use for the original album except for the fact that it is a 1963 Blue Note session.  So it joins the ranks of Dodo Greene, Donald Byrd's "I'm Trying to Get Home", and "Jimmy Smith Plays Fats Waller" as Blue Notes from that era I  don't actually see myself ever listening to again.  But the bonus session is fine, fiery music.

4 hours ago, mjzee said:

Isn't there more of the bonus session that remains unreleased?

To answer my own question: yes.  The following tracks remain unissued (not rejected): Bamu bamu l'ayr (I have the strength to sing), and Toni omo re (Loving your child).

On 5/12/2018 at 9:13 AM, JohnS said:

This is one of the very few Blue Notes I don't have.  I never fancied the original and had no idea he Conn had extra tracks.  It looks like this will be difficult to find at a reasonable price.

UK seller on Discogs listing at 9.99+pp