Your audio equipment?

neveronfriday

Guest Bill Barton

Denon AVC-700 integrated amp ($40 at a yard sale - works fine)

Sony DVP-NS56P CD/DVD player

Pioneer double cassette deck (ancient and rarely used)

NAD 5020A turntable

DBX XB140 subwoofer amp +

DBX Soundfield satellite/subwoofer speaker system (from the brief foray DBX made into the consumer electronics field - still sound wonderful...)

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

McIntosh MA-6900 Integrated

McIntosh MCD-301 SACD/CD player

Dynaudio Contour s3.4 speakers

Rega P3-24 tt w/Elys-2 cartridge

Philips cdr-765 recorder

Cardas Crosslink & Kimber interconnects

Are you happy with your Rega turntable? I've been considering buying the same turntable

at some point.

TT: Brinkmann Lagrange

Arms: Brinkmann 10.5 and Brinkmann 12

Cartridges: Air Tight PC 1 (stereo), Lyra Helicon (mono)

CD player: Linn CD12 Sondek

Phono Amp: Manley Steelhead

Pre Amp: Audio Research Reference 2 MKII

Power Amps: Linn Klimax (monos)

Loudspeakers: Wilson Audio Watt/Puppy V

Power Conditioner: Burmester

Edited by porcy62

Philips cdr-765 recorder

Are you happy with your Rega turntable? I've been considering buying the same turntable

at some point.

Yes, although I should mention that there was an audible (albeit low level) rubbing/grinding noise that both the dealer and I heard.....so he sent for a replacement motor and everything is perfect. Rega is not known for having motor flaws, so I'm guessing that mine fell off the back of the truck or something? Quite pleased with the cartridge.

The green goes nicely with the green Iggy vinyl, dontcha think?

102_0208-1.jpg

Sansui AU-D11 II integrated amp, circa 1984, completely recapped

Sony DVP S9000 ES for SACD playback

Sony SCD-C222 ES 5CD changer, playing through an Entech Number Cruncher 203.2 DAC (will probably sell this CDP)

Denon DCD-1560 CDP

Totem Acoustics Sttaf speakers, w/ homebrew biwires

Tuners: Marantz 20, Kenwood L-01T, Denon TU-850, Sony ST-A6B (planning to sell some of these, trying to decide which ones)

Currently shopping for a USB DAC to set up a PC-based music server- contenders at this point are:

Cambridge DAC Magic

Musical Fidelity V-DAC

or if funds allow, at higher price points..

Music Hall 25.2

Paradisea 3

Lon,

I was ready at one time to dive into the Decware tube world. Until one day a 1960's H H Scott 299C integrated amp came my way, and after getting it recapped, I haven't considered anything else. It would be interesting to compare the two systems (old and new).......

I have a secondary set up at my girlfriend's:

Sansui 5000A receiver (surprisingly transparent and quick, an excellent sounding machine)

HK CDR2

Technics SL-1800 with Pickering 3000 needle

Mini Wharfdale speakers

Those old receivers have a certain sound, very full and very friendly, warm and sweet. It's easy to get entranced with them, I can see why you're holding steady with yours. I have a 1959 EICO that really needs recapping etc. but was my main amp for a long time. The Decware stuff is like a cross between the old sound and the new sound of the best solid state. . . accurate and balanced tonally, full and rich. I am about to receive another ond of their amps, the Torii Mark II. A push-pull model, one of the very first ones Steve Deckert made, made for the builder of his speakers. I bought that from him (Bob Zeigler).

post-83-1242593639_thumb.jpg

Edited by jazzbo

Someone has been upgrading.

Yikes!!! What a set-up!!!

Why Wilsons, when there are so many great Italian speakers?

RR,

I recommend also looking at the Peachtree Audio Integrateds (built in DAC, tubed preamp, USP input along with coaxial and optical). I have the Decco and really like it.

http://www.signalpathint.com/index.php/Pea...o-Products.html

Thank you Lon. Looks like a nice piece.

