Bobby Broom?

Hardbopjazz

Hi everyone,

Thanks to the guy who started the thread about my new Monk CD and to those who responded with a positive spirit about it, whether they’d been previously aware of me and my music or not. I appreciate places like this because it can be a good environment for sharing knowledge and tastes in music among many people across great distances. And, as I have seen in one of the more recent comments on that thread, even negativity can fuel curiosity in potential fans.

Those who didn't like the record and had negative comments to share should realize that I’ve worked hard for more than 30 years to present myself in this field, and there is certainly nothing half-hearted, bogus, or negative about that. It’s only natural for some not to care for my music or my guitar playing, but it’s another thing to publicly criticize unecessarily or with harsh vehemence. I don't think those who are in the jazz business should be publicly disrespectful of respected jazz musicians.

In any case, the trio will begin touring in a few weeks, starting at home in Chicago for a party weekend at The Green Mill, onto Birdland in NYC, then Cincinnati at the Redmoor, Indy at The Jazz Kitchen, Blues Alley in D.C., Night Town in Cleveland, Firefly in Ann Arbor, and then hopefully out West. Please check my website for updates. Thanks again and I hope to see some of you soon.

Bobby

Edited by Bobby Broom

Welcome to the board! I'm a big fan of yours, saw you live with Sonny Rollins a few months ago - I consider myself a fan and would love to hear your trio over here (do you have an agent for Europe?).

I would never doubt it's the way you wanted it - it's just that I like other concepts of drumming better for Monk. Kobie Watkins is a great player and I can see what you appreciate about him. Just a matter of taste - and I repeat that I like you guitar playing on the Monk tunes a lot!

Hey Bobby, welcome to the board! Glad you've stopped in and hope to see you soon! One of the most fun gigs we've done is when the Deep Blue Organ Trio played before organissimo at Andy's! What a blast hearing you and Greg and my main man Chris Foreman! Say hello to him please the next time you see him!

Bobby,

Welcome! It's great to have the people playing the music we love come here to share that love.

I went and read the thread you referenced. I found it very positive. A couple of people said they didn't like the drummer but even that was qualified. Overall, I'd say the "reviews" were Thumbs Up. :) I certainly didn't see anyone "criticize unnecessarily or with harsh vehemence"!

Believe me, hang around here a bit and you'll see some unnecessary criticism. :D

Later,

Kevin

Guest Bill Barton

Let me add my "welcome to the forum" best wishes, Bobby!

As one of the members who offered what might be deemed negative reactions to your new CD, please let me clarify...

I said:

"So far I'm underwhelmed by the Broom... Pleasant enough but decidedly un-Monkish."

After a few more listens I'm warming to the recording considerably, though I still find (for my ears) the approach to be more akin to - say - Tatum than it is to Monk. That doesn't negate the quality of the music.

yes, that's the great thing about being a member of this forum - no one will ever say a bad word about you here again -

well...................................

all seriousness aside, and I mentioned this before, and I know you only had vague memories of it, but years ago, Al Haig told me about "this kid who can really play guitar;" you then worked with him in what I believe was his one and only appearance at the West End in NYC - though I can't remember who the rest of the rhythm section was (might have been Ben Brown and Jimmy Wormsworth, but this goes back about 30 years) -

Edited by AllenLowe