Jazz 625....

Hardbopjazz

Does anyone know if these are available on DVD? The program was from London. I am looking for the one with Sonny Rollins at Ronnie Scott's in 1972.

Many of them were 'officially' available on VHS about 12 or so years ago in the UK - licensed from the Beeb. A few have been issued on DVD in Andorra through 'Improv-Jazz' and their ilk but I'm not sure how legit these are. Occasionally, some of the shows are broadcast by the BBC. Re: the Rollins - it won't be a 'Jazz 625' as that series was broadcast in B&W in 1964 and 1965 only. If it's the show when Rollins comes out of his taxi on Frith St playing wild tenor, goes through the main entrance to the club and then segues into the band I think I might have caught it when it was originally broadcast but have never seen it since. It certainly left a lasting impression with me ! Possibly part of BBC2's 'In Concert' series - but definitely not 'Jazz 625'.

Sadly, quite a few of the original 'Jazz 625's' were erased in the 1970s to free up blank tape for game shows etc.

Edited by sidewinder

It’s scary to even think that someone who have erased some any of these. The one with Rollins I saw was about 4 minutes long, but ends in the middle of his solo. It is from Ronnie Scott’s and has the year 1972 at the opening of the clip. It also claims to be Jazz 625, albeit I can't prove the program is actually 625. It is also in color and you state these were only black and white.

Does anyone know if these are available on DVD? The program was from London. I am looking for the one with Sonny Rollins at Ronnie Scott's in 1972.

Many of them were 'officially' available on VHS about 12 or so years ago in the UK - licensed from the Beeb. A few have been issued on DVD in Andorra through 'Improv-Jazz' and their ilk but I'm not sure how legit these are. Occasionally, some of the shows are broadcast by the BBC. Re: the Rollins - it won't be a 'Jazz 625' as that series was broadcast in B&W in 1964 and 1965 only. If it's the show when Rollins comes out of his taxi on Frith St playing wild tenor, goes through the main entrance to the club and then segues into the band I think I might have caught it when it was originally broadcast but have never seen it since. It certainly left a lasting impression with me ! Possibly part of BBC2's 'In Concert' series - but definitely not 'Jazz 625'.

Sadly, quite a few of the original 'Jazz 625's' were erased in the 1970s to free up blank tape for game shows etc.

I'm sure I've not seen this, love too see it televised if it still exists.

This wasn't Jazz 625. There was a later series titled 'Jazz Goes To College' which included the Max Roach quintet with Rollins but this wasn't at Ronnie's and was recorded in 1966. My best guess is that it was a programme titled 'Ronnie Scott - And All That Jazz' which was made around 1989. It was a 30th birthday tribute to the club and featured interviews with many musicians ( including Rollins ) and performance clip ( again including Rollins ).

I'm sure I've not seen this, love too see it televised if it still exists.

Definitely saw it John - but my hunch is that it will have been wiped by the Beeb. Around the same time there was also a show about Ginger Baker playing drums in Africa that I also remember seeing.

This wasn't Jazz 625. There was a later series titled 'Jazz Goes To College' which included the Max Roach quintet with Rollins but this wasn't at Ronnie's and was recorded in 1966. My best guess is that it was a programme titled 'Ronnie Scott - And All That Jazz' which was made around 1989. It was a 30th birthday tribute to the club and featured interviews with many musicians ( including Rollins ) and performance clip ( again including Rollins ).

It is from 1972 or so, I made a judgement by Sonny's beard, hair and cloths. He looks like the cover of the "Next Album."

Edited by Hardbopjazz

I went to a couple of Jazz Goes to College recordings. Albert Ayler at the London School Of Economics was one. Memory is a bit hazy about another. It was certainly in Chelsea, Horace Silver maybe?

A google search tells me that Silver did do a Jazz Goes To College but I couldn't find any details. Apparently the whole series is missing, presumed wiped.

Edited by JohnS

I went to a couple of Jazz Goes to College recordings. Albert Ayler at the London School Of Economics was one. Memory is a bit hazy about another. It was certainly in Chelsea, Horace Silver maybe?

A google search tells me that Silver did do a Jazz Goes To College but I couldn't find any details. Apparently the whole series is missing, presumed wiped.

Yet that Stan Getz Quartet show with Gary Burton from the LSE was broadcast recently on BBC4 - previously no shows from that series were thought to survive. I wonder if there are any others that they uncovered, or whether that particular show was just a quirk.

Yet that Stan Getz Quartet show with Gary Burton from the LSE was broadcast recently on BBC4 - previously no shows from that series were thought to survive. I wonder if there are any others that they uncovered, or whether that particular show was just a quirk.

I'm hoping for more Jazz Goes To College shows to emerge as well. Heaven knows what exactly is in the BBC archives and what is just myth. You would have thought that it would be possible for the BBC to reveal this. Anyway, from Jazz On The Screen, the complete list of shows appears to be :

Sonny Rollins/Max Roach Quintet, The MJQ, Astrud Gilberto, Horace Silver, The Ronnie Ross Big Band, The Max Roach Quintet, Stan Getz Quartet, Albert Ayler, Stan Tracey Quartet, Tubby Hayes Big Band, Dave Brubeck Quartet. ( All between 1966 and 1967 ).

On another, related, topic I'm wondering whether the BBC ( probably BBC 4 ) is planning something to mark Blue Note's 70th Anniversary. The BBC loves an anniversary to hang its programme's on - like the 1959 programmes earlier in the year - so maybe there's a chance.

On another, related, topic I'm wondering whether the BBC ( probably BBC 4 ) is planning something to mark Blue Note's 70th Anniversary. The BBC loves an anniversary to hang its programme's on - like the 1959 programmes earlier in the year - so maybe there's a chance.

A 'Blue Note Night' would be good !

• 3 weeks later...