Your audio equipment?

neveronfriday

29 minutes ago, charlieboy said:

After over 10 years this happened. Someone reached out to me with a Carina. I was very happy until it arrived and it was the worst packing job I have ever seem (From the UPS store mind you). The seller wasn't comfortable packing it but UPS was not the answer in this case. After going through it the last two days I have it as presentable as it's going to get. From far away it's okay but up close it's a mess on the sides and front and one of the tranny bells is dented ever so slightly but I am keeping it. It sounds really great so far but will get a good going through soon. 

Very nice. What are the output tubes - EL84? My speakers have EL86 which are getting harder to find, so I'm trying not to waste them. 

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The tubes are EL84/6BQ5.

I lost track if my dear friend Eddie Vaughn about 13 years ago and after several attempts over the years I could never make contact with him. I saw an obituary in 2015 for an Eddie Vaughn in Arkansas where he was from. It’s been on my mind for some time and I recently was able to acquire an original Carina amp he had built as I always wanted one. That's why I put up with the shipping mishap and will be keeping it even though up close it has seen many many better days, but as it now just has another chapter to the story of me trying to track one down it will remain here with me.

On Saturday this set arrived for my bedroom of 10 x 14 feet - perfect for this small room, coupled with a old turntable style Pioneer CD player. That miniature amp is great. I paid € 479,00 for it sans CD player, which is much less than what the single components would have cost me. Micromega MyAmp plus two Focal Chrous 760 speakers plus speaker wire of good quality.

41AX%2BLx7ZvL._AC_.jpg

https://micromega.com/en/products/my-range/myamp/

Edited by mikeweil

34 minutes ago, Brad said:

Added this record clamp recently. 

E7056C35-8D09-4302-A42F-120B3F6C408D.jpeg

I got a similar one recently:

61u4sqR-uWL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

Do you like yours?  I can't really say it makes my records sound better, but I love how it adds to the ritual of playing a record.  In fact, I recently got a bag of those yellow 45 inserts, to allow me to use the clamp while I play 45's.

45 minutes ago, mjzee said:

I got a similar one recently:

61u4sqR-uWL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

Do you like yours?  I can't really say it makes my records sound better, but I love how it adds to the ritual of playing a record.  In fact, I recently got a bag of those yellow 45 inserts, to allow me to use the clamp while I play 45's.

Yes, I like it but like you I’m unsure if it really reduces vibrations. However, if you have warped records, they’re supposed to be very effective. 

On 9/28/2020 at 10:03 AM, Dave James said:

Mid-60's McIntosh MR 67 FM tuner, C 24 Solid State pre-amp and  MC 250 amp.  Mid-60's JBL 030 15" speakers.  Two Thorens turntables, a TD-125 and a TD -160.  

I just bought the MR 80 tuner and it should arrive next week.   What sort of antenna did you attach to it?  Maybe none at all?    I’ve seen some discussion online where people really get into the weeds on this and have elaborate antenna set ups.    I won’t be doing that, but am just curious.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Since it was maybe a bit unclear from my post above - get a Shure V15 type IV cartridge with a stabilizer brush and then you don't need a sweeper. :)

(However, the brushes on aftermarket styli are not of the same quality as the originals. That became evident when I recently switched back to an old Shure original stylus while getting a reasonable replacement.) 

• 2 months later...

A few pics of late including new restored Thornes TD124 TT. STS serviced with upgrades including a rewired and serviced Ortofon RMG-212 tonearm. A new idler wheel from AudioSilente of Italy. A WoodSong Audio thrust bearing kit with an 8mm thick bronze cap, a 6mm thick Torlon thrust pad, and a Grade 5 sapphire ball bearing. An MK2 conversion kit with the Hanze Hi-Fi Motor Spring Suspension kit is also installed. In this conversion, the 3 motor suspension mount studs of the MK1 motor, are replaced with longer motor suspension studs to give more motor suspension travel as well as allowing installation of the Hanze HiFi motor spring suspension system which reduces motor noise into the chassis by -16db over the standard double polymer bushing design which is still installed on most TD124’s. SPH copper mat copper record stabilizer, and Waynes outer ring round things out.

F_mCc8dnoqE5yohIOK30XKxTz9VEKLoe1DxdJw69

69vF22QFzkTlUA7_BBflLTWU5x5uAeFitVFSlJ8X

oM45jqi73RtImigLQRDsCEf3qOnavSmY7nfId82v

Edited by charlieboy

• 4 weeks later...

All done and setup... I have wanted to do one of these correctly for a long time. A Technics SP10 MKII that has received the Krebs treatment, DAS dual arm plinth, Fidelity Research FR24 MKII 9", Jelco TK-950L MKII 12", Sph copper mat and record stabilizer. Ortofon and Audio Technica carts. Time for a listen tonight hopefully.

IMG-3751.jpg

IMG-3752.jpg