neveronfriday

Your audio equipment?

343 posts in this topic

After over 10 years this happened. Someone reached out to me with a Carina. I was very happy until it arrived and it was the worst packing job I have ever seem (From the UPS store mind you). The seller wasn't comfortable packing it but UPS was not the answer in this case. After going through it the last two days I have it as presentable as it's going to get. From far away it's okay but up close it's a mess on the sides and front and one of the tranny bells is dented ever so slightly but I am keeping it. It sounds really great so far but will get a good going through soon. 

IMG-1663resize.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, charlieboy said:

After over 10 years this happened. Someone reached out to me with a Carina. I was very happy until it arrived and it was the worst packing job I have ever seem (From the UPS store mind you). The seller wasn't comfortable packing it but UPS was not the answer in this case. After going through it the last two days I have it as presentable as it's going to get. From far away it's okay but up close it's a mess on the sides and front and one of the tranny bells is dented ever so slightly but I am keeping it. It sounds really great so far but will get a good going through soon. 

 

Very nice. What are the output tubes - EL84? My speakers have EL86 which are getting harder to find, so I'm trying not to waste them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The tubes are EL84/6BQ5.

 

I lost track if my dear friend Eddie Vaughn about 13 years ago and after several attempts over the years I could never make contact with him. I saw an obituary in 2015 for an Eddie Vaughn in Arkansas where he was from. It’s been on my mind for some time and I recently was able to acquire an original Carina amp he had built as I always wanted one. That's why I put up with the shipping mishap and will be keeping it even though up close it has seen many many better days, but as it now just has another chapter to the story of me trying to track one down it will remain here with me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On Saturday this set arrived for my bedroom of 10 x 14 feet - perfect for this small room, coupled with a old turntable style Pioneer CD player. That miniature amp is great. I paid € 479,00 for it sans CD player, which is much less than what the single components would have cost me. Micromega MyAmp plus two Focal Chrous 760 speakers plus speaker wire of good quality.

41AX%2BLx7ZvL._AC_.jpg

https://micromega.com/en/products/my-range/myamp/

Edited by mikeweil

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Added this record clamp recently. 
 

E7056C35-8D09-4302-A42F-120B3F6C408D.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Brad said:

Added this record clamp recently. 
 

E7056C35-8D09-4302-A42F-120B3F6C408D.jpeg

I got a similar one recently:

61u4sqR-uWL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

Do you like yours?  I can't really say it makes my records sound better, but I love how it adds to the ritual of playing a record.  In fact, I recently got a bag of those yellow 45 inserts, to allow me to use the clamp while I play 45's.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, mjzee said:

I got a similar one recently:

61u4sqR-uWL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

Do you like yours?  I can't really say it makes my records sound better, but I love how it adds to the ritual of playing a record.  In fact, I recently got a bag of those yellow 45 inserts, to allow me to use the clamp while I play 45's.

Yes, I like it but like you I’m unsure if it really reduces vibrations. However, if you have warped records, they’re supposed to be very effective. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use a Groovetracer record weight (not a clamp) with my Rega turntable. I too like the added step to the "ritual," and I think it sounds a bit better using it--which I only mention because my wife thinks so as well, and she has no dog in the hunt.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/28/2020 at 10:03 AM, Dave James said:

Mid-60's McIntosh MR 67 FM tuner, C 24 Solid State pre-amp and  MC 250 amp.  Mid-60's JBL 030 15" speakers.  Two Thorens turntables, a TD-125 and a TD -160.  

I just bought the MR 80 tuner and it should arrive next week.   What sort of antenna did you attach to it?  Maybe none at all?    I’ve seen some discussion online where people really get into the weeds on this and have elaborate antenna set ups.    I won’t be doing that, but am just curious.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Greg Metz STS modified Thorens TD124 MKII in custom plinth, with an Alfred Bokrand Custom Ortofon Tonearm mounted on a black sourced armboard, with a beloved brand new NOS Ortofon SPU Royal A cartridge, topped off with Nordost Quattro-fil phono cable.

IMG-1960resize.jpg

IMG-1961resize.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lenco PTP build with a Fidelity Research FR-24 MKII tonearm is setup with an Audio Technica cartridge for starters. I'll be trying several different cartridges in the coming time.

IMG-2153resize.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What's that reel-to-reel on the floor; Akai? Do you use it? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My system is extremely bare-bones and far from hi-fi, but it suits me fine (for now). I spend enough collecting records, I can't see collecting gear too!

AT-VM95E > Technics SL-D2 > Sansui Model 2000 > PSB Image 5T

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/11/2021 at 9:55 AM, Brad said:

Just saw this on Analog Planet.

Pro-Ject Announces 5 New Analog Products

Thinking about the record sweeper. 

Added the record sweeper. Even if you wet clean your records right before playing, this device picks up a lot of dust. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.