"Charles McPherson's Post-Bird Bop"

Hey -- I just Googled "Joe San Diego alto saxophonist" and came up with the right guy, Joe Marillo:

http://joemarillo.com

Three albums are available with good players, e,g, Mike Wofford, but Marillo is on tenor, not alto. Clips sound darn good. And check out the video.

And here is Marillo with Jimmy Cavallo and his House Rockers in 1956, from the movie "Rock, Rock, Rock."

Marillo is on our right:

My opinion of Charles McPherson differs quite a bit from much of what I have read here. He has long been a strong favorite of mine.

His playing with the Detroit group of musicians showed him at his best. He and Barry Harris were/ are an ideal match. Charles is a great bebop saxophonist who has a strong link to Bird via Barry. His Xanadu recordings as well as his Prestige sessions are gems.

Charles played a concert here in Tucson not too long ago and sounded marvelous. He played with great passion and swung beautifully.

• 3 years later...

read this thread yesterday and couldn't leave that open question end it... It looks like the altoist Larry heard in the early 70s was a man named Joe Marillo. This fits the "Joe + Italian Surname" pattern Larry remembered, the story about coming to San Diego via Las Vegas is confirmed in his obit here and the self-produced album may well have been this one:

https://www.discogs.com/Joe-Marillo-Quartet-Lady-Caroline/master/458932

R-3768298-1343630113-2432.jpeg.jpg

The way I found out is quite funny btw: I bought Joe Romano's FreshSound Album yesterday and then read the .org threads on Romano (including this one). Stumbled across Marillo when I checked out the discography of bassist John Leftwich who plays both on Romano's album and on this one...

Edited by Niko

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...