Your audio equipment?

neveronfriday

Vibes - not even close to $700! Including shipping, mine were $400 almost to the dollar, ordered from Etronics yesterday and they've already been shipped.

Tony, let me know how you like them. $700 is the MSRP on these, and I've always thought that was a bit steep. I can tell you that based on the manufacturer's cost, the place you bought them from isn't making very much off of them. Nice find - hope you like them! I tried to get my Sony rep to give me some, but MDRV700DJ's were the best he could do. ;)

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just to add some variety to the subject I have the old Thorens TD-165 of my father who doesn't use it anymore (don't know the difference with the 160). Hardly ever use it too.....

Sony SCD-777ES

Accuphase: E-503

B&W Nautilus 802's (no I'm not Greg, he has the Sony SCD-1!!!)

Siltech G5 Signature cables for everything.

As you can guess I'm happy with this and won't be buying anything for the next 10 years or so, although I've seen a nice cd player..........

Cheers and all the best,

Reinier

• 3 weeks later...

I've just made a pre-amp upgrade on my system to the Naim Audio NAC-82 from the NAC-72. Also have the NAP-250 power amp with Hi-Cap supply, a Naim CDX with XPS supply for playing CDs, Linn LP12 with Lingo supply/Naim Aro/IQII for turntable/arm/cartridge and Dynaudio Contour 1.8 speakers. Interconnects are by Chord (near-neighbours of Naim in Salisbury, Wiltshire, UK).

Pondering the Dynavector DV17 cartridge on the Aro arm. Anyone have any opinions on this one?

I have Notts Analogue Spacedeck/Dynavector 17D2/Stageline phono amp/Naim Nait5/Flatcap 2 power supply/ Naim CD3.5/Royd Doublet speakers .

Sidewinder I have a few friends with the same setup as you. I would consider the Lyra carts , I think theres a new one the Argo at the same price as the 17D2. You wont go wrong with the 17D2 I really like mine but Lyra has a bit more body and drive from what I've heard. matter of taste really.

I agree with Chuck about live music. I saw Evan Parker/John Edwards/Tony Marsh last night at the Vortex. I love EP in this regular gig he plays mainly tenor and just lets loose. Joyous. I think you feel the music as much as hear it.

John

Edited by John C

• 2 weeks later...

Vibes - getting back to the Sony MDRCD3000 headphones, so far I absolutely LOVE them. Very "true" sound (no overtly boomy, artificial bass OR tinny high end - full audio range is reproduced with great distinction among lows, mids and highs). They do an outstanding job of creating a sense of space, avoiding that "in your head" problem so many headphones have. I've been sitting here surfing the Web for jazz stuff and listening for over an hour and it's like I haven't even started to listen yet - NO ear fatigue, and I do tend to push listening volumes a little too high sometimes. Ears aren't sore either, extremely comfortable.

These are amazing headphones, I would highly recommend them to anyone.

• 1 month later...

Thorens TD-160 (ca. 1975) with Ortofon cartridge/OM-5E styli (replaced once every 20 days or so)

I've been thinking of this ever since your original post: Do you change stylus every 20th day??? After how many hours of playing do you consider a stylus too worn? Or do you mean that you change the whole turntable every 20th day? ;)

Edited by Daniel A

I just bought and last night installed a "Samson" rack from Mapleshade Records. 2" maple shelves, solid threaded steel rods, brass locking nuts and brass spiked feet. It's expensive, okay it's TOO expensive, but I've loved the results of their maple platform, brass cones, Isoblocks, etc. and used the proceeds of selling an amp to buy this rack.

WOW!

I'd say the system sounds about 15% better somehow! This thing is so solid and so beautiful! I'm REALLY looking forward to a weekend of heavy listening.

I just bought and last night installed a "Samson" rack from Mapleshade Records. 2" maple shelves, solid threaded steel rods, brass locking nuts and brass spiked feet. It's expensive, okay it's TOO expensive, but I've loved the results of their maple platform, brass cones, Isoblocks, etc. and used the proceeds of selling an amp to buy this rack.

That is one of nicest "flexi" racks I've ever seen! I wish I could afford that, those 2" maple shelves are beautiful! I went the DIY route, 3/4" all thread with grade 8 nuts from Fastenal and since my father-inlaw is a cabinet maker, he helped me with the shelves, but only 3/4" veneered mdf.

So, what amp did you trade for this?

My latest purchase was some eighth nerve room treatments. WOW is an understatement in how this improved the sound in my room!

Edited by jacknife

My set up?

Yamaha RX-550 Stereo Receiver

TEAC EQUA-5 Graphic Equalizer

[2] Cambridge Soundworks Tower II Loud Speakers

[2] Jensen JP-1200 Loud Speakers w/Sub Woofers

Technics SL-D033 Direct Drive Turntable

Technics RS-TR33 Dual Cassette Player

Pioneer CT-980W Dual Cassette Player

[2] Sony CDP-CEZ275 5-Disc CD Changers

Edited by GoodSpeak

Since I bought a pair of Decware EL34 Monoblock amps after Thanksgiving, I sold my Decware Select amp that was my best stereo friend for three years.

The new Monoblocks are a better fit for my Radial RL-2 speakers. They're twice as powerful, and have nearly the same sound as the Select, they're maybe just a tad warmer, which is a plus probably. I'm very happy with my system, especially with this Samson rack, which I'm just so glad to have at last.

Edited by jazzbo

does it matter what you got or does it matter what you LISTEN to?

It doesn't matter what you have OR what you listen to as long as you enjoy it! I definately enjoy listening to my favorite music on a quality system as opposed to the crappy boombox in my bathroom, there is a difference.