Steel Player From Beyond Outer Space

JSngry

It's one of those Mar-Vel things (for all their reputation as a "rockabilly" label, most of what they put out seems to be more along the lines of "Western Swing" on its way to becoming rockabilly...)...I'm at work now and can't devote a lot of time to finding it, but there is a label photo somewhere on the net...no personnel listed (unlike some one or two things on the label)...but if we could get a name, that would be great...probably some "local" guy...lost forever, maybe...

It's one of those Mar-Vel things (for all their reputation as a "rockabilly" label, most of what they put out seems to be more along the lines of "Western Swing" on its way to becoming rockabilly...)...I'm at work now and can't devote a lot of time to finding it, but there is a label photo somewhere on the net...no personnel listed (unlike some one or two things on the label)...but if we could get a name, that would be great...probably some "local" guy...lost forever, maybe...

This source says "Honky Tonikin' Rhythm" was recorded for Mar-Vel at Universal Studios in Chocago and Bill MCall was involved in the production too.

http://www.rockabilly.nl/references/messages/bobby_sisco.htm

So maybe that steel man was a session player either from Harry Glenn's Mar-Vel roster or from Universal Studios? Don't know if this would narrow down or in fact widen the search but it might be a lead.

Maybe info about the Mar-Vel label itself would yield something? The "Mar-Vel Masters" LP series released in the late 70s on the Cowboy Carl label has pretty extensive liner notes (unfortunately I only have Vol. 2 but not Vol. 3 which has this Bobby Sisco track - I have "Honky Tonkin' Rhythm" on 2 other compilations - but judging by the liner notes on Vol. 2 they cover the ground pretty well).

Haven't found anything online yet but there must be some rockabilly/hillbilly collecting nut out there (on or off the web) who has this info at his fingertips so it might be worth a search ...

Curly Chalker y'all! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cy_TJVdoCz4...feature=related

Not exactly from beyond outer space...but anybody who can transform an entire environment for a few seconds like he does has gotta have some kind of mojo...

RFD TV! wooo! :rhappy:

That is a killer funky beat starting about about 3:00.

I deem this guy officially awesome.

Edited by WD45

Curly Chalker on those tunes reminds me of when Trane would come in after Miles and everything would just...change a little bit until he got back out...not everybody can do that.

Now here's an interesting clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8z2qvcHBCM...feature=related

Is there anything like this happening in country now, and I am just missing it?

Locally, here in Texas, yeah, to some extent. But it's very much a cult thing.