False Dawns in Hi-Fi

A Lark Ascending

Did anybody mention the 8cm CD yet? Plays in some standard players but has no dedicated device. My previous CD player played them, my current SACD player I doubt it - but hey I do have one (only one, it was free) so maybe I'll pop it in... and no doubt mess up my player!

Um, nobody has yet risen to my claim that CD was a false dawn? Or that downloads will disapear without trace? Y'all got me on ignore....? :(

Edited by David Ayers

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

45hip2.jpg

philco.jpg

A few years later I remember reading in Billboard about a unit that played discs with two songs on them. They were called something like hip singles because the discs would fit in your hip pocket. I never saw them in stores.

Was getting caught up on this thread and was just about to post about this. I've a friend who recently bought a collection of Hip-Pocket Records and a player that he found at the swap meet.

More info here... http://cultureandcommunication.org/deadmed..._Pocket_Records

The general site itself fits into the discussion here as well - "Dead Media Archve" - http://cultureandcommunication.org/deadmed...x.php/Main_Page

Hi David, yes I mentioned the smaller cd's, Phillips made a device just for them called the Philips Pocket Expanium Mini Disc Player.

Ah! Yes I see these have now caught on for data storage. I wonder how many commercial music releases there are in this format though...

I have six of these. I'm not sure I can tell you why....

Three from MCA's Vintage Gold series:

Louis Armstrong (I kept it for the one track I don't have elsewhere.)

Bo Diddley

Bo Diddley II (These eight tracks are about all the Bo I feel I need.)

Two from Delos' Pocket Classics series:

Timeless All Stars

Joe Williams - Come Back

And an Ensoniq promo CD by the Dixie Dregs - two tunes and an interview. This one came with an adapter to play these oddities in a car CD player.

I'm playing the Joe Williams now. When I stuck it in the computer, iTunes recognized it and came up with the track and artist info, much to my surprise.