Olio - Various Artists

Tom 1960

d3925874b51.jpg

Interesting album here, heavily influenced by Teddy Charles who supervised the session. Great lineup. Not sure how many of you guys already own this or not? I just received this in the mail courtesy Oldies.com. Glad I picked this one up. While I already own a few of Charles' dates, I really have to get more.

Edited by Tom 1960

d3925874b51.jpg

Interesting album here, heavily influenced by Teddy Charles who supervised the session. Great lineup. Not sure how many of you guys already own this or not? I just received this in the mail courtesy Oldies.com. Glad I picked this one up. While I already own a few of Charles' dates, I really have to get more.

"Interesting" is an appropriate word to describe that one, imo. Glad I have it - some good playing & compositions but not an essential record.

Like all of the Prestige "jam sessions" this is better than ok but not essential. I think I have all of them - 18 (depending on your filing system), not counting the Ammons sessions. Weinstock was really proud of these and that's fine with me.

Chuck, would you be so kind a post the list of these 18 releases, please? Just so we youngsters know what to hunt for...

I am aware of:

Roots

Earthy

Outskirts of Town

and I own:

Olio

but I think that's all... (or I forgot some or file some under one particular artist, who knows... All Night Long and All Day Long are under Burrell and/or Byrd in my shelves, for instance)

Like all of the Prestige "jam sessions" this is better than ok but not essential. I think I have all of them - 18 (depending on your filing system), not counting the Ammons sessions. Weinstock was really proud of these and that's fine with me.

Chuck, would you be so kind a post the list of these 18 releases, please? Just so we youngsters know what to hunt for...

I am aware of:

Roots

Earthy

Outskirts of Town

and I own:

Olio

but I think that's all... (or I forgot some or file some under one particular artist, who knows... All Night Long and All Day Long are under Burrell and/or Byrd in my shelves, for instance)

I include:

Just Wailin'

3 Trumpets

2 Trumpets

2 Guitars

All Day Long

All Night Long

Tenor Conclave

Interplay for 2 Trumpets and 2 Tenors

After Hours

Wheelin' and Dealin'

Cattin'

Very Saxy

Dakar

The Cats

Coolin'

and you could add a couple of Swingville dates.

I am aware of:

Roots

Earthy

Outskirts of Town

and I own:

Olio

I include:

Just Wailin'

3 Trumpets

2 Trumpets

2 Guitars

All Day Long

All Night Long

Tenor Conclave

After Hours

Wheelin' and Dealin'

Cattin'

Very Saxy

Dakar

The Cats

Coolin'

Thanks!

I need Coolin' and the multiple trumpets, have the rest, I think... didn't think of all those with Coltrane... The Cats and Cattin' are among my favourites from this bunch of albums!

As for Swingvilles - the one on the Hawkins "Bean & The Boys" CD, originally titled "Stasch", was that a Hawkins album, or more of a jam thing? Looks kind of interesting... the disc's around as a cut-out in a local sale right now!

I include:

Just Wailin'

3 Trumpets

2 Trumpets

2 Guitars

All Day Long

All Night Long

Tenor Conclave

After Hours

Wheelin' and Dealin'

Cattin'

Very Saxy

Dakar

The Cats

Coolin'

Is The Garland Quintet's "All Mornin' Long" in this mix as well?

• 6 years later...
On 29.7.2009 at 4:23 PM, Chuck Nessa said:

I include:

Just Wailin'

3 Trumpets

2 Trumpets

2 Guitars

All Day Long

All Night Long

Tenor Conclave

After Hours

Wheelin' and Dealin'

Cattin'

Very Saxy

Dakar

The Cats

Coolin'

Cattin' would be the Coltrane/Quinichette album, right?

I have most of those, although I'm still hunting for affordable copies of Roots and Outskirts of Town.

I think the Four Altos album (Phil Woods, Gene Quill, Sahib Shihab, Hal Stein) also belongs on this list, as does the Curtis Fuller & Hampton Hawes with French Horns album (which was in fact the other half of the Modern Jazz Survey "series" alongside what later became known as Dakar).

Edited by Kyo