Consumer confidence is not terribly high around here, so I am likely to stick with my present set-up for now and just jump into PC-based audio in a relatively inexpensive manner for starters. I am also kind of "old-school" in that I like having tone controls, although I also appreciate the ability to bypass them.

The Sansui amp is really a great piece, was $1000 when new in 1984. It is much less "colored" than most vintage Sansuis, powerful and clean. And I have a considerable investment in having it recapped- every single electrolytic capacitor has been replaced- all 69 of them!

Having said that, I've sometimes considered adding some tubes to the system via a buffer such as the Yaquin unit, which would allow me to experiment fairly inexpensively or at least at less cost than one of the aforementioned tube DACs.

Someone has been upgrading.

Yikes!!! What a set-up!!!

Why Wilsons, when there are so many great Italian speakers?

The Wilsons are a long running engagement. They were sitting in their corner, staring at me everytimes I visited my usual hi-fi shop. When Mr. Wilson issued the 'VI' version, I bought the 'V' as demo for half the price.

Actually I bought most of the above stuff used.

Nice to hear you Wolff. :)

Edited by porcy62

Philips cdr-765 recorder

at some point.

Yes, although I should mention that there was an audible (albeit low level) rubbing/grinding noise that both the dealer and I heard.....so he sent for a replacement motor and everything is perfect. Rega is not known for having motor flaws, so I'm guessing that mine fell off the back of the truck or something? Quite pleased with the cartridge.

The green goes nicely with the green Iggy vinyl, dontcha think?

102_0208-1.jpg

Green color goes just fine but I'd choose black instead :) . Rega is not too expensive choice in my budget and therefore I will audition P3-24 at my apartment very soon.

RR,

I recommend also looking at the Peachtree Audio Integrateds (built in DAC, tubed preamp, USP input along with coaxial and optical). I have the Decco and really like it.

http://www.signalpathint.com/index.php/Pea...o-Products.html

Thank you Lon. Looks like a nice piece.

Consumer confidence is not terribly high around here, so I am likely to stick with my present set-up for now and just jump into PC-based audio in a relatively inexpensive manner for starters. I am also kind of "old-school" in that I like having tone controls, although I also appreciate the ability to bypass them.

The Sansui amp is really a great piece, was $1000 when new in 1984. It is much less "colored" than most vintage Sansuis, powerful and clean. And I have a considerable investment in having it recapped- every single electrolytic capacitor has been replaced- all 69 of them!

Having said that, I've sometimes considered adding some tubes to the system via a buffer such as the Yaquin unit, which would allow me to experiment fairly inexpensively or at least at less cost than one of the aforementioned tube DACs.

Hey I understand that. I've spent tons of money on my stereo lately because. . . I have it.

I'm sure that Sansui sounds wonderful. I've heard Sansuis of that vintage and they sound great, and if this is less colored all the better.

I do think that if you used the Peachtree Audio Decco (which I'm sure you can find and is cheaper than the Nova) as a preamp that would be a really good solution for you, all sources could benefit from the tubed preamp, and you could get the benefit of your Sansui power amp, huge as the power supply is.

I'm not a fan of ANY of the Chinese tube products I've heard, so I wouldn't mess with that buffer amp, as seductive as the pricing is, personally.

• 2 weeks later...

One big change is going on the way.

Since the Manley has a line input and a volume control, and a great one!, I listened the Manley driving directly the power amps for some weeks.

Well, I decided to sell the pre amp (Audio Research). Actually the AR adds its 'signature' to the music, wich is a nice 'signature', but I definitely prefer the more direct, I'd say 'lively', sound through the output buffer of the Manley.

Edited by porcy62

Wow.

I got a great offer in March: the chance to buy an amp I've wanted ever since it's introduction and ever since I read the designer's notes, at about 60% of the cost of one new. In fact this amp is serial number "00"--made for the designer's partner who helps design and constructs the company's excellent speakers. The designer went through this amp and brought it up to the current production specifications and construction, thus offering me a lifetime warranty.

