Your audio equipment?

neveronfriday

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 9/23/2020 at 8:33 AM, charlieboy said:

Finally all together and in the system. Greg Metz STS modified Thorens TD124 MKII, rewired Ortofon RMG212 tonearm, with an Andy Kim Needle Clinic rebuilt and retipped Ortofon S15-T MC cartridge with a linear contact diamond tip, and aluminium cantilever. The Ray Brown Trio had the honor of first play.and it didn’t disappoint.

fetch?id=143515&d=1600868671

I have the identical Thorens (although it's still original and needs work), what did you have STS do to it?

300-652_HR_0.jpg
Dayton Audio b652

310-3000_HR_0.jpg

Lepai LP-2020TI

$_59.JPG

Arcam CD73

My main system, which is comprised of a Rouge Stereo 90 tube amp, Conrad Johnson tube preamp, and Spendor speakers, is in "storage."  I was looking for an inexpensive desktop system.  I ran across a few good reviews of the Dayton Audio b652 and Lepai LP-2020TI amplifier used as a combo.  Parts Express sells the combo for $65.00.  I purchased them on sale for $65.00 shipped.  I was prepared to be underwhelmed.  I figured that if I did not like the speakers, I could use them for rears in a home theater set up.

I have used the combo with my Arcam CD73 cd player (which I purchased for about $700.00 new many years ago) and hooked it up to my PC using the included 3.5'' cable to play FLAC files.  I am a discriminating listener. I have been pleasantly surprised how good the combo sounds, especially given the price.  To my ears, this combo would more than hold its own against systems that I have heard costing several thousands of dollars.  Highly recommended for anyone looking for good sound in a small to medium sized room. 

Edited by sonnyhill

On 9/22/2020 at 6:12 PM, charlieboy said:

Well well.... talk about a flashback. Here’s an update to what my setup looks like now. I can’t believe I found this thread after almost 15 years.

Full room treatment has been complete for a while now. The fine detail, imagining, depth, and soundstage has went to another level that I have never experienced in this room in the 20 years since I built it.

50TB’s of High resolution files up to 512 DSD through modified Teac 501 with Time Machine X10 external clock, idler drive, belt drive, and direct drive turntables, Otari, Studer, and Teac reel to reel machines for 15ips master and safety copies-Radu Tarta preamp with 101d tubes selected-James Burgess 45, 46, 2a3, and 6bq5 type amplifiers -custom 104db efficient horn speakers with 2” Eliptrac 400 wooden horns, tweeters, crites cast woofers, and custom ALK crossovers.

This system has real synergy and is sounding amazing.

IMG-0210resizwe.jpg

IMG-0213resize.jpg

Full-Size-Render-2-resize.jpg

Full-Size-Renderresize.jpg

That is one heck of a setup. Well done. 

On 2/7/2004 at 11:49 AM, Brad said:

My setup, as follows:

Rotel RCD 991 CD Player

Arcam A75 Integrated Amp

Vandersteen 1C Speakers

ProJect 1.2 Turntable

Since I first posted this over 16 years ago, in 2019 I upgraded my turntable to a ProJect X2.  Not sure this counts as audio set up but I recently purchased a Nitty Gritty 1.0 record cleaning machine. 

Edited by Brad

Equipment not in use:

Thorens TD124 MKII (needs work)

Fisher 400 Tube Receiver (Being restored)

JBL C36 Speakers w/original legs. (Cabinets are in great condition, but will be having these restored)

Teac 3340 S Reel to Reel (still works fine, I just don't use it)

Current set up:

Audioengine B1 Bluetooth Receiver

NAD 316BEE Integrated Amp

NAD C515BEE CD Player

Ascend Acoustics Sierra 2 Speakers

Bellari VP130 Phone Preamp

U-Turn Audio Orbit Special Turntable

I've been researching a new cd player, which makes me want new speakers and that will probably lead to a new amp, so most of the current will become secondary.

6 hours ago, Dave James said:

Mid-60's McIntosh MR 67 FM tuner, C 24 Solid State pre-amp and  MC 250 amp.  Mid-60's JBL 030 15" speakers.  Two Thorens turntables, a TD-125 and a TD -160.  

TD-125 is a very nice turntable - I've got one myself. 🙂  What arm and cartridge do you have on it? 

On 9/25/2020 at 1:13 PM, catesta said:

I have the identical Thorens (although it's still original and needs work), what did you have STS do to it?

They offer a basic restoration which I believe is a full disassembly , rebuild of the motor , rebuild of the main bearing , new rubber mushroom mounts, acid bath cleaning of the linkages to remove the cadmium oxidation present on every TD124  (cadmium is toxic and causes cancer). They disassemble the linkages and acid wash to remove the loose oxidation then treat the metal to make it safe.

i had the tonearm rewired and gone through slso.

The chassis is painted (if needed in factory color or your choice) and polished to shine like new., and everything gets cleaned then reassembled /adjusted to factory specs. The result is a beautiful TD124 which is ready for another 60 years of operation.

It also also went beyond  the basic restoration and had the idler wheel and motor upgraded. There are other things like better platter etc than can be done.

i think that’s about what I remember.

Greg Metz owner at STS is great to work with and stands behind his work as he looked at the tonearm for again long after it had been in his shop at NO charge. He has a fast turnaround time usually also.

https://www.classicthorens.com/service.html

The Ortofon cartridge now has about five hours on it after a rebuild and retip from Andy Kim at needle clinic and I highly recommend him and his great work. 

http://www.phonocartridgeretipping.com/

Edited by charlieboy

On 10/1/2020 at 7:50 AM, catesta said:

Much appreciated. I'm hoping to get this done soon. When I have the Fisher back, restore the Thorens and JBLs I will have my father's complete system back in place.