After a long wait it's now in my system this week and I'm just absolutely floored. It has all the features of the company's amps and yet is also without the limitations of its smaller siblings. It has an easy breathing power within its core, ready to be put to use just like that. It has a precision that is remarkable and attention-grabbing. And yet it can delicately cradle the gentlest most sensitive hint of sound or texture and place it protectively just where it should be.

I'm amazed and so very happy. This amp will be the heartbeat and foundation, this is the amp that brings out everything in my stystem that I want to hear. The icing on the cake for me is the treble cut adjustment pots, a little known secret available for Decware amps. . . . They have allowed me to tailor the sound to recordings and the room without degrading the sound quality in any way. For anyone with a large collection of recordings and who doesn't only listen to the really good ones, this is a great feature, almost indispensable to me now. (I had it incoporated into my previous amplifier and it's really made a difference in my listening.)

If anyone is considering an amplfier of real quality, I invite them to consider this one.

Here's the designer's notes: http://www.decware.com/paper68.htm

Here's the product page: http://www.decware.com/newsite/TORII.htm

This one is not going anywhere!

Edited by jazzbo

• 3 months later...

This has been a great thread to read through. I thought I may as well list my system even though I'm new here, due to the fact that it was a resurgent interest in jazz that drove me to upgrade my system (previous system consisted of all Sony components purchased in 1993). This began in February 2008 and I just got it to where I want it this past June. The only possible changes in the future that I can foresee would be the addition of a turntable but of course that has other implications (i.e. buying vinyl). Anyway here goes. With the exception of the CD player, everything was purchased used (on Audiogon or Ebay):

Parasound Halo A23 Amplifier

Parasound Halo P3 Preamplifier

Parasound Halo T3 Tuner

Bada HD-22SE Tubed CD Player

Polk Audio Lsi9 speakers

Magnum Dynalab Signal Sleuth

Magnum Dynalab S-2 Antenna

MIT Shotgun S-3 Bi-wire Interface Speaker cables

MIT Shotgun S-3 Interconnects (3 pair)

IegO L70530 Power cords

The first upgrade was my purchase of the Polk Lsi9 speakers. In looking through the thread, I didn't see too many other people using Polks. Anybody heard them before?

Edited by Norm

This has been a great thread to read through. I thought I may as well list my system even though I'm new here, due to the fact that it was a resurgent interest in jazz that drove me to upgrade my system (previous system consisted of all Sony components purchased in 1993). This began in February 2008 and I just got it to where I want it this past June. The only possible changes in the future that I can foresee would be the addition of a turntable but of course that has other implications (i.e. buying vinyl). Anyway here goes. With the exception of the CD player, everything was purchased used (on Audiogon or Ebay):

Parasound Halo T3 Tuner

Polk Audio Lsi9 speakers

IegO L70530 Power cords

The first upgrade was my purchase of the Polk Lsi9 speakers. In looking through the thread, I didn't see too many other people using Polks. Anybody heard them before?

I've heard Polks. They make some fine speakers. I've gotten so used to the "Radial" design speakers I've used this century that I don't really settle into the sound of other dsigns.

Parasound Halo T3 Tuner

Polk Audio Lsi9 speakers

IegO L70530 Power cords

I have a pair of Polk Audio speakers that I bought 25 years ago, and they are still going strong and sound terrific.

• 3 weeks later...

I'll bite... Not a lot has changed in 4 - 5 years aside from some new speaker cables necessitated by a furniture moves. I'm intrigued by the Squeezebox... streaming all of those wonderful emusic downloads to this system is something that pulls at me.

Nottingham Analog Spacedeck / Spacearm / Dynavector XX-2

Nottingham Analog Wave Mechanic PS

Dynavector P75 Phonostage

Dynavector L200 Preamp

Dynavector HX75 Poweramp

Exposure 2010 CD Player

Sony KA1ESA Tapedeck

Rega Headphone Amp

Rega Tuner

Neat Acoustics Vito Speakers

• 7 months later...