Other than the turntable, the system I have also belonged to my father.  I still have all the manuals and the original bill of sale,  The price of the McIntosh electronics and the JBL speakers came to just over $1,200 when he purchased them in 1967.    

On 10/3/2020 at 9:08 PM, Dave James said:

Other than the turntable, the system I have also belonged to my father.  I still have all the manuals and the original bill of sale,  The price of the McIntosh electronics and the JBL speakers came to just over $1,200 when he purchased them in 1967.    

That's great. I have the original manual for the Fisher but the others were lost back in the day.

My father liked to tell the story of when he picked up the JBL speakers and I still have pictures of the original set up from when I was a kid. I'm looking forward to getting it all back in shape.

• 4 weeks later...

Nottingham Analog Spacedeck - Two arm setup: NA Spacearm + Dynavector XX2 and Rega RB300 + Ortofon Cadenza Black Mono

Dynavector P75's for each setup. Testing Linn Uphorik + Dynavector SUP to see if I can consolidate to a single box.

Exposure CD Player

Dynavector Pre and Power Amplifiers

Neat Vito Speakers

----

Added the mono setup 4 years ago. The rest of the system has been in place for 15-20 years.

• 1 month later...
On 9/22/2020 at 3:12 PM, charlieboy said:

Well well.... talk about a flashback. Here’s an update to what my setup looks like now. I can’t believe I found this thread after almost 15 years.

Full room treatment has been complete for a while now. The fine detail, imagining, depth, and soundstage has went to another level that I have never experienced in this room in the 20 years since I built it.

50TB’s of High resolution files up to 512 DSD through modified Teac 501 with Time Machine X10 external clock, idler drive, belt drive, and direct drive turntables, Otari, Studer, and Teac reel to reel machines for 15ips master and safety copies-Radu Tarta preamp with 101d tubes selected-James Burgess 45, 46, 2a3, and 6bq5 type amplifiers -custom 104db efficient horn speakers with 2” Eliptrac 400 wooden horns, tweeters, crites cast woofers, and custom ALK crossovers.

This system has real synergy and is sounding amazing.

IMG-0210resizwe.jpg

IMG-0213resize.jpg

Full-Size-Render-2-resize.jpg

Full-Size-Renderresize.jpg

Surprised Face Emoji | Surprise face, Surprised emoji, Shocked emoji

https://www.ebay.com/itm/QUEEN-A-Kind-Of-Magic-1986-UNRELEASED-EMI-UK-ORIGINAL-MASTER-TAPES-Ultra-RARE/283500479291?hash=item4201f2033b:g:mzwAAOSwEVtb37Ae

you're all set up for this dawg-

On 12/28/2020 at 1:08 PM, charlieboy said:

IMG-1283resize.jpg

IMG-1275resize.jpg

IMG-1257resize.jpg

IMG-1254resize.jpg

Omg Face Png Jpg Library - Cartoon Shocked Face - Free Transparent PNG  Download - PNGkey

are you you using new russian made tubes? youre not putting vintage tubes in those things im gussing--. so everything i like about the sound of my radios, thats what it like when you have that for your receiver and amplification for your main system?  wowowowwowowwww!!!!!  

Edited by chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez

Plain black Tubelab Simple Single Ended EL34 Amp triode wired single-ended amplifier designed by George Anderson. This amplifier has a beefier power supply than usually offered in the basic design and, Obbligato coupling caps, Kiwame and PRP resistors, and Transcendar Output transformers. It's not the prettiest amp but sounds very very good!

resize.jpg

These pictures really make me scratch my head... how do you decide what to use? And how do you swap them? And how do you compare them? And why have so many of the same thing??? Can't you just pick the "best" of each component and dump the rest?

I just don't get why one would need 3 or 4 turntables, 7 or 8 amps, 3 or 4 CD players, 4 or 5 preamps, etc, etc, etc. I have a friend that collects old audio stuff for parts. This looks a lot like his basement.

21 hours ago, bresna said:

These pictures really make me scratch my head... how do you decide what to use? And how do you swap them? And how do you compare them? And why have so many of the same thing??? Can't you just pick the "best" of each component and dump the rest?

I just don't get why one would need 3 or 4 turntables, 7 or 8 amps, 3 or 4 CD players, 4 or 5 preamps, etc, etc, etc. I have a friend that collects old audio stuff for parts. This looks a lot like his basement.

Hello. Not one piece of gear I own is the same or a redundant piece other than a few R2R decks. For turntables  I own a belt drive, idler drive, and direct drive. Amps are the following tube types... 42, 45, ,46, 47, EL84, EL34, 2A3, 300B. I do not own a CD player (that I use anyway). I have two rooms and 4 sets of custom speakers and gear gets rotated depending on my mood and music on any given day. For me it’s much more than an old parts collection. I’ve waited up to almost a year for some of these pieces to be designed and built. I can swap any piece in or out in a few minutes.

Ken Uesugi 42 type tube amp/DAC/pre

IMG-1425resize.jpg

IMG-1424resize.jpg

Edited by charlieboy

22 hours ago, bresna said:

... I just don't get why one would need 3 or 4 turntables, 7 or 8 amps, 3 or 4 CD players, 4 or 5 preamps, etc, etc, etc. I have a friend that collects old audio stuff for parts. This looks a lot like his basement.

How many versions of Soul Station does one need? ;)